• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA vs SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Texaswa, the quote at the end of your message, is that Robert Earl Keen, or Townes van zandt? Not sure you have the lyric right...
Swa boarding is a pain in the rear. HOW is the herd method more efficient than handing out seat assignments?
adios
snowman
ain't no good in an evil hearted woman

semperfido said:
i just can't get past not having an assigned seat. i hate to sit in that middle seat. the cattle car approach leaves a lot to be desired. :)

As long as you get to the gate when you are suppose to you will not be in a middle seat...that being said if you are running late and all that is left is middles, at least you will be able to pick the 2 fat (or skinny) people you want to sit between.

TexaSWA said:
And we will destroy AA and DFW with a new "LASER" that is being constructed at Love Field under the guise of a training center expansion.

That is, of course, unless they agree to pay a hefty ransom.

Frickin sharks with frickin laserbeams on thier head in Lake Grapevine!

Or perhaps seabass? Are they ill-tempered?

I hear its called the alan parsons project.

No really, I'm mostly serious about that cabotage stuff. I think that is why SWA changed position on the WA!

Uncle Leo said:
As long as you get to the gate when you are suppose to you will not be in a middle seat...that being said if you are running late and all that is left is middles, at least you will be able to pick the 2 fat (or skinny) people you want to sit between.

...there you go trying to turn a negative into a positive:D any group other than A is cause for great concern. Sun chips or Doritos?

snowman said:
Texaswa, the quote at the end of your message, is that Robert Earl Keen, or Townes van zandt? Not sure you have the lyric right...
Swa boarding is a pain in the rear. HOW is the herd method more efficient than handing out seat assignments?
adios
snowman
ain't no good in an evil hearted woman

Its actually Terry Allen. I was alittle off, the lyric is, "that im as big a Texan"
Bob Keen plays it, Towns VanZandt may have something to do with writing it, i dont know.

You are right in saying that there "aint no good in an evil hearted woman"

also worth a mention:

1. I aint cutout to be no Jessie James
2. You dont go writin' hot checks down in Mississippi
3. There aint no good chain gang

Back to the original topic:

JPB said:
Some people are assuming the inevitable demise of AA...

I havent heard anyone assuming this

Oh yeah, Im as big a Texan as you are.... Great lyrics. thanks for the info.
adios
A trunk full of shiner bock and lone star....
snowman

snowman said:

I used to believe that until I watched it in action. SWA's method takes advantage of some simple psychological facts:

1. Everybody wants a good seat.
2. They want to get on first to get that seat.

These simple facts are why they're able to turn an airplane in a quarter-hour when the others are just thinking about starting boarding. You consider it a "herd method," but it's really no different from what I see on other major carriers -- they just "assign" the seats at a different time in the process.

The difference is that, with seat pre-assignments, when they announce "Now boarding rows 15 and higher, everybody crowds around the doorway, slowing down the boarding immensely. "Please stay seated until we call your row." Yeah, right.

The alternative, since everybody's going to be standing up around the doorway anyway, is to board them as they come, group by group. And so that's what SWA does. They're almost all lined up and waiting for the airplane, which means everybody gets on and off that much faster.

I ask you, which is worse: Being assigned a middle seat ahead of time, or getting one when you board? I'd say neither is any better. Nobody likes a middle seat except a kid traveling between his parents. That's why I like their method of rewarding those who check in early by getting in the first boarding group. And unlike days past where making a connection means you'll get one of the last boarding cards when you get to the connecting city, when you're making a connection, you get a boarding pass for that leg, too, so you'll almost always be in that "A" group there.

I never liked the IDEA of the SWA-style boarding. But having experienced it both ways, I really like it. The only part I can't figure out is why people in group "A" line up way ahead of the flight. They're going to get a good seat, no matter where they are in that line! Item #2 above, I guess.

There is no bottom, no out of bounds or the like for SWA in its pursuit of market share. In fact, they don't want market share, they just want to kill legacy airlines, They certainly don't want to fly to all the places USAir went (or provide that level of service), they just want them dead

Flopgut,

On what basis of fact do you know that this is the SWA business plan. You are correct in the market share statement. Let go of your hatred of SWA. Market share means nothing if your costs still exceed expenses. Profitability is what matters. AA has made a good deal of progress towards lowering its costs. I am sure that if oil was back down to $35-40/barrel AA and several others would be seeing significant profits.

Latest resources

Back