• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Severance pay

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
1. DHL has allocated $75 million for ABX Pilot severance pay.

That's severence and retention pay. I realize that some of you who are about to be or already have been furloughed don't think those amoung us who are leaving for other jobs or going to hang on to the bitter end should get anything at all. After all, as your logic goes, they still have jobs. This is argueably true for those resigning to go to other jobs, but the truth is that those who stay, whatever their reason, may not have jobs either come July '09. They will, most if not all of them, have problems similar to your own. They will need something to help tide them over until the economy picks back up and they can find another job. If the jobs are gone because the company has filed bankruptcy some will be forced into retirement at substantially less than what had been promised. No amount of severence or retention will make up that loss, but that is no reason they should be excluded.

2. DHL has stipulated that ABX and local 1224 must come to an agreement about how the money will be dispersed before it can be released.

True. I can just imagine the laughter in the DPWN/DHL boardroom as they contemplate us squabbling with our management over this.

3. ATSG/ABX management wants the money to be used to fund the pension. This will relieve the company of the responsibility so they can keep more money.

Again, true or somewhat true. As I understand it management wants part of the money to go to the pension fund. This would "free up" other funds to pay a portion of the debt load, and argueably make the difference between the company surviving and our having recall rights, no matter how unlikely for some,to a going concern.

4. Local 1224 does not want the $75 million to be used to fund the pension.

Again, true. From the hotlines and meetings, as I understand it, money put into the pension fund at this late date could be pulled out by a bankruptcy judge. Further, the money would not be adequate to fully fund and close the pension, so putting it there on the possibility that the company might survive as a result is a huge gamble. If the gamble fails we all lose.

Last May we had about 650 pilots. The company projects that we will have about 275 left when all the dust settles. That means 375 will be displaced. If the $75 million were divided among the displaced workers it would come to $200,000 per laid off pilot.

Please tell me which parts I got wrong and if there are any other important details that I have missed.

Thanks.

Again, once the dust settles none of us may have jobs. From that perspective alone I think all of us who are not leaving voluntarily for other jobs are entitled to a portion of the money in some fashion. The union's plan, as I understand it, was to treat it all as a form of severence with some of it being paid out to those who are furloughed and some being held in a form of escrow to be paid out if those remaining were to lose their jobs in the next 3 years. On the face of it, that solution begs some questions.

My optimum solution would be to fully fund and close the pension with some mechanism in place to allow those who need to use some of that money access to it. This would protect those about to retire and allow other to keep and use money they might otherwise never see. I don't know if that is even possible legally, and I doubt managment will agree, as it would require money from them, or additional funds from DHL to get the job done. That my perspective, I'm sure your mileage differs.

Since my optimum solution is DOA another will have to be found.

I think it totaly unreasonable that anyone should expect roughly twice their annual base pay to the exclusion of the rest of us in the event of a furlough.

I could, with some reservations, support a plan which provided a projected distribution based on annual base as of May 2008 with the actual distribution to occur when you lose your job.

The bottom line for all of us is that DPWN/DHL chose, for their own reasons, to pit our management against us over this money. In the end, there will have to be some compromise none of us will like or we may well risk all of the money going away. I, for one, would like to know exactly what the agreement between DPWN/DHL and our mangement specifies with respect to the money. Does it revert to DHL once they pull the plug? What happens to it if the company goes bankrupt?

Laser, you are right about the knife part! You are making this alot harder than it is. The union hotline said the money would be divided among all pilots on the seniority list as of 5/28/08. That would be split at your curent seat and pay level. In your plan those that stay do not get anything for the retension portion that DHL said they would pay for. Also if their job goes away in a week, month or 6 months who would pony up then? If you where making 100k a year do you think you should get 200K? when you get laid off? Maybe you should get off the pipe!

Thanks for your comment. I think we need this kind of dialog.

Your statement "In your plan those that stay do not get anything for the retension (sp) portion that DHL said they would pay for" is difficult for me to address because I do not have a "plan." I was not proposing that everyone should get $200.000. I was only stating that as a way to put it into meaningful terms. Kind of like when reporters tell us how much the government stimulus package would be if divided among all Americans. Sorry if that part was confusing. I am not making a proposal at this time. Only trying to understand what 1224 is proposing.

I think a more pertinent question is "is 1224 opposed to using the $75 million to fund the pension plan?" That is what I think I have heard. Can anyone address that question?

Thanks for your comment. I think we need this kind of dialog.

Your statement "In your plan those that stay do not get anything for the retension (sp) portion that DHL said they would pay for" is difficult for me to address because I do not have a "plan." I was not proposing that everyone should get $200.000. I was only stating that as a way to put it into meaningful terms. Kind of like when reporters tell us how much the government stimulus package would be if divided among all Americans. Sorry if that part was confusing. I am not making a proposal at this time. Only trying to understand what 1224 is proposing.

I think a more pertinent question is "is 1224 opposed to using the $75 million to fund the pension plan?" That is what I think I have heard. Can anyone address that question?

Again Laser, I have to ask have you ever once called the union hotline? All of these questions are answered.

Dog. I have listened to all available information. I asked the question because there have been conflicting statements.

Why don't you say what you think is the answer to the question "is 1224 opposed to using the $75 million to fund the pension plan?" I wouldn't think it should be a secret.

Dog. I have listened to all available information. I asked the question because there have been conflicting statements.

Why don't you say what you think is the answer to the question "is 1224 opposed to using the $75 million to fund the pension plan?" I wouldn't think it should be a secret.

Yes,Yes,Yes,Yes, did I say Yes? Laser again this has been said over and over. Eric also answered this question in #4 above. CALL THE UNION HALL! they can answer all your questions.

deleted

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back