AAL Pay in the 1970s

CODs4ever

Trash Hauler
Joined
Oct 18, 2002
Posts
80
Total Time
enough
An old retired pilot told me that a senior captain at AAL made around $140K/year in the early 1970s. If this is true, then airline pay has definitely not kept up with inflation since $140K/year today seems to be close to the average for senior captains at most airlines...

$140K in 1975 is over $500K in today's dollars

and your point is?
 

rudderdog

Well-known member
Joined
Dec 4, 2001
Posts
168
Total Time
7500
I think the standard back then was one cadillac per month.

Lets see....what would that be today? 300 to 400k
 

HAL

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
733
Total Time
10000+
Not true.

My father flew for United, and their rates were very close to AA's. He retired in 1973 near the top of the UA seniority list flying the 747. He was making a little under $60k per year. There's no way AA was paying $140k. I think he was either pulling your chain, or his memory has become very rosy tinted.

HAL
 

chris69

AKA Walleyvision
Joined
Oct 5, 2002
Posts
74
Total Time
3000+
My parents bought a house in San Diego for $28k and passed on one for $36k in La Jolla in 1970. So around $60k should be worth two median San Diego houses today, right?
 

HAL

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
733
Total Time
10000+
chris69 said:
My parents bought a house in San Diego for $28k and passed on one for $36k in La Jolla in 1970. So around $60k should be worth two median San Diego houses today, right?
Same story here. My parents bought a house in Corona del Mar CA in 1962 for $35k, and sold it in 1972 for $55k, and they thought it was a pretty good profit. It sold again four years later for $255k, and ten years later for $1.2M.

Everything goes up (except recent pilot salaries).

HAL
 

psysicx

Well-known member
Joined
Jun 14, 2003
Posts
2,252
Total Time
-----
Mom's parents bought a house in La Jolla for $15,000 worth over a million. My grandma sold here house in La Mesa to my uncle for $100,000 and she bought it for $10,000. The house is trashed but the lot is huge and worth over $500,000.
 

FoxHunter

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2002
Posts
679
Total Time
23000
CODs4ever said:
An old retired pilot told me that a senior captain at AAL made around $140K/year in the early 1970s. If this is true, then airline pay has definitely not kept up with inflation since $140K/year today seems to be close to the average for senior captains at most airlines...

$140K in 1975 is over $500K in today's dollars

and your point is?
I recall reading in 1974 that Delta had just signed a contract paying 747 Captains $100,000 per year. I also recall that EAL L1011 Captains made around $66,000 which was considered great pay at that time.
 

warbirdfinder

Well-known member
Joined
Feb 20, 2004
Posts
128
Total Time
28,000
Going back a little further, at the time of the PNA/WAL merger in 1967, Connie Captains got a raise to $25,000.00/year, which was the the WAL Electra rate.

New hires were paid $500.00/month with an extra $50.00 for being based in Anchorage
 

jhill

Senior Menber
Joined
May 13, 2003
Posts
247
Total Time
17,000
psysicx said:
Mom's parents bought a house in La Jolla for $15,000 worth over a million. My grandma sold here house in La Mesa to my uncle for $100,000 and she bought it for $10,000. The house is trashed but the lot is huge and worth over $500,000.
oh yeah, my grandmother can beat up yours in either of those cities for less than 10K
 

FoxHunter

Well-known member
Joined
Jan 4, 2002
Posts
679
Total Time
23000
warbirdfinder said:
Going back a little further, at the time of the PNA/WAL merger in 1967, Connie Captains got a raise to $25,000.00/year, which was the the WAL Electra rate.

New hires were paid $500.00/month with an extra $50.00 for being based in Anchorage
When I started with Seaboard World in 69' as a DC-8 F/O the pay was $600 per month flat pay. I did improve after I was recalled from my first furlough 5 years later it was all the way up to $750 for the first year. Took me almost 8 years to get off first year pay. Worked as a DC-8 F/O for Capitol International the summer of 1970. Since we were all DC-8 qualified they bumped the ALPA contract first year pay up from $450 a month to $650. They did manage to fly me 105 hours the first month, flat pay $650.:)
 

SuperFLUF

lazy Mc Donald's pilot
Joined
Jul 9, 2003
Posts
639
Total Time
12,000
rudderdog said:
I think the standard back then was one cadillac per month.

Lets see....what would that be today? 300 to 400k
When United got their last contract INCREASE in 2000 or 2001 (I can't remember back that far :confused: ),

ALPA made a big deal about the fact that United had finally returned their pay back to pre deregulation (ie pre concessions) rates indexed for inflation.
 

pilotyip

Well-known member
Joined
Nov 26, 2001
Posts
13,629
Total Time
14000
In 1968 I made $5K/yr flying for the Navy, we marveled about how if we got hired by DAL we could be making $25K in about 5 years. The time it took to make Captain back then. A new car cost $1.7K, a new cost house cost 25K, and gas was 28 cents a galloon. I paid $78.00 in federal taxes. Now multiply everything by 10 and it pretty well fits today, except taxes, my percentage of taxes has gone up 100 fold while everything else has gone up 10 fold.
 

Speed Turd

Active member
Joined
Aug 26, 2005
Posts
27
Total Time
3000
CODs4ever said:
An old retired pilot told me that a senior captain at AAL made around $140K/year in the early 1970s. If this is true, then airline pay has definitely not kept up with inflation since $140K/year today seems to be close to the average for senior captains at most airlines...

$140K in 1975 is over $500K in today's dollars

and your point is?
They also didn't have the "Delta Connection Academy" either.
 

GogglesPisano

Pawn, in game of life
Joined
Oct 20, 2003
Posts
3,939
Total Time
enough

Wiskey Driver

Return of the Hub Raider
Joined
Aug 31, 2002
Posts
1,308
Total Time
6500tt
I have a magazine article that was printed in Aug 1966 in the AOPA PILOT that read "WE'LL PAY YOU $1,000,000 TO FLY FOR UNITED!" It further indicated that "to give you and idea of how your salary progresses at United consider the fact that you start at $6600/yr as a second officer and at the beginning of your second yr you earn $10,200/yr 3rd yr was $14,400 4th yr $15,600 5 yr $16,800 etc etc. It took 10 to 12 years to make captain and a salaryu of $23,000 to $33,000 depending on the equipment you fly. The article even has a coupon to mail in for more info.


I wish I could scan it so everyone could see. Maybe someone can get it from AOPA PILOT and post it here. In any event that was pretty good salary 40yr ago!!

WD.
 
Top