• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Air to Acquire CHI

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My position has always been your claimed scope was rendered invalid by the legal seperation (i.e. spin off as a seperate privately held company) of the former DHL Airways, now Astar, from DHL. I believe your legal analysis was faulty. Further, it was dangerous, as events have proven. I suspect you reacted emotionally rather rationally. It wan't a matter of being "nice", it was a matter of being smart. You should not have filed.

That, my friend, remains to be seen. But I still think it's pretty neat we agree on something....progress no?

Gentleman, I'm an ABX hopeful (just interviewed). I'm scared crazy and excited about this recent news. I agree that if this goes down the pilots need to be one to eliminate any whipsawing tactics.
However, CHI has been operating ATI and Capital as separate airlines with different pay, rules, etc. It seems(conference call) as if ABX Holdings wants to do the same except add ABX Air Inc. in the mix. During the conference call it was repeatedly stated that Joe wanted to learn from CHI. CHI has a company ( which looks for new routes and allocates assets to companies to make it work.)

Why would they ever allocate any new growth to ABX when it probably is more expensive(labor)?

Could this be a tactic to slowly phase out ABX Air Inc.?

It concerns me that ABX did not even tell DHL about this

What is this (ABX Air’s $92.3 million note payable to DHL. )?

Almost sounds like ABX is creating an exit strategy from DHL

By creating ABX holdings I think what happened was ABX depreciated all the assets for all 3 airlines or wrote them off in the taxes, so someone got real rich.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to make a good decision for my future and ABX was IDEAL (Location, Pay, Outlook). I still think that this could be HUGE, but there needs to be clear communication between all companies and issues worked out.

That, my friend, remains to be seen. But I still think it's pretty neat we agree on something....progress no?

Progress? Well,.... perhaps. I was never one who took a position that ABX was entitled to the former Airborne freight just becasue we had been flying it. My arguement always revolved around the validity of your claim. You are correct in that it remains to be seen if my opinion on the validity of you scope claim is correct.

I think the direction the case has taken is prima facie evidence that your choice to file was dangerous. I guess one could take the position that resolving the potential problem of a NLRB vs NMB case had to be done sooner or later.

I also felt that it was dangerous (to ABX) and disengenous of you to claim (if your claim was upheld) a judge or arbitrator would not order DHL to cease doing business with ABX. What any of us might think is a fair and reasonable settlement (or at least what you claim to think is one) has nothing to do with how those worthies might rule. It would have been altogether to easy for them to order other solutions which would not have had an adverse impact on DHL's ability to do business in the USA and would have been very detrimental to the career prospects of the ABX pilots.

quote=C-141/C-5;1446970]
However, CHI has been operating ATI and Capital as separate airlines with different pay, rules, etc. It seems(conference call) as if ABX Holdings wants to do the same except add ABX Air Inc. in the mix. During the conference call it was repeatedly stated that Joe wanted to learn from CHI. CHI has a company ( which looks for new routes and allocates assets to companies to make it work.)

Why would they ever allocate any new growth to ABX when it probably is more expensive(labor)?

By creating ABX holdings I think what happened was ABX depreciated all the assets for all 3 airlines or wrote them off in the taxes, so someone got real rich.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to make a good decision for my future and ABX was IDEAL (Location, Pay, Outlook). I still think that this could be HUGE, but there needs to be clear communication between all companies and issues worked out.[/quote]

Good questions.

They probably won’t if they can find a way not to unless they can cut our pay. This is the single biggest reason ABX’s pilots need to be proactive in uniting the groups and preventing the whipsawing.

Yes, it could be.

ABX is a publicly traded company. There are SEC rules about disclosure as related to insider trading. Further, ABX has no obligation to inform DHL prior to the announcement. It might even get into problems with control under US law.

What is this (ABX Air’s $92.3 million note payable to DHL.

That was part of the original spin-off deal when we were separated from Airborne as DHL bought Airborne. I’m not sure if I remember correctly but I think it was to provide us with operating capital after the spin-off.

Possibly. I don’t think that is the intent though. It is more of a safety net, gives us some leverage. Prior to this deal we were largely at the mercy of DHL. They were by far our largest customer, and the profit margins were very slim. While they are still our largest customer, we are not quite as dependant on them now.

Gentleman, I'm an ABX hopeful (just interviewed). I'm scared crazy and excited about this recent news. I agree that if this goes down the pilots need to be one to eliminate any whipsawing tactics.

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to make a good decision for my future and ABX was IDEAL (Location, Pay, Outlook). I still think that this could be HUGE, but there needs to be clear communication between all companies and issues worked out.

ABX did tell DHL prior to the public release. It was told to us in the hangar talks that was part of the delay and schedule conflict. It was to meet in Plantation to give them advanced notice. Don't believe all the DHL hates ABX talk you hear from Astar. DHL is a company that only cares about DHL. While you can see that the DHL people used to work with the Astar people by better treatment, DHL's parent company does not have that cord problem.

ABX cares about DHL business and does what it should for it. Sure you don't see the butt kissing like Astar and DHL share but if it were as bad as some make it sound DHL would not be fighting Astar on this whole scope thing. They would just give it to Astar if they were that deep in bed together and not waste all this money fighting it. As long as ABX provides the superior service we are known for, we should always be part of the DHL network. Even if Astar wants to kill us off, it's just not their call.

Hope you get a class and look forward to working w/you.:beer:

p.s. I forgot to add: That the CC did say they were going to keep the airlines separate at this time and it may remain so for ever. But when they talk about reducing costs that is hard to do by pitting the pilots against on another if they all work together (if possible) like many talk about on this board. My guess is the reduction of the fat on the top operating structures of all the companies. There is just a lot of double/triple jobs that can be streamlined. At least thats how I looked at it so take that for what its worth. The pilots fate truly does lie in the hands of the pilots of the 3 groups. I'm the one that should be worried more so than any crew.:erm:

Last edited:
Wow shootie, looks like you need another round of that anger management class huh?

me? where were you? it was good to see rest of your family show up though.

now, you want to try and explain what your demented feeble mind is try to extrude from my last post? Unless you want to just want to fight, I'm always game for that. But then you know that don't you anger buddy?

ABX did tell DHL prior to the public release. It was told to us in the hangar talks that was part of the delay and schedule conflict. It was to meet in Plantation to give them advanced notice. Don't believe all the DHL hates ABX talk you hear from Astar. DHL is a company that only cares about DHL. While you can see that the DHL people used to work with the Astar people by better treatment, DHL's parent company does not have that cord problem.

ABX cares about DHL business and does what it should for it. Sure you don't see the butt kissing like Astar and DHL share but if it were as bad as some make it sound DHL would not be fighting Astar on this whole scope thing. They would just give it to Astar if they were that deep in bed together and not waste all this money fighting it. As long as ABX provides the superior service we are known for, we should always be part of the DHL network. Even if Astar wants to kill us off, it's just not their call.

Hope you get a class and look forward to working w/you.:beer:

p.s. I forgot to add: That the CC did say they were going to keep the airlines separate at this time and it may remain so for ever. But when they talk about reducing costs that is hard to do by pitting the pilots against on another if they all work together (if possible) like many talk about on this board. My guess is the reduction of the fat on the top operating structures of all the companies. There is just a lot of double/triple jobs that can be streamlined. At least thats how I looked at it so take that for what its worth. The pilots fate truly does lie in the hands of the pilots of the 3 groups. I'm the one that should be worried more so than any crew.:erm:
Good post! You are right on target.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back