AA Interview Process

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Big Slick

We are pleased to announce that we will begin recruiting new pilots and will begin accepting pilot applications on Oct. 1, 2013 the first time in more than 10 years.

Weve been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to prepare for our newest team members, and weve shared some information along the way about the process. But now that we have finalized the details, we want to disclose the hiring process with you, so that you can be aware of the procedure and share this information with future recruits.

Phase I Selecting the best

As you can imagine, since our last hiring phase, weve added some significant technology to our selection process in an effort to manage the anticipated volume of applicants, as well as help us identify those whose background and experience most closely align with our needs.

We will use state-of-the art software designed to evaluate applicants by virtue of the flight-related data they provide in their online application.

Additionally, candidates will complete an online assessment designed specifically for pilot selection. The criteria for this selection were designed using information gathered from dozens of current American Airlines pilots. Through their feedback, we developed a questionnaire that focuses on a candidates ability to assimilate well with both the Flight Department and the new American Airlines culture.

Phase II Determining the best fit

Selected candidates are asked to complete a video interview. Through this interview, we can better determine their interpersonal and communication skills, along with their ability to think on their feet. The strongest candidates are invited to meet with our team in person. During this time, candidates will undergo a two-day assessment that combines technology and personalized interaction with our Flight team, which will give them insight into their potential new company and allow us to realistically gauge their fit within our group.

Day 1, we will conduct a Pilot Skills Test (PST). The PST is a new, computerized evaluation program that measures the critical skills necessary to become an American pilot. Day 2 is dedicated to a two-part, face-to-face interview conducted by Captains and First Officers from all of our crew bases and members of the Pilot Selection Department. The questions are behavioral-based, and our goal is to get an accurate picture of a candidates demeanor and decision-making skills by learning about actual situations theyve encountered through their career.

Ultimately, this two-day assessment allows us the opportunity to learn more about our prospective new team member and for them to learn more about the Flight Department and American Airlines.

Phase III Waiting for the call

Once we have a complete picture of the candidate, the final step is to have their file evaluated by the Pilot Selection Board a panel made up of several members of the Flight Department, including Vice President of Flight, Captain John Hale and Chief Pilot Line Operations, Captain Bart Roberts. The approved candidates are then contacted by the Flight Department and given a conditional offer with American Airlines. We then schedule a medical exam and once the results are known, we will make the final call confirming our conditional offer.
We anticipate the entire process from the point that someone is identified by the automated process until they show up for orientation and training to be approximately two months.

We think we have a good process in place and were excited to be seeking out those individuals who not only possess the ability to do the job for which they interview, but who also possess a passionate desire to do it.

We are pleased to announce that we will begin recruiting new pilots and will begin accepting pilot applications on Oct. 1, 2013 the first time in more than 10 years.

Weve been doing a lot of work behind the scenes to prepare for our newest team members, and weve shared some information along the way about the process. But now that we have finalized the details, we want to disclose the hiring process with you, so that you can be aware of the procedure and share this information with future recruits.

Phase I Selecting the best

As you can imagine, since our last hiring phase, weve added some significant technology to our selection process in an effort to manage the anticipated volume of applicants, as well as help us identify those whose background and experience most closely align with our needs.

We will use state-of-the art software designed to evaluate applicants by virtue of the flight-related data they provide in their online application.

Additionally, candidates will complete an online assessment designed specifically for pilot selection. The criteria for this selection were designed using information gathered from dozens of current American Airlines pilots. Through their feedback, we developed a questionnaire that focuses on a candidates ability to assimilate well with both the Flight Department and the new American Airlines culture.

Phase II Determining the best fit

Selected candidates are asked to complete a video interview. Through this interview, we can better determine their interpersonal and communication skills, along with their ability to think on their feet. The strongest candidates are invited to meet with our team in person. During this time, candidates will undergo a two-day assessment that combines technology and personalized interaction with our Flight team, which will give them insight into their potential new company and allow us to realistically gauge their fit within our group.

Day 1, we will conduct a Pilot Skills Test (PST). The PST is a new, computerized evaluation program that measures the critical skills necessary to become an American pilot. Day 2 is dedicated to a two-part, face-to-face interview conducted by Captains and First Officers from all of our crew bases and members of the Pilot Selection Department. The questions are behavioral-based, and our goal is to get an accurate picture of a candidates demeanor and decision-making skills by learning about actual situations theyve encountered through their career.

Ultimately, this two-day assessment allows us the opportunity to learn more about our prospective new team member and for them to learn more about the Flight Department and American Airlines.

Phase III Waiting for the call

Once we have a complete picture of the candidate, the final step is to have their file evaluated by the Pilot Selection Board a panel made up of several members of the Flight Department, including Vice President of Flight, Captain John Hale and Chief Pilot Line Operations, Captain Bart Roberts. The approved candidates are then contacted by the Flight Department and given a conditional offer with American Airlines. We then schedule a medical exam and once the results are known, we will make the final call confirming our conditional offer.
We anticipate the entire process from the point that someone is identified by the automated process until they show up for orientation and training to be approximately two months.

We think we have a good process in place and were excited to be seeking out those individuals who not only possess the ability to do the job for which they interview, but who also possess a passionate desire to do it.

All that to make poverty wages your first few years.

Wow. Pretty involved process, borderline arrogant, for an airline which for the last 20+ yrs been been one of the worst to work for. I've literally never come across anyone who's said "I want to work for American." That being said; good luck to prospective candidates. Maybe getting a bunch of "new blood" (read: non *ssholes) will turn things toward the positive for them.

Wow. Pretty involved process, borderline arrogant, for an airline which for the last 20+ yrs been been one of the worst to work for. I've literally never come across anyone who's said "I want to work for American." That being said; good luck to prospective candidates. Maybe getting a bunch of "new blood" (read: non *ssholes) will turn things toward the positive for them.

Seriously? you would be the first person I've ever heard say that AA was "one of the worst to work for" for the last 20 years. I can come up with a long list of places that would make AA look like heaven. And I've met more pilots than I could ever count, that have told me "I'd love to work for American".

The vast majority of people here are "non *ssholes". We have our 10%, just like your outfit. Don't like AA, don't apply. To all those who are about to join the ranks, welcome aboard!

Latest resources

Back