AAL Pay in the 1970s

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
rudderdog said:
I think the standard back then was one cadillac per month.

Lets see....what would that be today? 300 to 400k

When United got their last contract INCREASE in 2000 or 2001 (I can't remember back that far :confused: ),

ALPA made a big deal about the fact that United had finally returned their pay back to pre deregulation (ie pre concessions) rates indexed for inflation.

In 1968 I made $5K/yr flying for the Navy, we marveled about how if we got hired by DAL we could be making $25K in about 5 years. The time it took to make Captain back then. A new car cost $1.7K, a new cost house cost 25K, and gas was 28 cents a galloon. I paid $78.00 in federal taxes. Now multiply everything by 10 and it pretty well fits today, except taxes, my percentage of taxes has gone up 100 fold while everything else has gone up 10 fold.

CODs4ever said:
An old retired pilot told me that a senior captain at AAL made around $140K/year in the early 1970s. If this is true, then airline pay has definitely not kept up with inflation since $140K/year today seems to be close to the average for senior captains at most airlines...

$140K in 1975 is over $500K in today's dollars

and your point is?

They also didn't have the "Delta Connection Academy" either.

I have a magazine article that was printed in Aug 1966 in the AOPA PILOT that read "WE'LL PAY YOU $1,000,000 TO FLY FOR UNITED!" It further indicated that "to give you and idea of how your salary progresses at United consider the fact that you start at $6600/yr as a second officer and at the beginning of your second yr you earn $10,200/yr 3rd yr was $14,400 4th yr $15,600 5 yr $16,800 etc etc. It took 10 to 12 years to make captain and a salaryu of $23,000 to $33,000 depending on the equipment you fly. The article even has a coupon to mail in for more info.

I wish I could scan it so everyone could see. Maybe someone can get it from AOPA PILOT and post it here. In any event that was pretty good salary 40yr ago!!

WD.

Latest resources

Back