• Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Usually that holds true, but...

Juniority said:
Whatever happened to "What goes on in Vegas stays in Vegas...."

It can't stay on the runway in Vegas!

8 degrees?

WillowRunVortex said:
Hard, hard landing my fanny. It actually was a pretty smooth landing (with the landing gear). The tail did not strike. 8 degrees wing down will hit the gound, learn it, love it, live it!

I hadn't heard that, but 8 degrees pitch up was a maximun parameter at TWA and I believe a call out ("8 degrees") if it were exceeded. More than 8 degrees of pitch and a tail strike would be likely.

Still, that much wing down in a bad idea, I just hadn't heard the limit.

Can anybody add to this?

holy cow, watch until the trashy vegas news chick turns her head and you can see her profile...look at the size of that girls head!!!She has an extra skull or something! It like an orange and a toothpick!

Jeff Helgeson said:
I hadn't heard that, but 8 degrees pitch up was a maximun parameter at TWA and I believe a call out ("8 degrees") if it were exceeded. More than 8 degrees of pitch and a tail strike would be likely.

Still, that much wing down in a bad idea, I just hadn't heard the limit.

Can anybody add to this?

My manuals are out in the garage. But when I checked-out in the 80, there was a diagram that showed a front view, with the angle of main on the ground, and respective wing tip on the ground. We were told this was 8 degrees (strut fully compressed), and given that "hook". Short stubby mains and long wings aren't a great combo. Our bank limit was 3 degrees for landing. Incidentally the pitch limit for us was 9 degrees.

Last edited:
WOW !!!

A tail strike, a dragged wing AND a hard landing all in one !!!!!

What was this guy thinking ? He should have gone around !!!!

Maybe he was too distracted by the other pilot's screaming !!!!!!

320AV8R

Isn't every MD-80 landing a hard landing? I think I can count on one hand the number of greasers I've experienced, and I've been riding them weekly for years. Seems like the pilots who get the smooth landings use the "flare then push" method of derotation, but I've heard most -80 pilots consider that cheating.

This plane will be good to go after a new wingtip fairing, but there was an awful lot of smoke coming from the landing gear. I wonder if he blew a tire or two?

Actually, that was a great landing. A good landing is any landing you can walk away from. A great landing is any landing where you can use the aircraft again.

WillowRunVortex said:
Hard, hard landing my fanny. It actually was a pretty smooth landing (with the landing gear). The tail did not strike. 8 degrees wing down will hit the gound, learn it, love it, live it!

It was you, wasn't it?

SWPA Pilot said:
Thank you newsguy for explaining the crosswind landing procedures. Now it all makes sense.

Actually I think he did a pretty good job of explaining it to people who don't fly. He did a lot better with it than whoever it was after the AF crash in YYZ that said he assumed that the plane had less fuel when it landed than when it took off. I can't count the number of times I have heard a pax talking about a low wing landing on an ATR, not knowing why we do it that way.

Latest resources

Back