A380 first flight on Wednesday!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
uba757 said:
Buck, budy are you talking about the AA Boeing 757 in Cali Colombia? If you are that was pilot error. Nothing to do with the airplane all pilot error.
Uba757

I am not sure exactly where it was, that's why I was calling on someone else's expertise. All I remember was that yes, it was eventually pilot error for not paying attention to what the plane was doing. It was something like the mountain was on the left side of the approach, and the missed called for a climbing right turn back to the beacon and hold. The pilot commanded the 180 on the heading bug and somehow the plane initiated a turn to the left (bug went past 180 degrees?) Since your profile says you have boeing experience, I really would appreciate it if you could elaborate on the subject? Thanks.

buck

Well Flyer, there is still the trusty old Beech 1900 (well I guess it's Raytheon these days)

:confused:

Hey, with all this bashing, remember we are all in regional forum right now...and look at the post where all the regional's are made...I didn't see any from US. Boeing has a 717, but not quite regional size.

I think that any company or group that creates new aircraft doesn't need to be bashed. Remember, Airbus isn't just french...it's 80% owned by EADS, or European Aeronautical Defense and Space, or like our NASA. The other 20% is BAE. So if you are going to bash the french, you better be ready to bash Europe.

As for taking a stab at creating new aircraft, look back at Boeing's history when Douglas and McDonald aircraft were around. The 727 had the company's bank role at stake, and then the 747 also gambled the company's bank. Who would want to fly on a Jet? Who would want to fly on a aircraft with 300+ seats? How things have changed. I think Airbus will make it. They need 300 to break even, and 130+ ordered...The aircraft hasn't even started flying yet.

PS. STEVEAIR, if you want to keep flying american aircraft, you may want to stay with your Cessna's and Piper's

Buck the captin made a mistake selecting the navaid in the FMS so the airplane turned to the identifier he had selected by error which was in the opposite direction in a Mountain Valley. Also they accepted a clearence for a straight-in approach but were too high so the FO who was flying used the spoilers to descend. When they got the GPWS warning and tried to climb they were trying to climb with the spoilers extended. They diviated from atleast 3 or 4 AA regulations during the approach into Cali. I wrote a term paper in Aviation Safety class on this accident. The NTSB faulted the pilots, AA and the FMS manufacturer or the FMS program supplier for the accident I dont remember which. This is one of the reasons why we have the EGPWS now. Uba757

uba757 said:
Buck the captin made a mistake selecting the navaid in the FMS so the airplane turned to the identifier he had selected by error which was in the opposite direction in a Mountain Valley. Also they accepted a clearence for a straight-in approach but were too high so the FO who was flying used the spoilers to descend. When they got the GPWS warning and tried to climb they were trying to climb with the spoilers extended. They diviated from atleast 3 or 4 AA regulations during the approach into Cali. I wrote a term paper in Aviation Safety class on this accident. The NTSB faulted the pilots, AA and the FMS manufacturer or the FMS program supplier for the accident I dont remember which. This is one of the reasons why we have the EGPWS now. Uba757

Also, didn't ATC have a hand in this? I thought I read something about some sort of confusion with ATC about exactly which fix they were cleared to. Is this the same accident?

When they drop the last A380 off at the bone yard....that crew is going to dead-head home on a 74.......:D

328dude you are right. The Tower controler spoke only enough English to give basic instructions and to reply Roger to all other communications from the aircraft. The Radar at the airport had been blown-up by the Leftist Rebels. Everything that could go wrong went wrong. Uba757

blown up by leftist rebels? where did this crash occur again? i thought it was in France, but apparently I am WAAAAAAAAY off.

Latest resources

Back