• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX update

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Emotionally pissed, that sounds like a great reason to not make rational decisions.

Things are going to get worse, you know it, I know it. Good luck.

ABX, ASTAR, separate to the end.:beer:

Intellectually we know we have have to unify, but emotionally we are still fu(king pi$$ed. What we remember is what your lawsuit actually said, not what your MEC said it meant 2 years after they didn't win.

Even our union tries to smooth things out on behalf of your union, but what was claimed by ALPA was extremely serious $hit. Had things gone your way, my kids would be eating spam while we were living in a van down by the river.

Remember UPS?

Yes, I do. Now explain how it applies here.

Folks, let’s think of this dilemma with two things in mind-
short term goals and long term goals.

Long term: assuming a corporate merger doesn't happen, we need to think about one union for all DHL pilots. Let’s set aside arguments for which union for now: I think you all know how I feel. I’ll have plenty to say about it when the time comes.

Short term: NO concessionary contracts!

"You are not purple or brown and you will NEVER see any contract that remotely resembles anything close to theirs. Don't get me wrong."

NEVER? Under our CURRENT contract my hourly rate, days off and time away from base are ALL better than the same years of seniority and type at the others.

"You are not purple or brown and you will NEVER see any contract that remotely resembles anything close to theirs. Don't get me wrong."

NEVER? Under our CURRENT contract my hourly rate, days off and time away from base are ALL better than the same years of seniority and type at the others.

I'm sure the time off and time away is better (but how many of your days off do you due open flying?), but I don't think you really want to even compare paychecks and retirement (not to mention job security) with the same seniority at Brown.

I will assume that you are a 767 FO/IRO on 10th year pay (lemme know how close I am;) ). Not figuring in any IRO override for either company here, just basics.

First, the easy one. No 12% B-Fund.

Second, while your hourly rate is $150 an hour compared to $145 at Brown, your guarantee is 16 hours lower than Brown. Hence, the Brown driver is ahead of the game $1,995 per month.

Same scenario at Purple. Not gonna run the numbers. Too lazy. Wild guess would be Purple has you by about 1000-1500 just on guarantee.

But I agree, it is hard to put a price on time off.

Like the MasterCard commercial says, Time Off... Priceless. Their guarantees are indeed higher, you'll notice I only mentioned hourly rate. I will gladly give up that $1-2k in guarantee for my 20-30 hours of actual flying and 20-25 days at home. Then if I desire to make up that difference, a day or two of extra flying and still home for 20+ (including non-call reserve days). I fly domestic only and have yet to miss any holiday at home with my little boy.

As for pensions, for now we have a better than average one, but in this day and age I am not counting on it being there in 25 years, if it is, that's gravy.

As far as job security, no arguement there, but can't really negotiate that, just look at all the legacies. The original post referred to contracts not being equitable.

I was only responding to the writer saying we would NEVER have anything even close to Brown or Purple. I believe they both used OUR payscales in their negotiations and while there is always room for improvement, I'd say we're certainly in the ballpark.

Last edited:
Yes, I do. Now explain how it applies here.

Folks, let’s think of this dilemma with two things in mind-
short term goals and long term goals.

Long term: assuming a corporate merger doesn't happen, we need to think about one union for all DHL pilots. Let’s set aside arguments for which union for now: I think you all know how I feel. I’ll have plenty to say about it when the time comes.

Short term: NO concessionary contracts!

penguin22..........What he said.....ditto.

How tough do you think it would really be to replace 40 or so airplanes? They would have that many planes replaced inside of 2 weeks if not much sooner.

Santa Klaus Zumwinkel said:

"If we can grow at 4 percent to 5 percent compared with market growth of 3 percent to 4 percent that should be enough to break even in 2009.'' The company is sticking to a target of U.S. operations breaking even in three years"

I'm not sure how they expect to attain these lofty goals when they drop entire States (Montana, trucked from DEN starting Jan) from the next-day express lineup. How about CLE? It's trucked as of Jan (until it snows), still next day service though. It's only a matter of time until they pizzoff an entire market and lose thousands of customers again. If they really intend to bring additional carriers into the system (BTW, Astar insiders have hinted of that for 07) they should adjust their break-even target to something like 2012. It was hard enough trying to indoctrinate those Astar guys (kidding). Either they want increased market share or break-even by 09, they can't have both under the current two-party, 1/2 wit system.

Last edited:
Santa Klaus Zumwinkel said:

"If we can grow at 4 percent to 5 percent compared with market growth of 3 percent to 4 percent that should be enough to break even in 2009.'' The company is sticking to a target of U.S. operations breaking even in three years"

I'm not sure how they expect to attain these lofty goals when they drop entire States (Montana, trucked from DEN starting Jan) from the next-day express lineup. How about CLE? It's trucked as of Jan (until it snows), still next day service though. It's only a matter of time until they pizzoff an entire market and lose thousands of customers again. If they really intend to bring additional carriers into the system (BTW, Astar insiders have hinted of that for 07) they should adjust their break-even target to something like 2012. It was hard enough trying to indoctrinate those Astar guys (kidding). Either they want increased market share or break-even by 09, they can't have both under the current two-party, 1/2 wit system.

Cound not agree more.

More carriers at ILN will cause chaos!

More trucking of express freight is guaranteed to lose the customer.

DHL just does not get.

Witness our new partnership with Ver Di and our contacts on the Deutsche Post Supervisory Board. All the years you guys have had with DHL, why haven’t you reached out to them like that?

Did that work? It seems like every time ABX pilots reach out to DHL, DHL gives ABX pilots a reach-around. Maybe if ABX pilots told DHL to bite their sacks they would be awarded more flying. Seems to work for Astar. Isn't ABX losing Lubbock, HRL, and ABQ sometime early next year?

Latest resources

Back