• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A320 Job Offer

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I was in a similar boat a few years ago. I went south of the border, ie. Latin America and flew as an FO in a B727. Bottom line is I got 1000 hours sic and came back to the U.S. and had to start all over again...hauling checks,freight, and eventually made it to the fractionals. I say stay here and stick it out. SIC time is worthless, especially when you have low/no PIC time. Furthermore, if your wife doesn't like the idea, she'll like it even less when you live over there. QOL, albeit miserable at regional wages, will be a known quantity here and an unknown over there.

Last edited:
Never forget that the joy from a happy family last much longer than the thrill of a new job. Just my 2 cents.

Youd have to post some more details on pay, base, items the company will take care of for you, etc. I was reading about the pilot shortage in India, among other countries. But it seems a lot of the operators were not willing to budge on the non-hiring of expat guys, age 60 requirement, etc. If they have a shortage of local/qualified guys, and want their airlines to continue running, then maybe they should get off of it and hire some of us Infidels.

Go check out pprune.org, youll get a mouthful over there also. It focus's on the international pilot community. Your post would probably get a more realistic reponse over there. Its hard for me to post there, because they all hate americans (ok slight exaggeration, but they still hate americans).

If the wife ain't happy... ain't nobody happy!!!!

Read there isnt all that much difference between RJ SIC time and A320 sic time if you dont have the PIC time to back it up. If you wife and family are not on board it would be a miserable decision that could cost your marriage.

Shaheen,
I was in a similar situation too.. Got even hired to fly 737s , right seat.. Talking to few friends and some people working at majors made me see that 737-sic time, even with a type rating won't get me a job at a 737 operator in the US. So i decided to stay..

Well where in India will you be based? Some places are more livable than others. At least you will have somewhat of a cultural connection, but you will still find it difficult at times regardless.

Mumbai and Bangalore can be quite expensive to live the life that you are accustomed to, but some of these jobs do supply housing. Pilots do get treated better in India I think, its still very much a glamourous job there. However, dont be such a dork that you call yourself Captain 24 hours a day like some of them do.

:)
Yes, I see that amongst Indian and Pakistani pilots...even a guy flying a 172, wears four stripes and like to be addressed as captains. Some of them even have 'Letterheads' - for personal and business use - with Captain as a title.

Can you believe at some Indian airlines, they pilots don't even carry their flight cases. The airlines have hired people, I kid you not, actual ramp agents whose sole purpose in life is to carry pilots bags from the crew lounge to the flight deck...and yes, they must walk behind the crew.

What I thought was the most laughable, however, was when some engineers would use 'Engr.' in front of their names.

If you get over there see if you can teach the controllers and telephone tech service types some decent English skills...

Tell me about it.

Only if one day I'm able to convince Indians not to speak so fast. But, they believe that simply by speaking on Mach 2 makes them come across as a 'sharp' English speaker. It's the culture. They don't put much emphasis on grammar and pronunciation; it's the speed that thrills them.

I have heard horror stories of Indian Airlines 747 crews at ORD. In India it's worst. But the problem is that if you try to tell them, they think you're the one with a problem. They take it as a great insult if you try to correct their English.

On the other hand, I grew up here, and I appreciate when someone corrects my bad grammar or help with English in general.

I will try though.
:)
If I go!

What is your end goal. Call Colgan, they're hiring a lot. Upgrades are hovering around 1-1.5 years, pay isn't bad, and you can live at your base. United or Continental won't care if you've got A320 time, it'll just make the oral tougher. Don't catch AIDS (Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome) because of your Shiny Airbus fascination.

Shy

I am with the group that thinks how well you and your family adapt to the lifestyle there is the critical element in the equation. Your post does not indicate whether your wife is Indian so her happiness is extremely important. The multi engine turbine big airplane time is of some but not great reward if you have to be miserable for 2 years and lose your family support over it.

I have interviewed a number of guys that got into a right seat deal in a big airplane--more in Latin America than elsewhere--and for the most part, I discounted the times. I like Airnet types or people that have been flying auto parts, single pilot 402's to the islands, that type of flying versus someone who knew someone and got into the A300.

Gotta agree with flatspin.

It will not help you get on anywhere in the US. SIC is pretty much useless for anything but adding to your total time and if the pay is that low, do you really want to put your family through the stress of leaving? If you were single that would be different, if you wanted to return to India and stay that would be different, but your current situation is screaming for you to stay put, get on at SkyWest or Whiskey and ride it out in the US.

It might seem like it will help but all it will give you is something to talk about later.

Latest resources

Back