• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX says NO THANK YOU to ASTAR

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This is from AirCargo World, not really new news, but the last line is interesting...

Astar offer thrown out as ABX chooses to go it alone

27-Jul-2007 : ABX has rejected Astar’s US$450 million takeover bid saying it was not in the shareholders’ best interests.

“It does not represent adequate value for stockholders,” said James Carey, chairman of the board of directors of ABX Air. The carrier believes its business plan will deliver more value over time to its stockholders than the Astar offer, and has made it very clear that what is currently on the table will not be considered further.

“While the board recognises that a combination of Astar and ABX Air would likely produce meaningful synergies, Astar’s indication of interest delivers none of the value of these synergies to ABX Air stockholders,” Carey said.

Joe Hete, chief executive of ABX Air, has made no indication that a counter bid will be offered. DHL however, will undoubtedly continue to push for the merger in its bid to gain more control over its US network.

Sorry..the link was no good....was in reference to a recent promotion in the DHL flt ops hierarchy...and the fellow's name turned up on the list...EAL'89...must have been a "crawl-back"....enjoy
Do you remember the name? We might as well know who we're dealing with.

This is from AirCargo World, not really new news, but the last line is interesting...

DHL however, will undoubtedly continue to push for the merger in its bid to gain more control over its US network.
Yeah, I think we can all agree this thing is far from over.

Personally, I'd rather have a merger w/ Astar. But not if it means this ANA flying gets split off. There's alot of potential with ANA, and the flying is fun! Having flown for both DHL and ANA, it's quite apparent to me that ANA is the class act that DHL only thinks it is.

shooter quote post # 26: well, how did you figure a merger would fix the ANA problems if they can't be fixed now? Did you think the ANA flying would go away? Did you figure the ASTAR guys would bid it? Just asking, not flaming.

A fair question, no flames sighted: extinguisher not reached for.

I have assumed that DHL through an Astar /ABX merger would have DHL concentrating upon flying their freight to reach their customer by 10.30 am ( core business) as the top priority without being sidetracked into a hybrid ACMI/ flight crew leasing abortion in secondary Asian markets.

It would seem that Joe has his head fully inserted where the sun doesn't shine and believes himself to have both a game plan and a future. I'm afraid that on both counts he is wrong.

So shooter; without a merger, what's your vision of the future? I do agree that the DHL Nazis have once again criminally goosed stepped and screwed it up - but do you honestly see salvation with ABX operating as a flight crew leasing/ ACMI hybrid with the flight crew in revolt to the point where they'll kill the company before accepting a domicile in the land of the rising sun?

Sometimes an undesirable option is the only option. At least it's a workable option.

fair question, but there is really no way for me know that. Maybe Joe can give me one of the golden parachute thingies and I can be told the whole big picture. Until then, I can only hope for what will put the least amount of ABX workers on the street.

I am sure I hope for what everyone hopes for; increased DHL work for both ABX and ASTAR without it being a rob Peter to pay Paul switch in carriers to a particular city pairing. But as long as we serve DHL, we cannot accept other flying that would compete with DHL without their direct permission as directed in the ACMI contract.

As far as the ANA, I had no idea that ABX pilots would rather shut the company down before accepting a deal to serve that customer. A real shame that you do not see any way for the company and pilot group to agree to something that both sides agree to. Because I see not only the ANA flying increasing, but other Asia ACMI contracts in the future for ABX. But it is what it is until it's over I guess.

True penguin, but I can speak for myself. You have to agree though that even a 23 day/ 3 month bid cycle for ANA flying has hit the skids, and the domicile concept is probably dead on arrival.

I personally found it heart warming to learn of the joy and fun you experienced in your ANA charter work and am sure that many, many others are equally happy for you :)

Of course, with seniority, a penguin can mix and match until it becomes no longer fun, to then walk away leaving other less exalted penguins on the greasy pole of seniority to carry on with it - indefinitely.

I do indeed only speak for myself yet my view point is far from unique. We, as a group, sleepwalked into this because a survey wasn't taken to determine the prevalent attitude to the ANA charter logistics which not surprisingly turn out as popular as a turd in a punch bowl. To the majority that is, with the exception of a few odd birds.

So penguin, going to snap up one of those cornucopia-of-fun live in Japan domicile slots are you? Bon voyage you warped eater of Antarctic fish, we'll all miss you.

Last edited:
True penguin, but I can speak for myself. You have to agree though that even a 23 day/ 3 month bid cycle for ANA flying has hit the skids, and the domicile concept is probably dead on arrival.

I personally found it heart warming to learn of the joy and fun you experienced in your ANA charter work and am sure that many, many others are equally happy for you :)

Of course, with seniority, a penguin can mix and match until it becomes no longer fun, to then walk away leaving other less exalted penguins on the greasy pole of seniority to carry on with it - indefinitely.

I do indeed only speak for myself yet my view point is far from unique. We, as a group, sleepwalked into this because a survey wasn't taken to determine the prevalent attitude to the ANA charter logistics which not surprisingly turn out as popular as a turd in a punch bowl. To the majority that is, with the exception of a few odd birds.

So penguin, going to snap up one of those cornucopia-of-fun live in Japan domicile slots are you? Bon voyage you warped eater of Antarctic fish, we'll all miss you.
Did you really take the domicile bid seriously?? It was just another negotiating tactic. It's already been withdrawn.

No, the domicile bid was unworkable for several reasons and wasn't a particularly smart card to play even as a negotiating ploy. It's the 23 day/3 month bid cycle that worries me.

As a compromise, flying the ANA charter on a N/S line basis works but I seriously doubt that management want to keep it that way. Although most view 12 days away as acceptable a 23 day possibly extended to 25 + sequence really has run into some serious opposition.

No, the domicile bid was unworkable for several reasons and wasn't a particularly smart card to play even as a negotiating ploy. It's the 23 day/3 month bid cycle that worries me.

As a compromise, flying the ANA charter on a N/S line basis works but I seriously doubt that management want to keep it that way. Although most view 12 days away as acceptable a 23 day possibly extended to 25 + sequence really has run into some serious opposition.

being away for 23 days and still being paid is better than dying on the vine with DHL. They have spoken as to who the favorite is.

Latest resources

Back