• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA 757's...could it be??

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The stab actually came off? I guess I was under the impression that it was just "flapping" back there with no control over it after the jackscrew disconnected (or whatever the deal was back there).

Either way - a mechanical failure that has nothing to do with a lack of systems knowledge (like Fifi's accident in France).

Correct, the stab actually stayed attached when the jackscrew broke, and at that point the whole stab just slammed around wherever the relative wind put it.

You sir are a complete retard or completely ignorant of that incident. I don't think anyone can fly any aircraft sans the horz stab. An MD80 minus the tail vs. an airbi in an incorrect flight mode has no comparison. Please do not 'attempt' do defend your loved 320 by bringing up unsuitable accident profiles for debate, hoping you will impress and delude those here. Thanks.

No attempt to impress or dilute and I am quite aware of the facts surrounding this particular accident. Yes it was an MD83. Please do not take my post as disrespectful in any form for the heroic actions taken by that crew. They did everything they could and deserve our utmost respect for their efforts to fly that airplane under impossible circumstances.

The comparison arises in that both scenarios resulted in an accident that the pilot, for whatever reason, was unable to recover from. One was computer related, the other mechanical. Unfortunately however the outcome was the same. It only serves to reinforce that no airplane is perfect. Both have had their problems, no question. Hopefully we learn from the hard lessons and not let them repeat themselves.

One was computer related, the other mechanical.

Computer related only in that the pilot didn't know what the computer was programmed to do and expected it to do something else. Saying it's computer related makes it sound like there was a problem with the computer which there was not.

CFIT accidents are "ground related" but that ain't what causes them.

From a rampers perspective the 321 is a horrible ac to work on the ground with compared to the 757; the front bin is a good 20ft long and the rear bin with the aux fuel tank gives it less cargo space back there than a 319 with a ton more bags. I also heard from USAir pilots frequently that the plane is underpowered, needs better brakes a bigger wing and more powerful engines. I dont see how it could ever compete directly with the 757; maybe the 737-900ER but thats it.

As a frequent flyer on the DEN-DFW route,with AA 90% of the time, i always try to get the MD80 over the 737-800 or Airbus A320 series. I enjoy the 2-3 seating and like not having to climb through 2 people just to get to the isle, its also nice not to have a missing window towards the front of the economy section. Its also a lot quieter than either the 737/A320 and i can actually sleep during the flight. I cant tell a difference in flight time and i dont care if we're only at FL330.

I really wish the 717 had stayed in production, the best of both worlds.

Here's a news flash. Orbitz and Priceline don't have a button to rank-order your travel options based on brakes, cargo compartments, safety record, etc., etc.

There is only one variable that matters to anyone that doesn't work on the flight line (and that means 99.999999% of the population, to include mgt). Drumroll please ----- PRICE!

PIPE

I agree, but...

Sucks... I wish they'd just stick to an all Boeing fleet. I'll take a steam gauge "Boeing" Super 80 over a Eurotrash bus any day!

....it's just an 80, nothing super about it, but I love it! Next month will be 10 years on the DC9/MD80. I'll probably spend at least another 10.

Here's to rattling windows and setting off car alarms in a small town near you.

Mighty big words.....

Dude,
Try flying something designed in the last couple of decades and you may change your tune.

Cheers - from an AAdvantage member waiting anxiously for an AA fleet upgrade. :D

.....from a guy that has a DC-10 on his Avatar!!!:) That is the previous generation before the MD80. Where is your magenta line?! You better check your INS.

Not even an MD-11? Box-boy, please!!!

For the record, I have never met a plane I didn't like!

Hey......

OZ, TWA... doesn't matter, pilots from both those airlines taught me more about the 80 in one year than I learned over the course of 5. Great group of aviators!

P.S. AAflyer, I bet you call for "Climb thrust" instead of "Climb power", yeah?

...It's all about the EPR!

You have great dishonor.....

I love the 80--Hit the IAS/MACH button, pull the throttles to idle and watch it try to do an outside loop! :eek: ;) TC

....you bring great shame upon your house!

Latest resources

Back