• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AAA/AWA Integration...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Taking hits from the bong, as" the US Air pilots "pass it along". What do you not understand about "career expectations" It's not career fantasies or career wishes. Once again "career expectations".
I know exactly what my career expectations were with the upcoming retirements at USAir. Why should that be a windfall for the west side ?
Answer .... It won't be, as the arbitrator has no intention of stapling the furloughees to the bottom.

Well it looked like DOH as it was based on Length of service....Kinda a windfall for your bottom guys. Meanwhile your proposal, looked so fair too....

What the hell are you talking about, a windfall for the junior AWA guys?

Sir or Madame: Appreciate your usual accurate posts...but the nine A-330's that AAA already has are -300 version.

Regards..

US Airways currently has 9 A330-300 aircraft flying today. US Airways also has 10 A330-200 aircraft on firm order with the initial delivery due in 2008. I was saying going forward they should increase that A330-200 order. The A330-300 version may have a questionable range going from Phoenix to Europe. The A330-200 has a better range and performance than the -300. I know the company wants the A350. However, the A350 may not be available for years to come. Airbus is having so many problems with the A380, they've become years behind on the A350. Going forward US Airways will need wide body aircraft, and I believe you will probable see them choose the A330-200 in the short term to do that international expansion so desperately needed.

Last edited:
I know exactly what my career expectations were with the upcoming retirements at USAir. Why should that be a windfall for the west side ?
Answer .... It won't be, as the arbitrator has no intention of stapling the furloughees to the bottom.

I would guess that anyone hired in 99 will be below the most junior AWA pilot. The arbitrator has asked for a Seniorioty list as of 7/01/07. By that time all of the current awa pilots will have almost the same "time on property" as ALL of the 99 hires. As for the guys with alot of "time on property", who knows.

I do know this, a furloughed pilot really has no job expectations. BUT what they do expect is that when or if they are recalled they will be at the bottom of the seniority list. He / she will be the most junior FO on reserve. The east list was a little absurd in assuming that a furloughed pilot should be recalled to a mid level or higher line holding CAPTAIN position.

It sucks, it's a raw deal but furlough blows. I've had a couple of them. I also know that their will only be a small percentage of pilots that will be happy with the arbitrators decision.

If you were to read the transcripts you would see that the arbitrator didn't appear to like the testimony of the furloughed East guy that said in 20 years he expected to retire on the 330, or something to that effect.

As we have all seen with the change in the age 60 rule, retirements are not set in stone. But again we are not making the decision. I believe, as posted earlier, that most if not all of the 99 hires will be at the bottom due to similar "time on property" as the current most junior west guy.

It all depends what the arbitrator feels a furloughed pilot brings to the table with respect to ALPO merger policy.

Just my opinion, I'm probably wrong. Just ask my wife. :)

Last edited:
I bought my home based upon my credit and ability to pay back the loan, technically it's my house. Even though the bank loaned me the money.

How is that different from AWA buying/aquiring US Airways?

I don't have a dog in the fight, but who cares when someone is hired, it's seniority that counts and what your seniority brings to the table. If your seniority has you on furlough, then that's what your seniority brings to the table and the expectations associated with that seniority number. Generally speaking, anyone actively flying ought to be senior to anyone on furlough.

I agree. At your own airline, your seniority has nothing to do with when you were hired. It has everything to do with where you sit on the list. Halfway up the list is 10 years at some airlines, maybe 20 years at others. Either way, that pilot is only halfway up the list.

Now, some accomodation needs to be made for equipment. AWA has no widebodies. But, beyond that, sorry, where you sit on the list is where you sit on the list.

I

Just my opinion, I'm probably wrong. Just ask my wife. :)

Man why did you have to bring wives into this mess?? Dam, I gotta go she just heard me on this board again;)

WD.

Just remember - this sacred widebody captain seat goes all the way to 1100-something on the AAA list.................for what, like 150 captain seats ???

It is true that AWA did acquire AAA. If you must, dig through last years prospectus to see it regarded as a reverse acquistion. All that means is the acquirer retains the acquireds name. But nontheless it is an acquisition. Being a part of the financial community I can say I absolutely guarantee AAA would have been liquidated if not for AWA. The closing date of the merger was even moved up to facilitate AAA debt. Being that is the case it seems that any AAA pilot would be happy to even be on the bottom of any list. Guess pilots are rather unrealistic.

Cheers

Latest resources

Back