• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A very effective alternative to a strike

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You're gonna ask for pay raises while the profit margin shrinks?

Maybe do it when management makes it clear that they're not ready to put a decent offer on the table.

I can understand if in Ch 11 but if the airline is profitable doesn't it give a reason for mgmt to come to the table. No?

If the pilot group decides to go on strike, then that group has excercised every option, and it is their last tool available. They have hit a wall of progress. The line has been drawn. It takes a long time normally to get there.

I have never been on strike, and hope that I never do. I will go if it is required, and have voted for a strike vote during contract talks. But that too, is a tool, to motivate that company.

Neither side wants a strike, both sides lose.

In this climate and in my opinion most mgts would state that there is not much to give if the profits are to be MAINTAINED; ie most do not put their employees' needs and QOL as high priorities. In otherwords instead of fostering higher employee morale/productivity/cust. service (because of course none of these things are relevant to a successful business), cheap labor is the ONLY way to profitability. Mgts will use this as their excuse (ala Amr, LCC et.al..).

....the talk about strikes and the debate about the legality of it....
What do you think?

I've never heard of a debate about the legality of a strike. What is illegal is Wildcat actions such as you are suggesting.

American pilots can give you 45.5 million reasons to avoid your advice.

I've never heard of a debate about the legality of a strike. What is illegal is Wildcat actions such as you are suggesting.

...now if on one particular day, every flight arrived late...:) or blocked out late......would that be considered a wildcat ?

It would certainly get the word across.

Guys,

I’ve got to be honest with you. After reading some of the responses to this tread, I fully understand why our profession has cratered over the last 25 years. Just burning a bit more gas and keeping the APU’s running has pilots wringing their hands and scurrying for the exits.

For your information, there is an all out assault on our profession by every management team in the industry and the ATA. Management wants pilots to be one notch above a long-haul truck driver. In fact most long-haul truck drivers with a sixth-grade education are making as much if not more than many of our folks at the regional airlines. Beginning wages for pilots are bottom of the barrel.

Managements will lie, cheat, and steal at every opportunity from us, but a lot of you are still naïve enough to want to be the nice guy and play by the rules. Fact is, most managements will not begin to bargain in good-faith until they start feeling the financial pain. Why should they?

Snapshot, AA pilots never paid anywhere near the $45.5 million dollar fine. AMR knows it had a great deal with APA and didn’t want to bankrupt the union. Had they taken the fine, most likely we would have gone back to ALPA and who knows what would have happened. As it stands, AMR was able to gain $660 million per year in concessions (most value it in the $800 million - $1 Billion range) in 2003. We probably won’t get a new contract until 2009 or 2010. You do the math.

We all have lost a lot of ground. If we want to get it back, it will take hard ball negotiations and tactics. Don’t plan on management to roll over for us.

AA767AV8TOR

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back