• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Quick F9 .... answer b4 the feces keep getting thrown

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
So the goal was to low ball knowing that straight staple was unfair even though time was a factor. Was is really FAPA or SWAPA that threw negotiations?
Fairness is often times in the eye of the beholder....
En Mort Main

Let me explain to you how negotiations work. Each side starts with an extreme proposal and then moves to somewhere in the middle. Swapa was trying to move to the middle, but FAPA refused to move from their extreme. Do you really think it would have been fair for an F9 1994 DOH to be right after a swa 1972 DOH and then on down the list?

40% pay raise for the F9 F/O's, gone. Job security for F9 pilots, gone. Was it worth it? Doesn't matter to me. I would rather hire pilots who want to be @ WN and grow on our own. A pilot who has been hired and not acquired is the one I would rather be sitting next to. What did Republic do to the Midwest guys after they took over? Not try to be a smart a$$ on that one, just asking. Everything else, smart a$$. I know I sound like a jerk, actually not the intention. My point is this, WN made a fair offer to a group of great people over @ F9, and in todays environment, job security is a good thing to have. If you can use "job security" and "airline pilot" in the same sentence. "Stapled" with a 40% pay raise and job security? I'll take that any day.

Fire away

There's nothing to fire at... it's the truth. I'm embarrassed to be part of FAPA/F9. They have no idea what just happened and what a disaster our professional careers have drawn into. I want out of this mess

To answer the above question... no its not fair. The staple offer was fair to 100% of the F9 pilots I communicate with.

Let me explain to you how negotiations work. Each side starts with an extreme proposal and then moves to somewhere in the middle. Swapa was trying to move to the middle, but FAPA refused to move from their extreme. Do you really think it would have been fair for an F9 1994 DOH to be right after a swa 1972 DOH and then on down the list?

I've heard that's not how it went down. Didn't see anywhere where SWA moved away from the staple, so not sure how it is they tried to "move to the middle." I gotta feel for the F9 guys at that conference call. 3.5 hours and you have the futures of hundreds of pilots in your hand, not an enviable position. SWA comes at you with the staple, you counter with the ridiculous pay and medical benefits for furloughed pilots idea (probably had that proposal ready to fire in anticipation of the staple offer), and no time to really work anything out. I gotta figure for something as important as this that it was planned all along to pressure the F9 guys with this 11th hour ultimatum BS. No wonder they said no, 3 hours isn't enough time to digest anything. As a former F9er, I still have many friends there. The universal opinion I got seemed to be some kind of integration at the bottom of the list and a few hundred F9ers at the bottom would have been palatable. Of course, all of my friends there are junior and that probably isn't the opinion at the top. I think it may have been closer than it seems, and the opportunity slipped by because of the timeline. Both sides lost on this one.

Time will tell. The F9 guys will be able to look at where they'd be on the WN payscale/seniority list 1 or 5 or 10 years from now and they will know if FAPA did them any favors or not.

I've heard that's not how it went down. Didn't see anywhere where SWA moved away from the staple, so not sure how it is they tried to "move to the middle."

SWAPA gave FAPA 3 of the 4 things they asked for. FAPA response? They asked for more things.

II gotta feel for the F9 guys at that conference call. 3.5 hours and you have the futures of hundreds of pilots in your hand, not an enviable position. .

Too bad FAPA couldn't be on time for the meeting. They could of had 2.5 hours more. They also could have shown up ready to negotiate on day one. Face it, FAPA was counting on arbitration, and thought they were in the driver's seat.

Latest resources

Back