• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA seeks to cancel labor contracts

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Most companies like highly trained professionals. If you are going to court do you want a very senior and highly experienced lawyer or somebody just out of law school?

Either your skills have value or they don't it has nothing to do with what the company would like to do (which is simply to earn money for the share holders). This is why compensation for corporate flying and good corporations pays very well. Those organizations value the skills of the pilots flying and compensate accordingly.

How is an airline supposed to hire and retain only the best pilots? Pilots at airlines are allowed to keep their job as long as they due the bare minimum. Would you advocate better pilots making more than average pilots and how would you implement such a system?

Jack Welch (prior CEO of GE) would fire the bottom 10% of managers every year. I know most pilots would not be happy if the airline fired the bottom 10% of pilots every year based on metrics such as fuel burn, on-time departures, sick calls, productivity etc.

The employement system of airlines has resulted in pilots being looked at as a commodity by management. One pilot is as good as any other pilot as long as they can fill the seat. Not saying this is good or bad....just what it is.

A company is comprised of people, some are leaders, others followers, when the leaders are incompetent and destroy the company, are the followers to shut up and watch their CONTRACTUAL rights disappear???

You fools need to learn that we live in a market based economy, do you pay your lawn guy more that what he is worth, when he says he will cut your lawn for $50 do you say oh no thats not enough let me pay you $150 and bring five of you vato friends and I will pay them the same, do you pay full price for your new car or do you try and get the price down, do pay full price for the home you want or do you try and get the price down ??? why should the company pay you more that you are worth, why should they not try and get you to work for less, you have priced yourselves out of work and now the market rate for pilots is what it is .......now get back to work and stop complaining......you pilots are famous for one thing.........complaining...we are all so tired of hearing about how unfair life is because the company wont pay you top dollar to sit home and run your yogurt shop.........

You fools need to learn that we live in a market based economy, do you pay your lawn guy more that what he is worth, when he says he will cut your lawn for $50 do you say oh no thats not enough let me pay you $150 and bring five of you vato friends and I will pay them the same, do you pay full price for your new car or do you try and get the price down, do pay full price for the home you want or do you try and get the price down ??? why should the company pay you more that you are worth, why should they not try and get you to work for less, you have priced yourselves out of work and now the market rate for pilots is what it is .......now get back to work and stop complaining......you pilots are famous for one thing.........complaining...we are all so tired of hearing about how unfair life is because the company wont pay you top dollar to sit home and run your yogurt shop.........

I'm fine in a market-based economy if I can withhold my services at will, that is not the case so it isn't even close to market based.

Things wouldn't look that much different without a seniority system except that there would be a lot of favoritism involved with promotions. Companies would love it because they could lay off the highest paid, most senior employees first and keep the more junior lower paid employees on. Seniority is not a perfect system but it would be tough to find a better system in a profession where, by design, we are all supposed to be doing exactly the same job in exactly the same way.

No, they couldn't, because without a seniority system the senior employees wouldn't make any more money than the junior employees, you would all get paid the same to do the same job. The reason airlines get away with paying poverty wages is because of the *promise* of higher wages in the future. If that promise was taken away, you would have to pay a lot more right now or nobody would work for you. And if you pay less than industry standard everyone would quit and go work somewhere else.

No ones stopping you from witholding your services.

Really? You mean I can just stop working? That'll really show them, boy won't they be sorry! I can't wait to see them beg for me to come back!

I'm fine in a market-based economy if I can withhold my services at will, that is not the case so it isn't even close to market based.

Sure you can give your notice quite walk out and go to law school I keep hearing they have it better than pilots, ?? or got to med school I keep hearing they have it so much better than pilots ??? I even hear that the pool guy has is better than pilots.........so become the pool guy.......please quit complaining give your notice and move on please we are all tired of hearing pilots that work maybe 14 days a month telling us all how bad they have it

Sure you can give your notice quite walk out and go to law school I keep hearing they have it better than pilots, ?? or got to med school I keep hearing they have it so much better than pilots ??? I even hear that the pool guy has is better than pilots.........so become the pool guy.......please quit complaining give your notice and move on please we are all tired of hearing pilots that work maybe 14 days a month telling us all how bad they have it

14 days a month!? What airline only works 14 days? I'll quit we're I am and work a week less.

So your contention is the RLA is all part of a market based economy? You also understand that it's possible to work the FAA maximum allowable amount of hours while still working less than half a month right? Thought so.

Latest resources

Back