AA-Rumors

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Dangerkitty said:
Uhhhhhhh, what? I have no clue what you are talking about. Care to expound on what the heck you are talking about?

That's pretty obvious

What I was talking about was the maturity you were showing in your post. It seems to me that you're spending a lot of energy telling folks why you're a major pilot (excuse me laid off major pilot, now Lear pilot) and therfore somehow better than the regional guys.

You're right, I am not a airline pilot. I enjoy what I do and wouldn't trade it for the world. (you have flown international I'm sure, so you know the challenges and satisfaction that come from a well executed around the world trip).

But I have always believed that there is room for every type of pilot in this industry. I think the guy who puts us all to shame is the guy who is paying on weekends to go fly, just for the love of it. You never hear him stand around (or writting on boards) putting another part of the industry down. He isn't there to talk about how much he makes an hour or how great his package is.

Kind of makes me wonder what's lacking that you feel the need to talk down to regional pilots.

jimpilot said:
That's pretty obvious

What I was talking about was the maturity you were showing in your post. It seems to me that you're spending a lot of energy telling folks why you're a major pilot (excuse me laid off major pilot, now Lear pilot) and therfore somehow better than the regional guys.

You're right, I am not a airline pilot. I enjoy what I do and wouldn't trade it for the world. (you have flown international I'm sure, so you know the challenges and satisfaction that come from a well executed around the world trip).

But I have always believed that there is room for every type of pilot in this industry. I think the guy who puts us all to shame is the guy who is paying on weekends to go fly, just for the love of it. You never hear him stand around (or writting on boards) putting another part of the industry down. He isn't there to talk about how much he makes an hour or how great his package is.

Kind of makes me wonder what's lacking that you feel the need to talk down to regional pilots.

Jimpilot,

For the record I was a Regional Airline pilot for over three years. And without a doubt they were the best three years of my life. No one, and I mean no one understands of cares more that goes on with the Regional Pilots than I do. It is because of my Regional Airline that I am at this point in my career today. I basically owe everything I have and training received to my former Regional Airline.

I think you are reading my post the wrong way. I am not degrading regional pilots nor am I stating they are second class citizens. I am merely stating the obvious.

Just becuase you make over a billion in revenue and are considered a "Major" by the DOT doesn't mean squat until your quality of life, pay, benefits, and retirement reflect what other Majors (AA, DAL, UAL, SWA, FedEX, etc) are receiving.

If it makes someone feel better or have more self esteem by telling people that they fly for a "Major" Airline then great. But that is all it is going to do for you. It's not going to give you a raise and it's not going to give you a great retirement package.

Thats all I am stating.

Furthermore, what energy am I spending telling people that I am a major airline pilot? I am furloughed from a Major and the way things are going now I am not going back. I like my Corporate job and enjoy the weekends and holdidays off for the first time in eight years. If you think I am bragging or spending energy telling people I fly for a major you are reading way way way too far into my posts. The only reason you know that I am furloughed from American Airlines is that you looked at my profile.

I am only stating the obvious that me as well as many other pilots believe. Sorry you took such offense to that but I dont think you were understanding where I was getting at.

Being listed as a Major airline is just a label that in the real world doesn't mean a thing. It might sound a little harsh but it is the truth.

Yeah - I'll take a guess: Oct 2006 at ~30/mo

For giggles and grins I looked up some old posts of mine - admittedly, I'm bored and waiting for the Pats/Colts game tonight.

Anyway, I started laughing when I came across this little gem... The question was "When are recalls going to start at AA?"... Looks like I got the month (announced recalls in Oct 2006) and was off by the numbers (I supposed a trickle recall would be 30/mo but it started at 10/mo and has subsequently increased).

Word on the street is that 30 recalls are planned for April and upping it to 40/mo thereafter to recall approx 400 pilots or so for 2007. No, I'm not getting this from anything but open sources...

The Flowbacks notified so far have all accepted recall (or have deferred to remain on MLOA at AE to maximize their time available for IAW USERRA when they do come back to AA). The "just plain furloughed" folks are accepting at about 1:3 ratio.

I anticipate that the further down the list we go, more deferrals or outright "no thanks / pound sand" will be given as folks are currently settled in with their position at <insert job here>.

So, since guessing when recalls were going to begin was so much fun... when do people think hiring will begin again? Assumption: All else remaining equal (age 60 remains in place, etc)...

Without looking at forecast retirements - but I believe 2000+ are scheduled between now and 2012...

My guess? 2010 / 2011 at the latest.

Makr this for posterity. AA will hire off the street in the next 24 months.

Don't worry the hiring boom is coming, just don't know when. But sooner than later

LOL. Guys dont want to be the negative person in the room, but sooner or later things will get better, thats like saying in the end everyone's life expanacy goes to zero! Hope everyone can hang in there, you guys are being missed.

I'm re-adjusting my original estmate to mid-2012.

Looks like I was a little off...

When I typed this post, didn't see a Nov 2011 Chapt 11 filing and the ensuing "fun"...

Recalls are occurring now... 1st class in 2013 is Jan 9th. Don't know about smoke and mirrors with the whole USAir merger rumor(s)... But - Based on projected assumptions of recall acceptance rates, AA "could" be hiring sometime during CY2013.

Not one to routinely spread rumors, but rumblings have been heard that AA is starting to spin up the hiring machine within the HR department. Can't confirm personally. And with the whole equity distribution issue on the table, and merger rumors - one can only guess if this can indeed happen any time soon.

YMMV.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back