• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA retracted nose gear landing at O'Hare

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was on the bus to the parking lot at ORD today and overheard two gate agents discussing this. They were convinced that the only reason everybody didn't die was because it was an act of God. No mention of the pilots.

FN FAL said:
Any landing you can waltz away from...

FN . . . you know if you have over 7,000 posts and you joined in the end of 2003, that means that you have averaged over 8 posts every single day without stopping - Christmas, Halloween . . . every day . . . . holy crap dude get a life! At some point you just like hearing yourself talk.

Clipper49 said:
Sure hope the hydraulic pumps were High and On.
Don't the nose and mains use the same hyd system? Or the same emerg handle?

Looking at the other acrivity(taxiing airplanes/bus driving aroundand lack of fire trucks) it almost looked like a nonevent.

Good Job

Agree with Hawk

It's almost as if they expected him to taxi to the gate!

Write up: aircraft required full power to taxi after landing.

Nice job by A/A guys up front

Cheers

The landing gear on the -80 is on the right hydraulic system. As for the HYD pumps, there are technically 4. The HIGH part refers to 1 of 3 positions on the engine driven pumps off each respective engine(OFF, LOW-1500psi, and HIGH-3000psi). The ON part refers to the AUX electric pump and the hydro-mechanical TRANSFER pump. Too much technical info I know, but there it is for those who are curious!!!!

Cheesemo said:
Nice job by A/A guys up front

Cheers

Did they really pull off a miracle?

Like the JetBlue landing, i'm having a difficult time seeing why the outcome shouldn't have been successful.

The pumps weren't High and ON?????????

The LuftenFuhrers strike again....how's my job doing?

I am sure they were hi and on. Most of us have forgotten at least once and quickly realized why the gear extension isn't quite normal and turn them on. Pilots have reported nose gear extension problems that were finally corrected by wiggling the tiller wheel because the nose gear splash panels were hanging it up and wiggling the tiller let it extend. Apparently no one was interested in suggesting using the technique as a procedure.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back