• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA and age 60

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is instructordude for real? Is it possible for him to be that clueless?

"Thanks to age 65, I am now a career FO"
Think of it as an insurance policy!

"My company is parking airplanes"
My advice is to get into a growing company!

The instructordudes of today will be the bitter and disillusioned airline pilots of tomorrow. At some point his blind, trusting optimism has got to wear off. The regionals prey on clueless, overly optimistic and gullible people like him who are fixated on their "dream airline job."

"Insurance policy" Classic.

Big Slick,

You have the big picture. Its obvious instructordude has no grasp of compounding interest (or in our case the loss of it). He needs to pick up and read a book of economics and finance to figure out what just happened to him. Putting off an upgrade for 3-5 years will cost all those not in the highest paying seats untold sums of money and quality of life issues. The short-term financial hit alone is a killer.

Yeah, we can work until 65, but for most of us, we will simply be earning back the money we lost in the first place. Another question is how long will one’s body hold up especially after all the productivity gives the last few years and with everyone now flying 90 hours plus to keep up their standard of living. This is such as thing as “burnout.”

The next big question now is “how long will they stay.”

APA’s BOD is now seriously looking to address our stagnation problem compounded by Age 65 and to create some relief for our long term stagnated FO’s. AA has among the longest time to upgrade running at around 16 years right now.

Our industry is bracing for a challenging environment ahead. Most companies are either cutting back on growth or outright downsizing. Good luck in finding an airline that will be expanding like gang busters over the next couple of years. Even Southwest is curtailing their growth.

Age 65 couldn’t have come at a worst time for most of us.

AA767AV8TOR

OR..............................

I could upgrade now, earn 50,000/yr more, and at 8% in 25 yrs it will be worth 1.71 million. I would be 60, retired,
AND WOULDN"T HAVE TO WORK FOR FREE!!!!!!!!!!!!

OR........

You could get laid off in six months and be on the street with no employment for 6 months. Then to feed your family because you have tapped all your savings that was earning 8% you take a job elsewhere. You finally get called back after 4yrs but your wages were slashed and your pensions were flushed.

Thank God for cat food, retiring at 60, and social security though.

If you want to make sure your kids don't make the same "mistake" you did you don't have to steer them away from aviation - you just have to teach them the concept of time/value of money.

My first instructor was a furloughed typer for AA at age 59, taught MD-83, 777-200. 6 months later they called him back, now teaching 737-800 ground school and Level D sim. Says he's staying to 65...Dunno if there is a difference between Type rating instructors and The pilots...

Thank God for cat food...

Typical AARP Bolshevik propaganda. Of all the BS that is spouted by the narcissistic old-people lobby, this is the most humorous.

I love how the wealthiest segment of society manages to keep stealing from the hard-working, non-social-security drawing segments (who have mortgages to pay and families to raise) so they can keep going on their two to three cruises a year. And of course if you dare say that maybe they shouldn't be able to tap Social Security benefits far beyond what they ever put in (even adjusted for inflation) then you by default "want old ladies to sit in the dark eating cat food."

OR........

You could get laid off in six months and be on the street with no employment for 6 months. Then to feed your family because you have tapped all your savings that was earning 8% you take a job elsewhere. You finally get called back after 4yrs but your wages were slashed and your pensions were flushed.

Thank God for cat food, retiring at 60, and social security though.

Furlough would be a lot less likely if the seniority list hadn't stopped dead in it's tracks now, wouldn't it?

PIPE

Furlough would be a lot less likely if the seniority list hadn't stopped dead in it's tracks now, wouldn't it?

I would think it decreases the chances of furlough there is a financial benefit to the airlines to be able to keep pilots for another 5yrs which while it will slow hiring/promotions it should in theory reduce furlough's.

I would think it decreases the chances of furlough there is a financial benefit to the airlines to be able to keep pilots for another 5yrs which while it will slow hiring/promotions it should in theory reduce furlough's.

Let me guess, you got your education at Faber college?

Latest resources

Back