Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

rfresh

B-777
Did anyone else see the large rudder inputs the pilot made just after touch down this morning at KLAX with the A380?

The touch down on the 4 mains was smooth but with the nose wheel still up in the air, the pilot went into reverse thrust (you could see the reverser cowlings on the engines sliding aft, indicating he had initiated reverse thrust) almost immediately the a/c lerched to the left as I saw the huge rudder deflect to the left - then he corrected back to centerline and you could see it lerch back to the center of the runway.

This a/c only had Airbus flight test crews on board. The only other landing I saw was a few months ago when Airbus flight test landed at some airshow in Europe - that landing was absolutely terrible - unstable approach, rocking wings and rocking touch down!!

Any see how the landing went at KJFK?

Poor landing must mean terrible aircraft.

I don't know about the A380, but a friend of mine flew (just retired) the A319 for Frontier and he says that airbus's side stick input wasn't optimzed very well in his opinion; he says you make a stick input and half second later the plane reacts to it. He said he never got used to that.

The video today of the A380 landing showed the right side of the plane - I was wondering if they had an engine on the left side fail to go into reverse thrust which would explain the large rudder inputs. Even if they did, I doubt they would make that info public.

I don't know about the A380, but a friend of mine flew (just retired) the A319 for Frontier and he says that airbus's side stick input wasn't optimzed very well in his opinion; he says you make a stick input and half second later the plane reacts to it. He said he never got used to that.

The video today of the A380 landing showed the right side of the plane - I was wondering if they had an engine on the left side fail to go into reverse thrust which would explain the large rudder inputs. Even if they did, I doubt they would make that info public.

No, no, no! You have it all wrong!

They didn't show the left side because it had duct tape holding the wing on.

It really isn't a completed airframe. It is just put together enough to make it look like it is done.

Haven't you ever seen the movie "TUCKER" ???

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back