• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A new low... Good luck Mesa Captains.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to defend this sh!t hole operation, but losing an engine in a jet aircraft is virtually a non-event. Having 100 multi hours and getting hired to fly a CRJ isn't a big deal if you ask me. How about the guys getting hired to fly 135 checks in the middle of the night in overloaded Barons and 310's for example. They get hired with 15 hours of multi all the time and that's a hell of a lot more dangerous when an engine quits. There aren't many accidents attributed to losing control after an engine failure at these places either. I believe a lot of people who complain about low time hiring are pissed because they don't feel like people have paid their dues. That's fine, but safety of flight has virtually nothing to do with total multi time, at least in these jet aircraft.

I agree to disagree, the guys flying freight do not have a Captain , they are it , the problem with a low time RJ F/O is that they rely on the Capt and the automation too much, and when the automation does not work such as the autopilot or FMS or both, now that is an airshow to watch. What happens if the PIC becomes incapacitated, can that low time RJ F/O land the airplane safely by themselves.... doubtful, as a former Mesa Captain i can tell you from first hand experience with this problem.Mesa is starting to run into an even bigger problem....2 low time guys in both seats, that probably do not have 2000 hrs TT between the two of them, now is anyone scared.

Last edited:
Wow and I still remember the day only a short time ago that my buddy with 2500 tt was so excited and lucky to be the first person in a LONG time to be hired by anyone. That was Mesa, airplane: Beech 1900.

I agree to disagree, the guys flying freight do not have a Captain , they are it , the problem with a low time RJ F/O is that they rely on the Capt and the automation too much, and when the automation does not work such as the autopilot or FMS or both, now that is an airshow to watch. What happens if the PIC becomes incapacitated, can that low time RJ F/O land the airplane safely by themselves.... doubtful, as a former Mesa Captain i can tell you from first hand experience with this problem.Mesa is starting to run into an even bigger problem....2 low time guys in both seats, that probably do not have 2000 hrs TT between the two of them, now is anyone scared.

Last time I checked Mesa and a lot of other regionals require 2500 tt for the capt. due to ICAO requirements. So your comment should be 2800 between the two of them.

Not to defend this sh!t hole operation, but losing an engine in a jet aircraft is virtually a non-event. Having 100 multi hours and getting hired to fly a CRJ isn't a big deal if you ask me. How about the guys getting hired to fly 135 checks in the middle of the night in overloaded Barons and 310's for example. They get hired with 15 hours of multi all the time and that's a hell of a lot more dangerous when an engine quits. There aren't many accidents attributed to losing control after an engine failure at these places either. I believe a lot of people who complain about low time hiring are pissed because they don't feel like people have paid their dues. That's fine, but safety of flight has virtually nothing to do with total multi time, at least in these jet aircraft.
So how much should you have to pay to get one of these guys? What are they worth 5-10 years down the road? Why should passengers be paying so that a guy can get "experience" that would justify (somehow) a higher paycheck? And why doesn't MESA ALPA step in and say enough is enough?

Last time I checked Mesa and a lot of other regionals require 2500 tt for the capt. due to ICAO requirements. So your comment should be 2800 between the two of them.
Well when i upgraded i had less than 2500tt, it has been awhile since i have looked at the regs, i think the low timers are probably lacking something else for the ATP besides the 1500tt , then yes i think it would be around 2500tt.

So how much should you have to pay to get one of these guys? What are they worth 5-10 years down the road? Why should passengers be paying so that a guy can get "experience" that would justify (somehow) a higher paycheck? And why doesn't MESA ALPA step in and say enough is enough?
I think the FAA needs to step in along with ALPA before it starts raining sheet metal .

I didn't mention pay in my quote at all because pay has nothing to do with whether or not these guys can be safe in the aircraft. Sounds like you have an entirely new thread to start on that one.

There are quite a few CA's on the DHC in Freedom that have only 1510-1700 TT.

There is one, that as he was waiting for his FO IOE, went back and instructed so he could get his 1500hrs and is now a CA with all of 200 hrs SIC.

One CA has flown nothing larger than a Baron before he was hired on as a street CA. He couldn't have met the insurance requirements to fly a caravan before he came here.

And on the opposite end there are guys that are good sticks with 2000+ hrs with prior turbine time that are mature enough to wait and learn for 500 hours or more before they put their CA bid in even though they are desperate for the increased wage.

When they were hiring for the Freedom operation they were taking those who met the ATP minimums into a separate room and attempted to strong arm them into becoming street CA. Most of those guys were just instructors. Fortunately, most held their ground and are quite happy to be FO's after they have seen how the ops are.

Last edited:
Yeah I thought it was a hard 2500tt due to ICAO. Maybe that was just for the jets since the beech is eas and Dash don't fly international from jfk.

What happens if the PIC becomes incapacitated, can that low time RJ F/O land the airplane safely by themselves.... doubtful, as a former Mesa Captain i can tell you from first hand experience with this problem.

If an FO can't safely land an airplane by themselves, your check airmen/APD's/FAA inspectors need to sack up and start failing those FOs on their initial rides/recurrent pro checks.

Latest resources

Back