• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

AA 757 off runway at ORD

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yeah, just read the report on Chicagotribune.com claims pilot did not declare an emergency. He did indeed declare it an emergency about 3 miles out. We were on standby alert before that so the trucks were in standby mode. They were on the scene in seconds. Pilot did a great job in my opinion after witnessing it upclose and personal. Fast approach indeed. No one hurt. Good job!

As far as declaring an emergency go's...if you are bound for JFK and half way across the country you decide to land in ORD...ATC is probably declaring the emergency for you even if you don't use those exact words when you tell them you have a problem and need to land. Nice job AA guys on getting it down safely and no one getting hurt!

If they were on one radio as stated then possible total electrical failure? Would they have had reversers or spoilers?

If they were on one radio as stated then possible total electrical failure? Would they have had reversers or spoilers?

No antiskid was probably the reason for blown tire or tires. Spoilers and reversers should have worked normally. Flaps should have worked with possibly no indication. Good job.

Anyone have the real story?

No, I don't. But don't worry, we have enough experts here that can produce a "fake" story by the second page of posts.

Put the Ipods and backpacks down, and let the games begin.:rolleyes:

P.S. My post just started the second page, time's a wastin'

Heard the pilots were talking with mechanics in Tulsa as they were passing over the rockies and the plane seemed to think it was on the ground. Then they started losing buses. I think they already had a deferred APU. Tulsa told them to put it down, so they did. Apparently the electrical problems kept getting worse as time went on. Maybe they made some quick decisions that got them into trouble on the ground but at least they all walked away!

Swiss Air 111 comes to mind. By the way, in the past, the Captain taught systems on the 757 and knows the aircraft well. Glad everyone is okay.

By the way, in the past, the Captain taught systems on the 757 and knows the aircraft well. Glad everyone is okay.

This crew did a great job. When I went to 767 F/O school in 1993 he was one of the systems instructors. He's been familiar with this aircraft for a long time.

I wonder how ol' Gerard would have done if presented with a similar situation as PIC in his little twin Cessna he's so proud of telling everyone he commands.

I bet the big bonus checks are already being printed and the back slapping has begun over at Centerport. Cheers!

Latest resources

Back