• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A new low... Good luck Mesa Captains.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Not to defend this sh!t hole operation, but losing an engine in a jet aircraft is virtually a non-event. Having 100 multi hours and getting hired to fly a CRJ isn't a big deal if you ask me. How about the guys getting hired to fly 135 checks in the middle of the night in overloaded Barons and 310's for example. They get hired with 15 hours of multi all the time and that's a hell of a lot more dangerous when an engine quits. There aren't many accidents attributed to losing control after an engine failure at these places either. I believe a lot of people who complain about low time hiring are pissed because they don't feel like people have paid their dues. That's fine, but safety of flight has virtually nothing to do with total multi time, at least in these jet aircraft.

Multi time can also be an indication of one's ability to work in a more complex and higher speed aircraft. No, 110-170kts is not screaming, but it does require a little bit more staying ahead than 70-105kts and nothing more complicated (systems-wise) than carb-heat.

Im afraid you are at least 5 years too late for the low-time multi job. If you can get a freight job with less than 300-500 multi, you will probably end up dead or violated cus the operation is uber-shady. Most FBO's wont even let you exercise your MEI without at least 100hrs multi anymore (and Ive heard of a few whose insurance required 300). Heck, a lot of FBOs wont rent their Mutli to you without 100hrs, if at all.

Not to defend this sh!t hole operation, but losing an engine in a jet aircraft is virtually a non-event. Having 100 multi hours and getting hired to fly a CRJ isn't a big deal if you ask me. How about the guys getting hired to fly 135 checks in the middle of the night in overloaded Barons and 310's for example. They get hired with 15 hours of multi all the time and that's a hell of a lot more dangerous when an engine quits. There aren't many accidents attributed to losing control after an engine failure at these places either. I believe a lot of people who complain about low time hiring are pissed because they don't feel like people have paid their dues. That's fine, but safety of flight has virtually nothing to do with total multi time, at least in these jet aircraft.

You are an idiot. They can't even keep the ball centered with both engines operating, and freak out when they AP/YD is MEL'd.

You want to scare the living Sh-- out of a regional FO (or even CA) that has little previous flight time, just shut off the FD and have him/her shoot a visual approach with out the ILS dialed in.

Last edited:

Ya, safety of flight has virtually nothing to do with flight time and experience.

Mesa's DEN base headed for closure

Just chatted with a friend in the training depart at Mesa-- they can't keep they Dash staffed and scheduling is flying everyone into the max 30hrs- - JR assigned.

They lost 16 Dash CAs last month... and more to come. Several guys coming over from freedom east coast - - but only after new training.
United is very upset at their performance and it looks like DEN is slated for closure and consolidate to PHX/GJT. Skywest's CRJs have been taking over little by little...

Watch for the new 'shoe' to house more RJs and little to no Dashes!

The problem with low time FO's is they don't know how dangerous they are. They make life difficult for the captain, but that fact does not register with them. What a disaster this job has become. I'm flying with losers. Everybody is a loser.

Multi time can also be an indication of one's ability to work in a more complex and higher speed aircraft. No, 110-170kts is not screaming, but it does require a little bit more staying ahead than 70-105kts and nothing more complicated (systems-wise) than carb-heat.

Im afraid you are at least 5 years too late for the low-time multi job. If you can get a freight job with less than 300-500 multi, you will probably end up dead or violated cus the operation is uber-shady. Most FBO's wont even let you exercise your MEI without at least 100hrs multi anymore (and Ive heard of a few whose insurance required 300). Heck, a lot of FBOs wont rent their Mutli to you without 100hrs, if at all.

Most of us at Airnet, which has an impeccable safety record in the Barons, 310's, Chieftains, and Caravans, were hired with less than 50 hours of multi. I myself had 15 hours. We're all still alive and doing well thank you very much. Good training and intelligence can keep you alive as long as you use them.

You are an idiot. They can't even keep the ball centered with both engines operating, and freak out when they AP/YD is MEL'd.

You want to scare the living Sh-- out of a regional FO (or even CA) that has little previous flight time, just shut off the FD and have him/her shoot a visual approach with out the ILS dialed in.

That's what a yaw damper is for, and why do you want to make them shoot an approach without the FD? To show off? Grow up and face reality. There are absolutely no statistics to prove that ab-initio flight training produces higher accident rates. British Airways, Lufthansa, and KLM come to mind. Our attitude in this country is one of culture vs. statistics.

Ya, safety of flight has virtually nothing to do with flight time and experience.

Again, reference the European model of flight training and quote me some accidents that were the result of low time pilots flying transport category aircraft. The statistics just aren't there.

I don't see anyone bashing AWAC for hiring 400 hour pilots. Tell me this isn't simply a Mesa bash just for the hell of it. Tell me it actually has to do with hiring low time pilots because you are really concerned about safety and not because you had to instruct forever to get a job or you had to fly checks for a couple years. If it's a safety things, why don't you guys give AWAC their share of grief because we certainly deserve it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back