AA-Rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
pilotyip said:
A major is defined by having 1 $B in revenue, I would bet by 2007 ASA and ComAir will be majors. Hiring by majors and potential majors in 2003 was not 0, SWA, JB, AirTran, now all majors, were hiring, a good guess is at least 500-1000 were hired by a major in 2003. So hiring of 4000-6000 by the majors in 2007 is not an unrealistic assumption. Right now CAL, UPS, FedEx, AWA, AirTran, and JB are all hiring, probably in the 2500 to 3000 ranges this year. This is my fourth time through the cycle. In 1973 the airlines crashed just about the time was going to leave the Navy, everyone said the glory days are over. In 1983 my reserve unit was full of airline wannabes, who felt it would never come back and they had missed the boat. Some of them made Captain at AA in five years. In 1993 the famous "Will fly for food" posters" were seen at LAX, and everyone lamented It was great while it lasted". Now we are in the 2003 "It will never be the same again", my guess the cycle will repeat, but in each cycle avaition hiring redefines itself but the numbers go up.

YIP once again you prove what a freaking moron you are. ASA and Comair may be majors by DOT definition, but by the defenition that really counts, pay, bennies, retirement and QOL, they are still commuter/regional airlines.

IHaveAPension said:
YIP once again you prove what a freaking moron you are. ASA and Comair may be majors by DOT definition, but by the defenition that really counts, pay, bennies, retirement and QOL, they are still commuter/regional airlines.

I dont know how many times I have made that same argument to my friends still at the regionals. So your company brought in the required revenue that the DOT considers them a Major. Big deal.

That DOT listing of your company as a "Major" and $4.50 will get you a Venti Latte at Starbucks.

If it makes you feel better to be considered a Major then fine. But it aint going to mean squat until you bring your Pay, Retirment, QOL, etc in line with the real Majors.

These guys just want to brag to people outside the industry that they work for a "major" airline. They probably think it will help them score with the women.

Dangerkitty said:
I dont know how many times I have made that same argument to my friends still at the regionals. So your company brought in the required revenue that the DOT considers them a Major. Big deal.

That DOT listing of your company as a "Major" and $4.50 will get you a Venti Latte at Starbucks.

If it makes you feel better to be considered a Major then fine. But it aint going to mean squat until you bring your Pay, Retirment, QOL, etc in line with the real Majors.

You mean the majors that all have long furlough lists. Grow up, this mine is bigger than yours thinking should have stopped when you turned 21. (Or have you yet?)

SW is a major. JB is also a major but some will never agree. I worked at two majors in my time and my QOL at JB is far above the other two. Pay and bennies are also similar. When JB is 20 years old with 400+ acft, things should look very different in this business. Time will tell for sure.

jimpilot said:
You mean the majors that all have long furlough lists. Grow up, this mine is bigger than yours thinking should have stopped when you turned 21. (Or have you yet?)

Uhhhhhhh, what? I have no clue what you are talking about. But since your own profile states that you never flew for a regional much less a major I guess you have no clue as to what I am talking about.

For your information I flew for a regional (soon to be considered a Major by the DOT) for over three years.

As has been reiterated by other pilots after my post I am only stating the obvious. You on the other hand make no sense whatsoever.

Care to expound on what the heck you are talking about?

BTW, long furlough lists have nothing to do with if you are a major versus a regional. I would much rather be furloughed from a Major carrier where I was making $100 an hour as a FO versus flying for a Regional only making $70 an hour as a Captain.

But since you have so much experience flying for the airlines I would love to hear your take on it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back