Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

hmmm

Hey, I am probably like others here.

I have had my A&P and I.A. since the early 90's and been very experienced in maintenance on J-3 to L-1011 since I was 15 now 42 yrs old.

Jet engine overhaul (legally as repair) and inspection, rebuilding aircraft for insurance companies....(heavy sheet metal forming, heat treating fabrication, avionics installation, electrical, reciprocating flat engine and radial engine repair 985 to 4360)

Been commercially flying since 28 now with over 8172 total 4831 pic and 3154 jet pic with CL-65/850 pic type and 737 pic airline trained type not a type school and have been trying to find a job for 5.5 months and can't find one in ANY field including prison guard and have tried even Home Depot and no luck.

Any ideas? I live in KJAX / Jacksonville area and own a 5000 sq foot hangar with a complete aircraft shop I built myself on a county strip. No work there either.

I'm 23 to 30 dme from KJAX and KCRG/Craig KHEG/Herlong and KVQQ/Cecil as well as KSSI/Saint Simons and KBQK/Brunswick Jet port

Have only a $909 dollar mortgage on the house and $688 mortgage on the hangar. Can store a plane in the hangar as well.

Need to eat a little but I can find some soup somewhere.

I thought people would like having a A&P mechanic with Inspection Authorization that meets all mins pilot insurance wise.

Haven't seen that yet.

No kids so already tried to get a foreign job, but no luck there either.

Have an app out at every entity out there, most twice or more.

83 from the bottom at United and will be furloughed 9.3 years unless they drop any more aircraft and am ready to resign seniority or early leav e bonds.

Sunday the 24th 2008 (912) 547-5477

Last edited:
I'm not sure I understood all that, but gather that you're either a United Airlines pilot about to be furloughed, or a mechanic looking for someone to rent your hangar...and something in there about home depot. I think you described everything to us but your mating habits...save for the things we might most need to know.

You appear to be looking for work. What type of work do you want, and what resources have you used in seeking it?

Thanks erj-145mech

I have applied to mechanic jobs advertised in jax in the last few months but haven't been called on them.

I haven't seen the ones you linked there.

Again Thanks very much. Will send my resume there as well.

I really appreciate it.

Hey man, you sound like a pretty qualified pilot/mechanic. There's a thread somewhere on here with a bunch of links to employment sites. Try a search or check the interview forum. It might be there.

Good luck. Something will surely turn up for a guy with your credentials. My adivce though, in times likethis is that the job will comethrough a goodconnection. Maybe it's a good time to get back in touch with old flying buddies. BEST way to land a job - knowing someone.

Not going to answer the questions, then, apparently.

I'm sorry fella. I thought you were just quickly glancing over what my original post said and typed shooting from the hip.

Everything you asked about was written in the first post. It was all there. Sorry.

Hey man, you sound like a pretty qualified pilot/mechanic. There's a thread somewhere on here with a bunch of links to employment sites. Try a search or check the interview forum. It might be there.

Good luck. Something will surely turn up for a guy with your credentials. My adivce though, in times likethis is that the job will comethrough a goodconnection. Maybe it's a good time to get back in touch with old flying buddies. BEST way to land a job - knowing someone.

Thanks for the encouragement. Yes, I have been everywhere, all the old buddies, all the sites, job resellers, advertisers, directly to employers sites, FBO message boards, old employers, message boards, interview boards, searched corporate flight department chief pilot emails....am sort of at wits end since I've been spending every second away from studying current (latest) aircraft on trying to find a job.

Been to two interviews for non aviation related jobs and both interviewers were late for the meeting by more than an hour. One was at a prison and had advertised for a Safety Manager and wanted a Fire Marshall.

I wish I were the old buddy that could be helping others find a job. Last time I was. This time I'm not.

Really the information wasn't in the post...which is why I asked. Generally people don't post their life saga here, and there's an enormous amount of information there which really isn't understandable or relevant.

Again, I'm still not clear if you're flying for an airline or not (you appear to have said you're getting furloughed from United), or flying for anyone. You just posted to indicate that you're studying your current airplane...which suggests you are flying and from your wording suggests you just got typed. Are you looking for a different flying job and are currently flying?

You appear to be suggesting that no employment of any kind is to be had. I gather from your post that you intend not to move anywhere. I gather from your post that you're looking for any kind of work, be it turning wrenches or flying...though the fact that you posted in the mechanic's forum doesn't suggest very strongly that you're after a pilot seat.

In your last post you hinted that you've hit all the employment sites...so presumably the usual (climbto350, airjobsdaily, etc) are regular visits for you.

You haven't really indicated a preference on the type of work, and if it's flying, any specific qualifications (do you do ag work, are you looking for utility work, any special qualifications, etc), if you're willing or able to travel, if you want or will accept long term work, etc.

I gather from your post that you're seeking someone to rent hangar space from you. That wasn't really very clear. In fact, it was hard to tell if you were after a job or trying to fill your hangar.

Attempting to come up with something or point you somewhere might be a little easier with a simple statement like "I'm trying to find a corporate pilot position and I need to stay in the jacksonville area," or "I'm able to take extended deployments, I'm single, and I can travel as required," or "I'm seeking an airline position." help. Something a little more direct and simple.

Miami Air was recently hiring. Avantair is in Clearwater, and always hiring. STS Services is looking for line mechs in Miami. Jet Select is after an Astra captain in Boca Raton.

You might have to travel, commute, or even move. You've been around long enough, it seems to know about the cycles in aviation. Every five years or so we high a high, every other five years a low like this where it's very difficult at times to find work. I've certainly taken plenty of supplementary, temporary, part time, or other jobs when the need came up. Everything from working in a rubber stamp factory to working in law enforcement, medical, and fire. Cutting logs, swabbing theater floors and supermarket floors. Greenhouse worker. Armed gaurd. You name it.

I've never seen so few jobs in Trade A Plane, and I've been hired out of there a few times. I've found work on Climbto350. The various job fairs come up from time to time; I've found work there, too. Regular visits to job service. There's plenty of maintenance work to be had though it's not uncommon to need to travel. I imagine that you could have a fairly steady stream of light singles through your hangar for annuals, could you not? Offer a little lower rate, increase volume, do good work...get known. If things are really that dead to where there's no work, what about flying a C-210 around the state doing boxes for flight express, or a similiar outfit? There's no shortage of ambulance outfits in Florida.

US Customs is looking for pilots. Dynamic Aviation is looking for pilots. 3 com (L-3) is after pilots, the links previously provided are good. Dyncorp was recently looking for DC3 pilots...their subcontractor EAST is based just south of you at PAFB, and hires into the Caravan, AT802, and OV-10.

I'm not trying to kick at you here, just trying to get a little more useable information to try to point you one direction or the other...that's all.

Latest resources

Back