• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA Super 80 vs LUV...Double standard?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The type requirement at SWA does not save the company anything with regards to one's initial training.

actually i think it does. since we come to class with a type the training schedule is more of an accelerated refresher if you will. i don't remember for sure but i think training was about 6 weeks. i thought i heard that training at AA (and i'm only using them because that's where the last person hired at a major went, that i knew personally, can recall) was something like 3 months. same thing with capt upgrade.

and maybe a swa capt can chime in, how long is capt upgrade? i would think it would be quicker than if someone came in without a type already. just guessing on that one.

Personally, I wouldn't walk across the concourse to fly a B737 after flying the MD80.

The 80 is so sleek and streamlined, while the 737 taxi's out wobbling from side to side with that stupid trim wheel rubbing your knees. Manual reversion isn't complicated on the MD80. The 737 is barely maneuverable and almost non air-worthy when there's a hydraulic problem.

The MD80 is symbolically phallic, and is a work of art on takeoff when silouetted against an evening sky.

The 737...well...there's just too much FLUF.

The B727 however,....

Are you serious? The MD-80?

Whatever floats your boat.

737 type rating doesn't equal getting hired at SW. Personally, I think it's just a way for SW to generate more revenue (per their partnership with Hire Power). Most folks go there for their type ratings.

Are you serious? The MD-80?

Whatever floats your boat.

Heh, heh. Yeah, I guess opinions really ARE like a$$holes. I have just under 1000 PIC in the MD-80 and if somebody held a gun to my head and insisted that I say something positive about it, I'd have to admit it was QUIET up front. Unfortunately, that came a result of almost zero air conditioning in the aquarium.

There is no requirement to buy a 737 type rating to apply or to be hired at SWA.

The only requirement is that one have a 737 type rating.

I am one of many who did not buy a 737 type rating, and still got hired.

I understand this. And that would be the best way to get into SWA. Have someone else pay for the type!

I mean heck >> I think you guys only hire about 1 out of 5 you interview. Thats a lot of waisted money for 80% of the people who don't make the cut.

737 type rating doesn't equal getting hired at SW. Personally, I think it's just a way for SW to generate more revenue (per their partnership with Hire Power). Most folks go there for their type ratings.

Thumbs Up ! Could be some truth to this!

I never will work for SWA or any other airline. I always stand up for the under dog. Right now SWA is the under dog because they are bashing them over this little problem. Does any body really think they should be grounded? Just think if the FAA grounded all aircraft that had a minor problem. So, my story is I will defend you if they start bashing you.

Yeah right. Go back and look at some of your rediculous posts on the SWA-F9 fiasco. You are a douch. Or maybe you felt that SWA was the underdog in the whole deal?

So,
1) we all agree that there IS a double standard.
2) You can only love SWA if you work there or if you want to work there and have not been dinged?

737 type rating doesn't equal getting hired at SW. Personally, I think it's just a way for SW to generate more revenue (per their partnership with Hire Power).

I can assure you that there is no revenue gained from any perceived "partnership" with Higher Power. Higher Power has asked SWA to show up at some of their functions. SWA has accepted the invitation. That is the extent of the "partnership".

BTW...SWA people also go and speak at other type rating schools.

Latest resources

Back