A320 Job Offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Shaheen

Here we go boys and girls...just been offered a job to fly A320 in India. I'm of Indian descent, born in the US, and have been flying HP Twin Cessnas in the US under 135.

ME time is coming up to just over 500. November date is offered for the ground school but the pay is very low. I won't go in to details but you can make more here flying for a regional as a new pilot than flying A320 in India.

First, please no negative stuff, I want to hear from you guys just your simple, straight, honest opinion. Some of my friends already think I am nuts for even having a doubt about takin up that job offer, but then again others have mentioned important stuff that might affect my personal life.

I have a wife, two kids, house, 401k, etc. Meaning, I would have to uproot everything and go there for the contarct period of at least two years. I am told that fo is logging close to 800 hours/year in the A320 so we're talking about 1500-1800 A320 time.

My plan is to return to the US after gaining some experience. What do you guys think about the prospects on returning with that experience. I want to stay in India for the shortest period I could, my contractual obligations, and return to the West Coast.

If I decide to stay over that period, the upgrade is running around 2.5-3 years...but, honestly, I don't know if can even handle 2 year.

Now, like I said, please no negative remarks. I am asking for your opinion as if what would you do.

Wife doesn't want to leave though, she suggest waiting for calls from regionals (applied to ten, no interviews yet).

One of my instructors is now flying for the same airline as a Captain and will be returning to the US next year, flying is good he says but quality of life sucks.

Fire away.

Last edited:
if you are already flying 135 and have 500 ME, what is 1800 airbus SIC going to get you? Without the airbus PIC you are still going to be looking at a regional job when you come back to the states. If you arent willing to stay for the upgrade and PIC then i wouldnt bother going.

As far as your eventual career prospects in the US, A320 SIC time is about the same as RJ SIC time. If there is any slight benefit to time in a haevier aircraft (unlikely), it would probably not be worth uprooting your life.

Now if you can go over, and get a quick upgrade on an airbus, get 1000 (or 1300) Airbus PIC, then you would probably be able to apply off the street at most US majors and have a good chance of getting called without an inside connection.

The upside I see is adventure, and seeing new places (but it sounds like that doesn't do the trick for your wife). The downside is that while the low pay will probably support you OK in India, any percentage you save for retirement will become meaningless back here. And travel to the US and Europe will hammer you on the cost differential.

Ditto. Unless you can get (or can stand the wait for) the quick upgrade, there really is no difference (in terms of a future back here in the US)between the India job and staying here and going to a regional.

At least not that I can think of.

That being said, it would be quite an adventure. Only you know if your wife would be up for it, though.

Good news is that you're in a good position, either way.

-JP

Well where in India will you be based? Some places are more livable than others. At least you will have somewhat of a cultural connection, but you will still find it difficult at times regardless.

Mumbai and Bangalore can be quite expensive to live the life that you are accustomed to, but some of these jobs do supply housing. Pilots do get treated better in India I think, its still very much a glamourous job there. However, dont be such a dork that you call yourself Captain 24 hours a day like some of them do.

I would not go, the pay is not worth it and it sounds like you're not too excited about it. Not to mention your wife and family doesn't want you to go. Some carriers actually doesn't like it if you have A320 time from another place because you've been trained differently and it'll be a lot harder to reteach you the way they want you to fly. Take that into consideration.

November date is offered for the ground school but the pay is very low. I won't go in to details but you can make more here flying for a regional as a new pilot than flying A320 in India.

How low? And how low relative to the base where you'll be living?

Latest resources

Back