• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA to suspend hiring

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Keep in mind there has been a lot of movement on the Airways side lately with a lot of people upgrading and moving to different aircraft types. Add that to the new hire training and a backlog is quickly created. I have seen pilots awarded a new aircraft type and then finally get a class date over a month after the permanent bids (base bid) effective month, and those are awarded around 2 months prior, so that's waiting over 3 months... And of course with the 787 coming very soon (and the 350 not too far off) this will further increase the training on other aircraft types. As pilots that leave their current aircraft to fly the 787, they must be replaced on the aircraft they leave...

The Europeans are gonna make the 330/350 a common type, that'll help'em out if FAA follows suit.

Guess no one told the 16 guys interviewing today that AA is suspending hiring.....think they're just slowing down to let the training dept catch up....the 737 and S80 are both seeing more than a month after Indoc until systems/Sim.

General- DAL has a pool. AA does not. Following your interview, they hire you with a class date. AA is full throttle for hiring, and they aren't letting up. This is the lightest year for retirements, and things are already frantic. Movement is quick, and is only picking up. Quite honestly, I think AA is the place to be- great things are happening and it's only going to get better.

Wait till they start merging all those seniority lists and see how things get interesting.
Depends upon what you see great as.:uzi::smash:

General- DAL has a pool. AA does not. Following your interview, they hire you with a class date. AA is full throttle for hiring, and they aren't letting up. This is the lightest year for retirements, and things are already frantic. Movement is quick, and is only picking up. Quite honestly, I think AA is the place to be- great things are happening and it's only going to get better.

All 3 legacies are going to have huge upward movement due to the retirement numbers at each of them. Any of the big 3 would be a great opportunity for any newhire. But, as B6driver stated, each of the 3 are different culturally, and it looks like the US implosion may cause friction at some of those bases for years and years. Nobody yet knows how each side will react when the NEXT arbitration award comes out. It could be the next World War. The UAL/CAL guys really didn't like their award, but seem to have started to move on. I don't know how long that may take with AA and US, since the ex USAPA guys may keep it in the courts for decades.

Choose wisely. There is a difference, and overall unity really matters. I'm not saying there aren't disagreements, but not internal wars. That would get old really quick.

Bye Bye---General Lee

General- moving forward I don't see much of an issue. Although there appears to be a wide and raging jihad amongst the different pilot groups from the outside, from the inside, it's a different picture. I'm living the job, and I can tell you that people appear ready to move on and rebuild their careers. The massive amount of attrition is facilitating that. In addition, the money and other contractual gains that are coming will push this along.

You are absolutely correct- unity matters. The management knows this, the Allied Pilots Association knows this, and the front line employees are starting to see this. The proof is in the current happenings at American- look at the new flight attendant T/A and at the timely progress of pilot negotiations. Frankly, as long as the APA and the company are the ones that are steering the ship, it isn't going to matter what the USAPA or NIC hardliners want. They will simply get steamrolled.

Look at what transpired a few months ago when we went "neutral metal". Yes, there were a few clowns that pulled rubbish like shoe polish on the tiller, unlatching flight deck windows, and throwing manuals around the cockpits. Immediately, flight ops management put an end to it and came down hard on both sides to knock it off. The new management mindset is that this type of destructive behavior isn't going to be tolerated to the detriment of the many. Parker benefited from a split labor group at USAirways as the two pilot factions lowered costs. Frankly, I think that allowed USAirways to exist. However, a fractured pilot group now costs American money- something that the investors and management won't put up with at the worlds largest airline.

There will always be a few amateurish personas that try and disprove this and make an issue of the past. BringUpTheBird is an example of this. However, as a transfusion of new employees funnel in, the company continues to boost morale, and management steers this company in unison with the unions, those types of hopelessly unsalvagably attitudes will become the extreme minority. Money and movement will make the issues disappear- and management knows this.

I whole heartedly agree that one should choose wisely, which is why I also think that American should be at the top of anyone's list for employment. Solidly aggressive movement, soon to be industry leading pay, and some of the best bases in the industry are a few examples. Regarding Unity- it's going to happen sooner rather than later. We finally have real leadership at the New American- from the management and from the unions.

Last edited:
General- moving forward I don't see much of an issue. Although there appears to be a wide and raging jihad amongst the different pilot groups from the outside, from the inside, it's a different picture. I'm living the job, and I can tell you that people appear ready to move on and rebuild their careers. The massive amount of attrition is facilitating that. In addition, the money and other contractual gains that are coming will push this along.

You are absolutely correct- unity matters. The management knows this, the Allied Pilots Association knows this, and the front line employees are starting to see this. The proof is in the current happenings at American- look at the new flight attendant T/A and at the timely progress of pilot negotiations. Frankly, as long as the APA and the company are the ones that are steering the ship, it isn't going to matter what the USAPA or NIC hardliners want. They will simply get steamrolled.

Look at what transpired a few months ago when we went "neutral metal". Yes, there were a few clowns that pulled rubbish like shoe polish on the tiller, unlatching flight deck windows, and throwing manuals around the cockpits. Immediately, flight ops management put an end to it and came down hard on both sides to knock it off. The new management mindset is that this type of destructive behavior isn't going to be tolerated to the detriment of the many. Parker benefited from a split labor group at USAirways as the two pilot factions lowered costs. Frankly, I think that allowed USAirways to exist. However, a fractured pilot group now costs American money- something that the investors and management won't put up with at the worlds largest airline.

There will always be a few amateurish personas that try and disprove this and make an issue of the past. BringUpTheBird is an example of this. However, as a transfusion of new employees funnel in, the company continues to boost morale, and management steers this company in unison with the unions, those types of hopelessly unsalvagably attitudes will become the extreme minority. Money and movement will make the issues disappear- and management knows this.

I whole heartedly agree that one should choose wisely, which is why I also think that American should be at the top of anyone's list for employment. Solidly aggressive movement, soon to be industry leading pay, and some of the best bases in the industry are a few examples. Regarding Unity- it's going to happen sooner rather than later. We finally have real leadership at the New American- from the management and from the unions.

Spot on my good man.

People were seriously putting show polish on tillers!? Jeeze...

I hope so, but I have a few friends on the West side, and they aren't and haven't been happy for awhile. They were put in a box in PHX and then had to pay dues that were eventually used AGAINST them. Yeah, I don't think they will forget that. They are looking forward to a new life under the APA, which can only be an improvement for them compared to USAPA. Good luck to you guys.

Bye Bye---General Lee

Latest resources

Back