Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

EDUC8-or

These Nachos Are Good
We received a call from an individual wanting to spead some ashes over the Atlantic Ocean. Our Chief Pilot knows people that have done it in a 172 and heard ashes fly inside and it can be very messy. That leaves an airplane with a rear door that can be removed (Seneca) and I'm the only MEI at the school. He gave me the number to call to arrange the flight.

I'll take the flight, but it seems really sad to me. (Make fun of me if you wish, I think I'm all emotional now that I hit the big 3-0 and got married in the past year.) Anyways, has anyone ever done this? How do you keep the ashes from flying in? I know it's a very sensitive issue for the individuals involved and I want to make it pleasant for the family.

I remember reading about a guy doing this from "Flying" magazine. I think it was in the "I learned about flying from that" section a few years ago.

Also I think that I remember reading about it on flighinfo within the past year, so perhaps a search would bring up something.

What I remember from "flying" is that they made careful preparations. I think that they opened the storm window and sealed it with a sponge. Then they stuck a tube between the window and sponge while slowly dumping the ashes out. That way nothing blew back into the plane.

Hopefully you can find a way to do this.

EDIT:
I did a search, and here is a link to a thread from 2 years ago...

http://forums.flightinfo.com/showthread.php?t=6451

Last edited:
A good friend of mine did this (or tried to do this) in his 206 a few years back as a favor to a lady who wanted her husband's ashes spread over a golf course that he was a member at. I guess it was something that he always had wanted done and he made that very clear over his last few months when he was alive.

So off they went..

My friend, Charlie's ashes, and his wife. My friend made some sort of contraption with a funnel and a hose but needless to say this didn't work very well. They got up to around 3000 ft and for some reason things did not go as planned and 95% of the ashes ended up all over the inside of his airplane and all over him and Charlie's wife. The way that he tells the story is pretty comical and he still says to this day that everytime that he goes flying that Charlie is still in cracks and places in the plane that he was unable to clean.:p

Be careful but I am sure you are making someone happy since that was a wish that you are helping come true. Sad? Yes, but it should also make you feel good to help a family out.

3 5 0

I had to do it a few years back. I would tell you to do this:

Place ashes in a small paper bag. Take a piece of good strong duct tape and put it on one side of the bag, and attach a string. Hold the string, throw the bag. Once the string goes taught, bag rips open.

There is an article on the AOPA member's site about it. Simply, use the storm window and the tube from a roll of wrapping paper to get it past the fuselage slipstream.

Not kidding.

Here you go:

Scattering Ashes: Aerial Burial

This topic sheet explains the process of scattering human remains from a light aircraft. Some pilots operate businesses doing this, often in cooperation with local funeral homes. A list of sources and equipment for this type of operation is at the end of this topic sheet.

Scattering of human cremains from an aircraft is often done to carry out the last request of the deceased.

It is safe and legal if all FAA and state or local regulations are followed. California is the only state with stringent regulations on aerial burial, but you should check in your area before performing the scattering. Having a second pilot—or assistant to actually scatter the cremains while you fly—is desirable, if only for safety. The most common difficulty in scattering ashes is "blowback" of ashes into the cabin.

Human cremains usually come in a plastic bag inside a small cardboard container. They often contain larger bone fragments that should be removed prior to scattering to avoid jamming the airplane elevator. All scattering operations start with the airplane in slow flight and a door or window open. A few pilots report they just hold the plastic bag out the window while slipping the airplane on the side the cremains are being scattered. Many other pilots report that this method causes much "blowback" because the plastic bag is not far enough away from the cockpit. At least one pilot tells AOPA that using a long mailing tube as a "chute" for the ashes keeps "blowback" to a minimum.

A more consistently successful method involves transferring ashes to a paper sack, with a 10-foot rope or cord around the mouth of the sack. Perforate the sack in two or three places around the neck of the sack, just below the rope. Tie the other end of the rope to a seat inside the aircraft. In a Cessna, open the pilot window and toss out the sack when over the scattering site; in a Piper or Beech, open the door. When the sack reaches the end of its rope after being tossed out, it gets a jerk which tears open the sack at the perforations and scatters the ashes. Simply reel in the rope and shut the window or door.

Pilots who do this for a living say they much prefer to scatter ashes without family present in the airplane, although at least one suggests that family members enjoy watching from the ground. Small flowers added to the cremains make a pleasing effect when viewed from the ground. One pilot operation that offers scattering of cremains says that prices start at $375.

[font=VERDANA,HELVETICA,ARIAL]Resources, Additional Help

[/font]

Equipment
A company called "Trail's End" makes a device for clean aerial dispersion: a large fabric window unit is $199; a small trigger-activated unit (for porthole-type openings) was $399. Trails End Aerial Dispersion, Inc., 1390 Adriel Drive, Fort Collins, CO 80524; telephone 970/221-8555.

Sources

• "Enterprising Pilots Start New Business," Aviation Journal, April 1978, p. 5.
  • "Ashes Aloft, Alas, For One Final Flight," Aviation International News, March 1, 1993, p. 64
  • "Scattering Ashes Isn't Always Easy," Flying Magazine, August 1994, p. 108.
  • Aviation Special Interest Group (AVSIG) on CompuServe, collected messages, April 1996.

I did this in a 172. Just put the person who is going to dump the ashes in the back seat.

Also, if the side window has the latch on it that only allows it to come open just a little, undo the latch so you can open the window all the way so it will sit right up against the bottom of the wing, just hold on to the window when you open it, it will try to fly out of your hands.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back