• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A New Southwest/AirTran merger theory

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Nothing would kill the LUV culture quicker than a merger with S/I. I'd like to think GK knows that.

...and what culture are you talking about? Our pilot culture? It's the same as yours...we work hard, we deserve more, and we're interested in the future of our jobs. What exactly is different? If you're talking about the "Atlantitude" from our gate agents, or our compassionate :puke: management group, then I can understand a little better.

It's not gonna happen folks, but I'll still give this thread at least 7 pages of bickering about seniority lists and who's the bigger group of jerk-offs. ;)

I for one would welcome a merger with SWA.

Then we could finally get peanuts onboard!!

Just imagine SWA customer service agents rolling down ATL Concourses C & D like a crimson tide and rounding up all of our gate agents for "reconditioning training" on how to do their job properly and politely.

No more, "now boarding zone 1" followed in a frantic manner with "now boarding zones 2, 3, 4....hurry up! Zones 5, 6. Get on board! All zones, All zones!! We're closing the flight right now!!" As you look at the clock and there is still 20 minutes to go with passengers spilling out the top of an un-airconditioned jetway because the gate agent didn't follow the zone boarding protocol properly, as usual.

The ridiculous 40 minute boarding procedure would be replaced by a much more logical 30 minute procedure...or maybe even 25, so our F/A's could have a chance to actually get off the plane and get something to eat.

...and what culture are you talking about? Our pilot culture? It's the same as yours...we work hard, we deserve more, and we're interested in the future of our jobs. What exactly is different? If you're talking about the "Atlantitude" from our gate agents, or our compassionate :puke: management group, then I can understand a little better.

It's not gonna happen folks, but I'll still give this thread at least 7 pages of bickering about seniority lists and who's the bigger group of jerk-offs. ;)

It doesn't matter what any of us think; we fly the airplanes and management makes decisions about the future of us flying the airplanes. I can tell you first hand that the Airtran crews that I've met are a class act! Thanks for the ride to and from work and keep up the great product you offer!

It doesn't matter what any of us think; we fly the airplanes and management makes decisions about the future of us flying the airplanes.

That is a very true statement.

I can tell you first hand that the Airtran crews that I've met are a class act! Thanks for the ride to and from work and keep up the great product you offer!

You're always welcome! Thanks to SWA for taking care of our people as well.:beer:

Sun Country:
- In BK...no significant tangible assets
- Same terminal in MSP
- Same aircraft type
- Established Mexico,caribbean, and military ops

Just my .02

Wrong again.....its jetBlue!

BOS is our second largest base...SWA is coming into BOS but in a small way.

JFK is our largest base they get a new terminal and 30% of the NY market. We also fly out of LGA....we have 3 times the slots as SWA has in LGA. Don't forget HPN ....we carry Half the people that depart out of there.

FLL and MCO......we have 9 Caribbean destinations and Mexico, Costa Rica and Bogota.

LGB and LAX ....well LGB would be great to add to their LAX operation.

Oh ya.....40 E-190's and they want this kind of plane.

Because it's all about you.....no wonder this industry is so screwed up! Explain to everyone on this board with some intelligence why you are entitled to putting all AirTran pilots behind 9/08 nehires. How absurd!

Not my fight...but I'll throw my .02 in....EAGLE: Answer me this:
How many WN pilots have left for the greener pastures of Air Tran? How about going the other way? Will all of those former Air Tran folks now working for WN get the seniority they would have gotten under your plan?

Not saying that IF this does happen there should be a staple...but 4:1 or even 6:1 is absurd IMHO

BTW...not a slam on your airline...I like you guys...I just want you guys to stay you guys and not become us. Not up to me though.

Last edited:
Why wouldn't you treat the AirTran pilots like you did the ATA pilots? You certainly showed them a lot of luv.

Not my fight...but I'll throw my .02 in....EAGLE: Answer me this:
How many WN pilots have left for the greener pastures of Air Tran? How about going the other way? Will all of those former Air Tran folks now working for WN get the seniority they would have gotten under your plan?

Not saying that IF this does happen there should be a staple...but 4:1 or even 6:1 is absurd IMHO

BTW...not a slam on your airline...I like you guys...I just want you guys to stay you guys and not become us. Not up to me though.
Ok all time dumbest post! What the hell are you talking about? I don't have a plan. If this thing does materialize, it is way above my pay grade. I posted an article written by an airline analyst. I didn't write it, read the damn post! I just fly airplanes. I don't care who left AirTran and went to Southwest, that was their gamble! So what the hell is your point? AirTran is a profitable thriving airline right now. AirTran is NOT TWA, not in bankruptcy and doesn't need Southwest in order to survive. Infact it is Southwest that is beginning to make moves showing they are aware of AirTran and their possibilities. Service to BOS, LGA, MSP, and now MKE. These may be pieces that Southwest is adding to its route structure, but with AirTran's cost structure and onboard amnenities, they have nothing to fear from Southwest. My passengers enjoy their assigned seats, the option to upgrade to business class, XM satellite radio, ability to purchase a snack, and now WI-FI. Thank you very much, you are now free to travel back to the hole you came up out of!

we didn't merge with ATA. It sucks that they lost their jobs, I won't deny that. this industry pretty much sucks in that regards.

Morris pilots have done pretty well. I've flown with some that I doubt were old enough to have an ATP when they came over to SWA. they've got 17 years seniority now at a fairly stable big airline with decent pay. there were even 2 or 3 pilots at Morris that had been fired from SWA, went to Morris, then came back with the merge.

Muse was an interesting story. I won't go into the particulars but basically we bought Muse to help out the guy who founded it (as he had helped found SWA but left in a snit and founded Muse as a 'back at you.') when their pilots wouldn't take what I've heard was a decent deal, Herb just shut it down.

Morris and Muse were well before my time. I may have details wrong but frankly, Morris was a few years old and tiny, same with Muse. It wasn't DAL/NWA or AWA/USair.

if you guys want to nurse 20 year old plus grudges, good on ya. I'm more concerned about the next 20 years.

Latest resources

Back