• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA's Pilots Screw its Furloughee's

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think a 16 year old once tried to convince his friend that he could drive 85 all day long as long as he didn't get pulled over. Laws only apply to those who get caught, right?

Were you that 16 yr old?

No, but I live in West Texas during the winter and Germany in the summers where you can go 85 all day long. :D

You show us the law that prevents union from deciding things democratically and I'll take you for older than 16. ;)

AA furloughee's have the option to defer for up to 3 years after being offered recall per contract. Some may have other job contracts or oversea's or family issues whatever , by exercising thier contractural rights under their contract they will be excluded from the payout so the current pilots will get thier fair share, It doesn't matter what they have been doing the last 9 years on furlough , some may have landed good jobs other maybe not, it doesn;'t matter they are entitled to an equal share , they have a seniority number the fact that the apa put an arbitrary time limit to come back to be eligible and neglected the contractural rights of the furloughee's is unexcusable. AA pilots screw the furloughee's plain and simple. If anyone is entitled to a bonus its the pilots that took the long hit in income, ie the furloughee. its shameful.
Well

Did their "contractual rights" include an agreement to share in these benefits while furloughed. Then I guess it is not their contractual "right" to receive the benefits while electing for whatever reason to stay away. I work with several furloughed AA. They are not going back because they make too much money with us and they have a great schedule. Are you suggesting that they have it harder than a JFK based FO on reserve who commutes to life in a crash pad?

Well

Did their "contractual rights" include an agreement to share in these benefits while furloughed. Then I guess it is not their contractual "right" to receive the benefits while electing for whatever reason to stay away. I work with several furloughed AA. They are not going back because they make too much money with us and they have a great schedule. Are you suggesting that they have it harder than a JFK based FO on reserve who commutes to life in a crash pad?

Well it isn't a contractual right for the active pilots either, so that is no argument.

In your scenario, I have to agree with you, because those pilots don't intend to ever return, but consider a pilot who wants to come back but is out for medical reasons just long enough to miss the arbitrary deadline. His or her income is impacted negatively already and now on top of that they miss out on this one time payout too? How about the guy who has to break his/her training contract in order to return now rather than in a year or two, he or she now faces a lose/lose proposition for no earthly reason.

If you have a recall right for 3 yrs after the most junior pilot has been offered, then you should have the right to your share of the money as long as you return withing that time period. Setting any other deadline is capricious.

Well it isn't a contractual right for the active pilots either, so that is no argument.

In your scenario, I have to agree with you, because those pilots don't intend to ever return, but consider a pilot who wants to come back but is out for medical reasons just long enough to miss the arbitrary deadline. His or her income is impacted negatively already and now on top of that they miss out on this one time payout too? How about the guy who has to break his/her training contract in order to return now rather than in a year or two, he or she now faces a lose/lose proposition for no earthly reason.

If you have a recall right for 3 yrs after the most junior pilot has been offered, then you should have the right to your share of the money as long as you return withing that time period. Setting any other deadline is capricious.

So OHGOON, by those arguments you'd be fine with the APA holding the money until the furloughee actually returns right or do you actually think that the furloughee now working for FEDEX should keep the merger money and not return to AA?

So OHGOON, by those arguments you'd be fine with the APA holding the money until the furloughee actually returns right or do you actually think that the furloughee now working for FEDEX should keep the merger money and not return to AA?

What harm would it do if the APA held the money in a trust until a deferred pilot returned within the 3 year window? If your FEDEX guy chooses to stay out beyond the 3 yrs, he/she forfeits any claim to it. Seems fair and covers everybody rather not just those "who happen to be active" upon a totally arbitrary calendar date.

What harm would it do if the APA held the money in a trust until a deferred pilot returned within the 3 year window? If your FEDEX guy chooses to stay out beyond the 3 yrs, he/she forfeits any claim to it. Seems fair and covers everybody rather not just those "who happen to be active" upon a totally arbitrary calendar date.

I agree but the majority rules in a democracy, and even if someone opposes what the majority is doing, based on what is right and wrong... Well the minority is simply wrong about how things get decided, but their consolation is that they're right! They can never get the money but they spend more money fighting it and even if they win, they still lost.

I agree but the majority rules in a democracy, and even if someone opposes what the majority is doing, based on what is right and wrong... Well the minority is simply wrong about how things get decided, but their consolation is that they're right! They can never get the money but they spend more money fighting it and even if they win, they still lost.

Some companies / unions never seem to learn. I have no dog in this fight either way, but for the want of a few more dollars amongst the active pilots, they will be willing to take from the 100 or so that will return at some point eventually, thus casing a fully imbittered/jaded pilot that the company will have as an employee and the pilots will fly with as a copilot for another 20 years. Doesn't seem like a good investment for either the company or the union.

A) Paragraphs, man, paragraphs!

B) "You would think that a union would stick by their own." No, no I wouldn't. I've been in this industry too long to be so naive.

Last edited:
While I agree that pilots should be able to continue to defer and collect some of the equity, those of us who are taking pretty damn significant risks by returning now, and not waiting until things are sorted out, should be rewarded for taking those risks.

Very good point, sir.

Latest resources

Back