FlyingFarmer

Hey Guys!

Rumour control please........
I "heard" that you guys are seeking FAR
modification for domestic 8 in 24 in order to do
.........Transcon one day trips.....???

Is this true?

FF

Research on this matter is ongoing. It would be for daylight operations only, i.e. early morning departure JFK to West Coast and then return. A few pairings have already been developed for test purposes only...

I'm curious ...

Does that mean you intend on 1 leg west (JFK-LGB) and then a 1 leg return ? It's a stretch w/o some sort of rest period (even 1 hour 'resting my eyes' would help).

If JetBlue successfully petitions the FAA to modify the domestic 8 hr rules you can bet we (WN) will have to endure this policy change also.

But ... here's the day I would have ...

BWI-MDW-PHX-LAX-MCI (or SLC) - BWI.

I would be asleep by MCI on the return leg. Not to mention, I'm sure I would be met by a CATIIIa ILS10 into BWI for the last leg.

No thanks ...

I would MUCH rather fly to LGB in the morning and then turn and burn back to JFK rather than try to sleep during the day, only to redeye back to JFK. With our bidding system, if you don't want to do that, then don't bid it! I would love to work 8 - 10 days a month! I hope it flies!:D

FlyingFarmer said:
Hey Guys!

Rumour control please........
I "heard" that you guys are seeking FAR
modification for domestic 8 in 24 in order to do
.........Transcon one day trips.....???

Is this true?

FF

Well, we aren't exactly asking for FAR's to be modified. That would mean that this would apply to all Part 121 carriers. What we are seeking is an exemption for our west coast flights only. If it is approved, it would be for JB only. If others follow, well then that is their choice. It will not be a change of the regulations for all airlines.

This is without a doubt the dumbest thing I have ever heard of a pilot group supporting. Please tell me the entire pilot group is not behind this and it is a small bunch of yahoos who think it's a good idea.

Wake the EFFFF UP!!!!!!!!!!!!

Guys, Guys,

You cannot be serious---
I'm going to try to respond with some civility first...

Nah screw that----

(oohh man, I'm probably going to apologize later for what I'm about to say---)

First of all, FZRA--

Think you knucklehead!! FAR modifications such as these will sweep across the industry. We're not talking two legs a day-
We're talking about what would eventually become 18 legs a day-

Jet Blue MORONS---- Please wake up and realize that you
don't exist in a vacumm, realize the sweeping changes that pilot sanctioning of changes such as these would have on the entire industry--- FZRA---Dude- Look in the effing mirror- you are a young, low low time guy, what do you want to be doing when your 55?? 8-10 days off---well guess what?! I get that now--Here's an idea....get some UNITY, and get your contract MIN days off modified, not walking in to Needlemans office and bending over, and saying, how can we help you efff us in the ass?

What are you guys APA?

Red- "a few pairings only"------- Right..............that's how it starts,
and then at the next contract it's .....

".... well, we already got you idiots to clean the airplanes, so we don't have to hire cleaners-----now if I can get you guys to do your own maintenace, let's see, Airbus can make a spares kit, not just light bulbs, but how about brakes and tires, yeah, these pilots idiots will go for that after a few more contract iterations down the road------"

Blue aid drinkers need to think about what they want to be doing in 20 years- If you want more days off- get a REAL contract-

---Wake Up!

Pilots from other carriers please weigh in on this issue-

Here's a thought......does ALPA know about this???? Somebody should post this on the ALPA or DALPA forum.

Or here's a thought.....post it on that AAPA forum----

I bet those hard liners at APA would do something about this.....

Yeah!!!!!!

hhmmmm... well, maybe not-

Last edited:
Yaks,

Why is it a dumb idea? Is it better to mess up your body clock. Is it worse than commuting in one the same day and then doing a redeye transcon or "pond" jump. Both of which is done frquently by crewmembers.

Flying Farmer,

No, jetBlue does not exist in a vacuum and btw, we are not the only carrier petition the FAA for this, apparently one of the majors have been interested for years. They wish to do Hawaii out and backs. Not sure where you get ten days off a month from, but the jetBlue pilots have at least 14, with the average days of around 16 and senior pilots just shy of 18, this while flying 75-80 hrs a month. Productivity is rather high and the pilot group has endorsed this. Most people here prefer to be home with their families, as I am sure you do.

PLS,

As someone said, the exemption would apply to jetBlue and would be restricted to daylight transcons, with limits on legs and landings, ie 2 legs, 2 landings. I think that is better than flying out in the morning, "resting 12 hours, then flying a redeye back.
Certainly is a lot better than "standups", you know where you fly three hours, go to the hotel for 6 and then fly three hours back. Quite legal, but very hard on the body.

The studies done by NASA supports that from a scientific stand point, just like NASA endorses powernaps as does quite a few foreign carriers.

I would gladly see the FAA raise the 30 in 7, to perhaps 35 in seven. The 30 in 7 rule made sense when prop planes was involved, but with the advent of quiter, more ergonomic cockpits, I believe it would be as safe. Would rather see a reduction in duty limits from 16 to 14 and believe that would enhance safety more.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back