A New SWA Base

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

New SWA Wife

Hello again. A new question for you all...

I've gotten some great feedback on housing which has been wonderful. But I heard a rumor that a new base may be opening sometime in 2006. Florida or North Carolina? I heard somewhere in the East.

Any info out there?

Thanks,
the "Whiff"

For what it's worth, I flew with a pretty senior Captain the other day and brought this up. The "rumor" is there because the base has been budgeted. However, it was budgeted this year as well...and no new base. While money has been allocated against a "plan," fiscal realities (e.g. the current oil shock, or a possible softening revenue environment) can eat anticipated earnings and change the "plan." In my own opinion, I wouldn't count on a new base until it's actually announced.

Tampa used to be in the running. After last years hurricane season the company decided that having two bases that could be disrupted by the same event would not be wise. North Carolina has never ever been mentioned, with our small presence there I would say that is a big bad rumor . . As of now I would say no base for 2006 due to $$$$. MSY is going to hurt for a long time. And SW is going hold on to every penny we have. My future guess -Still- LAS.

SWA wants to do it the most cost effective way. They are budgeting for it to help analyze the costs vs. benefits.

The redo of the schedule last year came with the announcement of no new domicile until at least 2006. There was a dollar figure on how much delaying a new domicile until 2006 would save. Naturally, rumors are now going around that a new domicile will happen in 2006.

I'm not in the know, but there is more planning to do before a new domicile gets even close to approval. Once approved it could happen quick because it will save money. There seems to be a lot of 3 and 4 day trips. A new domicile could cut many of them to 1 and 2 days. If there are not big savings I don't know why a new domicile would be created.

Where? I don't think anyone knows. It depends on how you redo the schedule. You can look at where the most overnights are, but that could change with revised pairings. Vegas is everyone's best guess.

I think we need to wait and see how many more gates we get in the Northeast. I can see a possible domicile in PIT or PHL 2007 or later.

Last edited:
I've also heard rumors of "virtual domiciling" or "mini-domiciling." I'm sure someone can explain those concepts better than I can, though.

Islip "Lawn Gyland" /ISP effective Feb 29th ...... Only kiddin' ;)

PHXFLYR:cool:

Some thoughts from an FO,

In Oct '04 the company put out a new flight schedule that improved efficiency of aircraft & pretty much took away the need for a new domicile in '05. It was said at the time that prior to that point the 3 cities based upon the study at the time that were the most attractive were LAS, BNA & TPA (not necessarily in that order). It was also said at the time this efficiency move would allow the company to delay until "at least" '06 the need for another new domicile.

SWA generally uses the following criteria for deciding when a new domiciile is required:

They look to have on average 18% of all aircraft terminating in domiciles. This number allows the percentage of 4 day trips to be at the 20% level or thereabouts. The union has a slightly different view of that formula but according to management this is the criteria they use. If that number starts to dwindle below that "magic number", then the 4 day trips tend to become too plentiful & the inefficiency & "pain level" increases.

It costs $1m to open up a domicile just for chief pilots, add nearly another $1m for infrastructure costs, add annual expenditures & recurring costs of salary & staff contributes nearly another $1m....add in moving costs for folks to a new base & the costs really become much higher. The company will determine from a dollar amount when these costs are justifiable....I'm told right now that is not on the horizon anytime soon...things can always change.

As for mini-domiciles....they have been proposed, there are some aspects that appear interesting....again dollars & efficiency will be the determining factor on whether it occurs or not...never say never....hope that helps.

D@mn, look at the brain on Chase...

thanks for the good info. Can someone rekindle my hopes for another western domicile?

Latest resources

Back