A380 Lands at KLAX

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
CRED ALERT!

After you've actually landed an aircraft with a landing gear truck that weighs more than the aircraft you're flying right now...log on and give us some lessons!

(sheesh!)

They all fly the same. Same principles, weight does not matter. You should know that.

And obviously you have never flown a fighter, much less any Mig or Sukhoi fighter like your credits state. Just curious, wtf is hard about a brasilia? Give me a break.

Dork.

You would know if you had flown it. And BTW, who cares if you have flown fighters?

What do you think? Are you better than the rest? You think just because you got assigned fighters that you are a better stick than someone else?

Seriously.

Look guys, it was a pretty crappy landing. There is no harm in making fun of it.

Relax. Get a hot tea. Breathe. There you go!

Explain how the principles of flying a large (heavy) aircraft vs. a small (light) aircraft are different.

Enlighten us!

The difference is the large range of possible landing weights. I'm not sure what the A380's max landing weight is, but in the only heavy I've flown, there can be a variance of 400,000# from one day to the next. A C-5 has no max landing weight; if it can takeoff, it can land. I've landed it at 760,000# for real and 840,000# in the sim and I've landed it empty at 400,000#.

Totally different airplane in every aspect at 700-800k than at 400-500k.

Hag

The difference is the large range of possible landing weights. I'm not sure what the A380's max landing weight is, but in the only heavy I've flown, there can be a variance of 400,000# from one day to the next. A C-5 has no max landing weight; if it can takeoff, it can land. I've landed it at 760,000# for real and 840,000# in the sim and I've landed it empty at 400,000#.

Totally different airplane in every aspect at 700-800k than at 400-500k.

Hag

Agreed. However, a C172 also becomes a totally different aircraft from MGOW to BEW. Even though the 172's range of useful load is in the hundreds, it still has the exact same overall effects on performance.

Airplane gets heavier, performance decreases.

Airplane gets lighter, performance increases.

Thus, a change in useful load has the same effect on a large body aircraft as a small bodied aircraft.

Latest resources

Back