Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OUPilot01

http://www.star-telegram.com/business/story/1250570.html

In the 25+ years I have lived in the DFW area these are the type of slanted articles the papers always publish. No wonder it is always such an uphill battle to receive any public sentiment. It seems that management always wins the PR battle. I understand the economy is in the tank but whenever negotiation time comes it is always something 9-11, high gas prices, economy ect... and the media always has to qoute somewhere that pilots make over $130,000. : (

its very hard to win the pr war when asking for a 50% pay increse given the current situation everyone is facing. I don't know the solution but it is ugly. There is no good way to get a big increase in any contracts right now because no one is making $$$ and passengers have reduced travel so much

There is no good way to get a big increase in any contracts right now because no one is making $$$ and passengers have reduced travel so much

i guess there is also no good way to get executive bonuses right now because no one is making $$$ and passengers have reduced travel so much.... that what you're trying to say?

3 years of bonuses in a row = a bunch of $$$ they could have shared with the unions who took big pay cuts to keep their carefully manicured a$$es out of BK. So b.s, they can easily afford some pay raises for us. They just don't want to. If the PR folks and the media can't understand that, why do we waste our time with them. They will eventually understand when their flights have some kind of emergency and Sully types just ain't up there in the cockpit anymore because the job ain't worth it..... then it'll hit home real hard.

That is what kills me every week the paper runs articles but although they are always quick to point out pilot pay, they always fail to mention the bonuses the executives give themselves. IMHO we as pilots are badly losing the PR war. It is an area that I wish we would all pay more attention to. It seems that we badly underestimate public perception while management does a great job of spinning it in their favor.

its very hard to win the pr war when asking for a 50% pay increse given the current situation everyone is facing. I don't know the solution but it is ugly. There is no good way to get a big increase in any contracts right now because no one is making $$$ and passengers have reduced travel so much

The PR war doesn't matter. The readers of the Dallas paper don't matter. The war is with Arpey. It's like arguing a call with the home plate umpire -- if you convince the fans that it was wrong you still lost. If you convince the ump he was wrong, but all the fans disagree - YOU WIN.

PIPE

Mitch Schnurmen over the years has always, with one exception taken mgmts stance over labor. That was after Carty and the gangs little scam in 2003. What you have to remember is texas is a very anti-union, conservative state like most of the south. They have been convinced that $10-12 hr is great money, and "unions bad, if you don't like it quit". Wonderful brainwashing by the righties. Btw, the startlegram is considered the "liberal" paper in the area vs the dallas morning news.

Junior capt is 17 yrs? Jeez. Good luck to the AA guys

It has to do with 3 factors:

1. "Up or out" policy, which states that whenever someone Jr to you upgrades in your base, you have a certain amount of time to do so as well. This forces EVERY F/O to upgrade when it is time, which creates a long upgrade (as opposed to senior F/Os passing it up and CA upgrades go way junior, a la CAL.) As far as I know, we are the only airline to do this.

2. Stagnation due to a very senior pilot group (a la USAirways.) We haven't hired since 2001 and still have some 1800 on furlough.

3. The fact that we had a furlough between 1993 and 1998, so the CA upgrade will instantly reduce by 5 years when the first '98 hire upgrades. Wow, that'll bring it back down to 12 year upgrade, stop the presses!

Latest resources

Back