A question for SWA pilots.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atafan

We've been hearing about this International plan for 08 or 09 a lot lately. Is this the usual tactic by your management to talk about future growth this far out.

I usually don't hear about SWA plans until only a few months before their strike. I'm thinking the strategy is to see International Ops much sooner.

Answer

atafan said:
We've been hearing about this International plan for 08 or 09 a lot lately. Is this the usual tactic by your management to talk about future growth this far out.

I usually don't hear about SWA plans until only a few months before their strike. I'm thinking the strategy is to see International Ops much sooner.

Three letters can answer this question: huh?

Who knows what it means? They often hint or imply one course of action and then do somethin entirly different. Sometimes I think this is due to intentional misdirection, but more often than notI think it is because we position ourselves for what we consider the most likly course of action, but then change plans as the situation warrents.
My guess is that international is not out of the question, but highly unlikely anytime as soon as 08 or 09. But if that is the best opportunity available ....

Where is Southwest gonna go? Canada? They gonna need Spanish speakers, and pay their FAs more to fill out all the customs forms for the illiterate masses on their jets from MeXiCo.

Have fun

Three letters can answer this question: huh?

Let me change my question to a statement.

We normally don't hear of SWA future plans until the last moment. Gary Kelly has made several comments regarding future international ops, one time he said latter this year but mostly he says sometime before 09. I believe the only reason he mentions it at all is because training is taking place along with other moves that will not allow SWA to conceal this move.

I expect to see SWA, via the ATA codeshare, flying int'l in the summer of 07 if not sooner.

Where is Southwest gonna go?

I know of some cities that ATA is considering now.

In general, Houston to Mexico and Central America and Orlando to the Caribbean. I have also heard of some Canadian cities being discussed, as a matter of fact Canada will probably be first.

ivauir said:
Who knows what it means? They often hint or imply one course of action and then do somethin entirly different. Sometimes I think this is due to intentional misdirection, but more often than notI think it is because we position ourselves for what we consider the most likly course of action, but then change plans as the situation warrents.
My guess is that international is not out of the question, but highly unlikely anytime as soon as 08 or 09. But if that is the best opportunity available ....

Agreed, not even before 2010, if I were a betting man.

I've heard this over and over from management: Not going int'l until domestic growth has leveled off. That's not going to happen anytime soon. We still need to fill DEN, RSW, PHL, PIT, IAD, MSY etc. We're not even close on that. Also, there are still plenty of places we haven't gone into yet: MSP, ATL, BOS, LGA, ANC, CLT etc. Until the domestic market is fully saturated, no int'l for swa. My guess: 5-6 years minimum.

I have heard nothing on the line about international ops. Other then flying in Texas. :D

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back