• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

ABX Air Declares DHL in Fault of Agreement

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It's not limited to 10%, but if outside revenues exceed that level, ABX has to start paying some of their own overhead expenses. Under 10% DHL picks up the tab.

"Regardless of who owns whom, DHL has for all intents and purposes failed to gain control of the lift into and out of KILN, which means that it now ultimately fails to control its own operation in the US.

It would have make sense, from the DHL perspective, to have made their stake in Astar and have Astar buy ABX on the day they purchased Airborne Express. A bit late for that now though.

Interesting times, because all the logical moves have failed to occur and what happens next is going to be the second best course of action. As I've said before, the bottom line is efficient lift, and he who has it will probably end up calling the tune."

The original plan was for ASTAR to purchase ABX immediately after the merger. Brown and Purple threwn in a monkey wrench with their foreign owner lawsuit.

no no no, UPS and FedEx put the foreign owner suits up when DPWN bought DHL back in 2001 time frame. It was done when DHL sold off the airline and it became Astar. At that time DHL was buying Airborne that was spinning off ABX as a stand alone company. It was at that time, according to Hete meeting talks, that Dasburg said we want to buy you. And Hete's response was "thats funny, we want to buy you." It has been a pissing match ever since. But there was no FedUP wrench to stop it, just pride and greed.

Last edited:
Regardless of who owns whom, DHL has for all intents and purposes failed to gain control of the lift into and out of KILN, which means that it now ultimately fails to control its own operation in the US.

It would have make sense, from the DHL perspective, to have made their stake in Astar and have Astar buy ABX on the day they purchased Airborne Express. A bit late for that now though.

Interesting times, because all the logical moves have failed to occur and what happens next is going to be the second best course of action. As I've said before, the bottom line is efficient lift, and he who has it will probably end up calling the tune.

shooter

"whoa, I did not know they would not allow you to strike. sorry to hear that."

Unfortunately, courtesy of the RLA, we are all precluded from striking. Never mind Astar, you think the ABX pilot group would be putting up with the latest crap if we could simply down tools and walk?

the last strike RLA was allowed when? Comair? And if memory serves they were working on an agreement about as long Astar has. If you guys are trying to work out the latest crap you are speaking of that many years down the road, my guess would be you would be asking to put the tools down and walk. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

Pilots Band Together to Weather Proposed Company Acquisition

Union Leaders Vow to Protect Collective Bargaining Rights of All Workers.

TOLEDO – The following statement is from Capt. CJ Johnson, union leader of the Capital Cargo Int’l (CCI) unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int’l (ALPA), regarding the proposed acquisition of Cargo Holdings International, Inc. (CHI) by ABX Air, Inc. (ABX)

"The CCI Master Executive Council (MEC) is carefully evaluating the proposed acquisition to determine the impact, if any, that it would have on the collective bargaining rights of the Capital Cargo pilots. We intend to protect the interests of these pilots to the maximum extent.

"Our duty is to ensure that no transaction has a negative affect on our members, and to work to improve the professional futures of pilots and other workers. To that end, we are in communication with the unions that represent the ABX and Air Transport Int’l LLC (ATI) pilots and intend to pursue with them any steps that will advance the common interests of all CHI and ABX pilots.”

On November 2, ABX announced that it has agreed to acquire CHI. Among CHI’s four operating subsidiaries are two separate airlines, ATI and Capital Cargo International Airlines, Inc., the latter of which employs approximately 115 pilots who are represented for purposes of collective bargaining by ALPA.

Founded in 1931, ALPA is the world’s largest pilot union, representing more than 60,000 pilots at 42 airlines in the U.S. and Canada.

Last edited:
the last strike RLA was allowed when? Comair? And if memory serves they were working on an agreement about as long Astar has. If you guys are trying to work out the latest crap you are speaking of that many years down the road, my guess would be you would be asking to put the tools down and walk. I could be wrong, but I doubt it.

I'm with ABX, not Astar , and I'm referencing the never ending contractual violations with regard to scheduling and especially the Osaka Domicile. To be able to stage wildcat strikes of unpredictable yet limited duration would rapidly put an end to the company's nonsense. Unfortunately the RLA stops that from happening.

It's not limited to 10%, but if outside revenues exceed that level, ABX has to start paying some of their own overhead expenses. Under 10% DHL picks up the tab.

What is the focus of the 10% business - is it the MIA flying, or does any of it pass through ILN, something entirely different???

I'm with ABX, not Astar , and I'm referencing the never ending contractual violations with regard to scheduling and especially the Osaka Domicile. To be able to stage wildcat strikes of unpredictable yet limited duration would rapidly put an end to the company's nonsense. Unfortunately the RLA stops that from happening.

Oh, I see what you are saying now.

Anything not related to DHL. MIA, KIX, 141 school, contract maintenance...

As long as DHL has that in the ACMI contract, the current one only has 2 years left. What flying will go to which company to keep the ABX side under 10%? I know the ANA flying must stay with ABX since all of the audits were done in ABX as required by ANA. Do you think the AMex, BWI, FlWest, AirJam and other flying will go to ATI/CC ?

I think this DHL contract is hurting ABX workers the more I think about it. What do you other ABX guys think? Should I continue my pursuit of "other options"?

Latest resources

Back