• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA jumpseat = Pain in the Butt!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
My favorite part: the number isn't open 24 hours a day. I learned that the hard way.

A couple weeks ago I was jumpseating on a 6am (eastern time) flight. As I was walking to the gate I called the number, and got a recording saying to call back later when they were open (I think 6 or 7am central time). What kind of AIRLINE reservations number isn't open when flights are departing???

I was fortunate enough to have a (somewhat) understanding gate agent who listed me at the gate.

Is it a res. number or a non rev number?

So you are complaining about a free ride? WTF is wrong with you? The rules of each carrier are sometimes inconvenient but in the end you are asking for a favor.

Whats wrong with you jumpseat police?.......maybe you can't tell that I'm making fun of the situation. I haven't jumped on AA for long time. In the past you could walk up to a gate and catch a ride by filing out a slip. No one is complaining just saying this is a pain in the butt in comparision to the way things used to be at AA and most other carriers. I can't remember ever doing this type of proceedure with any other carrier..........and I've jump on most in the past.

Last edited:
Not directed at AA but I have a little heartburn with this. It takes about 15 seconds for the person at the gate to list you. Most agents are pretty understanding about long hold times, last minute itinerary changes (didn't make the other flight). I always try to list but when the hold time (or expected hold time) exceeds 7 minutes, I figured I've made sufficient effort.

One time This agent told me I should have waited the 30 minutes (expected hold time) to list. I said my cel. phone battery wouldn't last that long. He gave me this really crappy seat (the airplane was empty) and then told the crew this jumpseater was giving him attitude. Turns out I knew the entire crew (I ride on these guys way too often - they're fabulous) so they knew it was BS.

Had an on line nonrev mention to me the other day that a JS was inside trying to get a ride. When I got the paperwork there was no jumpseater. When the ramper call inside, they said there was no one listed. We took a delay but the JS got on.

Is it a request that we list or, is it a requirement and cause for DENIAL by someone other than the captain. Can our JSCs do anything about this?

Guys, I am currently flying for TAM airlines and is there a way to jumpseat from GRU-MIA and back on AA?? My wife and I want to move back to MIA and riding on TAM is expensive even for employees. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance,
VF

You might want to look into ID90, ID75's and ZED Fares......I don't think a Foreign Pilot can ride the Jumpseat Intl or Domestic. ....now if your wife (who is Brazilian) came along....THROW OUT ALL THE RULES! :}

..I'm just saying!

Guys, I am currently flying for TAM airlines and is there a way to jumpseat from GRU-MIA and back on AA?? My wife and I want to move back to MIA and riding on TAM is expensive even for employees. Any suggestions??

Thanks in advance,
VF

AA has a rather limited list of US carriers that are approved to be "jumpseat" riders. Since it's international, even these riders must have an empty seat in back, no cockpit jumpseaters other than AA guys.

Sorry
(former GRU flier)

Sometimes it can be a long hold, but i have never had a problem listing with them. That number works great, and as soon as you hear a voice press 3 and it takes you to the non-rev listing agents(not sure if they are open 24hrs). American has always been really good to me, i reide them more to work than my own carrier...better schedules for my same day commutes. I also have only run into a couple gate agents who will give you crap for not listing, most of the time you just look at them and smile and they will do it for you without a problem.

AA has a rather limited list of US carriers that are approved to be "jumpseat" riders. Since it's international, even these riders must have an empty seat in back, no cockpit jumpseaters other than AA guys.

Sorry
(former GRU flier)

I'd be happy with a seat in the back. Unfortunately we don't get ID90s or ID75s. So I guess there is no way around it.

I'd be happy with a seat in the back. Unfortunately we don't get ID90s or ID75s. So I guess there is no way around it.

Unfortunately, there is none, even for my sometimes shifty, rather fluid interpretation of company guidelines. (I guess they're really rules ;))

The "old school", "c'mon' boy, grab yerself a seat' in back" will get immediate attention from the company executioners as well as a few Federal agencies as well.

Latest resources

Back