• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX furloughs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The COF Award posted day before yesterday for 5/23-31 shows 24 guys bidding 30 or so days! Kinda flies in the face of the stated 7 guys in June.

Two points.

1. Nobody ever said anything about not bidding OPF in May.

2. The COF award report doesn't tell you WHEN they bid and were awarded the COF trips. Many of those trips, if not all of them, were awarded before the decision was made to stop bidding OPF. I know that at least two of the guys on that list tried to give those trips back but their schedulers wouldn't take them back.

Please forgive me for my ignorance, but how is DHL killing ABX? Are they transfering flying to Astar, or forcing the rates down or what?

They are combining multiple flights into a single flight with through-stops. Astar isn't getting any new airplanes, they're just adding through-stops to existing trips.

The problem is that whenever they do this they lose the ability to make reliable morning deliveries in the terminating city because of the additional time it takes to make the stops. The ILN sort is already SCHEDULED to run the better part of an hour longer than it did prior to 2003. Once you add in the typical delays you have flights arriving at their terminating stations well into the morning.

Two points.

1. Nobody ever said anything about not bidding OPF in May.

2. The COF award report doesn't tell you WHEN they bid and were awarded the COF trips. Many of those trips, if not all of them, were awarded before the decision was made to stop bidding OPF. I know that at least two of the guys on that list tried to give those trips back but their schedulers wouldn't take them back.

1. Now that's what I call splitting hairs.

2. As I understand it, that is a list of trips AWARDED at 1200 on 5/23. It can be easily verified as to when each individual was awarded the trip. If one called scheds BEFORE the award to pull their bid, scheds would have no choice but to do so. If they let it ride until after the award, they get no credit for their "efforts" to drop the trips.

1. I don't think that it's splitting hairs. The May OPF was awarded before the furloughs were annouced. A handful of pilots picking up May COF will make no difference at all to the company, one way or the other. The furloughees are even being paid for all of May. The hotline message made no mention of May, only June.

If someone wanted June OPF but is refraining from bidding any, it would make sense for them to pick up some extra at the end of May and to possibly trade any June vacation that they had planned to buy back for vacation later in the year when they might be able to buy it back.

2. The report shows all COF trips that report anytime from 5/23 through 5/31. It doesn't show when the trips were awarded. To find out when the trips were awarded you would have to look at the individual's schedule in crewtrak and see the history of the assignment.

1. I don't think that it's splitting hairs. The May OPF was awarded before the furloughs were annouced. A handful of pilots picking up May COF will make no difference at all to the company, one way or the other. The furloughees are even being paid for all of May. The hotline message made no mention of May, only June.

If someone wanted June OPF but is refraining from bidding any, it would make sense for them to pick up some extra at the end of May and to possibly trade any June vacation that they had planned to buy back for vacation later in the year when they might be able to buy it back.

2. The report shows all COF trips that report anytime from 5/23 through 5/31. It doesn't show when the trips were awarded. To find out when the trips were awarded you would have to look at the individual's schedule in crewtrak and see the history of the assignment.

That being said, it's June or bust because there was no mention of July and OPFer's will be salivating.:bomb:

2. As I understand it, that is a list of trips AWARDED at 1200 on 5/23.

Well you understand wrong. When they run the COF award for any date it shows the COF trips that were awarded and are to be executed after the run date and time. It has nothing to do with when they were bid. The COF sheet run on the 23rd at noon will show all COF awards that starts after 1201 on the 23rd regardless if they were just bid or bid back on the last Wednesday in April.

If you want people to stay unified be a positive input to the situation not go out and start throwing stones, especially if your facts aren't straight, and then wonder why people stop wanting to support your cause.

Last edited:
If you want people to stay unified be a positive input to the situation not go out and start throwing stones, especially if your facts aren't straight, and then wonder why people stop wanting to support your cause.

Hey, nicely put. Wish I'd said that.

Anybody think they'll actually post the June open flying award? Does anybody know if they're required to?

Well you understand wrong. When they run the COF award for any date it shows the COF trips that were awarded and are to be executed after the run date and time. It has nothing to do with when they were bid. The COF sheet run on the 23rd at noon will show all COF awards that starts after 1201 on the 23rd regardless if they were just bid or bid back on the last Wednesday in April.

You are correct sir.

Hey, I'm not ashamed to admit when I'm wrong, I'm not fortunate enough to be among those who are never wrong; not the first time and won't be the last. Thanks for the correction, I would not intentionally spread misinformation.

Speaking of facts, it's not "my cause", but I stand behind my Union Leadership.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back