A New Delta "Lite"???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ifly4food said:
This "deal" sounds like an opener for "jets for jobs" at Delta.

I don't think we are going to go that direction. U did it because they only have 70 jets allowed under their scope. As a Delta pilot (furloughed) I don't believe in jets for jobs. I don't think our negotiaters do either. If we start something new with a 100 seat jet or more, the flying will be done by Delta pilots. My2 cents

If I knew all the answers I'd have Leo Mullins job and that isn't going to happen anytime soon. But, like everyone else, I have one of those opinions.

Replacint Delta Express with RJs may be a nice idea from the point of view of the people that fly RJs, but does it makes sense? I don't think so. Delta needs to compete with JBlue and AirTran and to some extent SWA. The CASM of a 732 with 119 seats is too high in the Delta structure when compared to the competition's CASM. Replacing the equipment with something that has an even higher CASM (RJs) won't cut it.

Delta has a higher cost structure, they need a bigger airplane for EXPRESS not a smaller one. A cattle car that can match the CASM of the competition on select routes. Look for the 757 in single class configuration to do this. It has enough extra seats to offset DAL's higher costs and match the competition on the low fares to Florida.

They will use more RJs, but in markets that generate higher fares that cover the high CASM of the Delta owned RJ. That's why they wanted CHQ to replace CMR in the FL market. That market is low yield and Chautauqua, on a fee for departure contract, is dirt cheap. That will work for now. Eventually, they'll do the same thing with CHQ that they did with TSA and BEX, dump it when the time is right and go with their own stuff..

WOOHOO!

Surplus and I agree!

I have said for years that low yeild markets (FLA) need big airplanes. I agree that many of the former express markets will get 757's.

On a related not, the MCO 737-200 base is officially dead. 200's will initially go to CVG and the crew base will be closed officially by the end of 03.

This from a memo from our vp of flight ops.

Well, did I "luck out" or was that pure genius?

FDJ, you should listen to me more often. I know other cool stuff too.

Now when all those 732's get to CVG, do you think they will park them or fly them on the high density routes now flown by CMR? When they do replace the CMR flying, which is what I think will happen (so that CMR jets can attack AA and AAA routes), should we start complaining that you are "taking our jobs", or instead will you admit that this is how the business is supposed to work.

Hope the new plan succedes and you get back soon.

To my understanding, this will bring the -200's to CVG and use the Express pilots to fly them. This will have a virtual effect on Delta block hours (since Express hours don't count towards hours flown with regards to RJ percentages) as an increase. Thus allowing more RJ's, probably of the Chaquita Banana version.

Hope this means more jobs for all, but I don't think it is a two way street.

Delta express counts toward mainline Delta block hours so no more jets unless mainline was to grow. Sorry.

Surplus 1 it is so good that for the first time I hope you perdiction come true it would help a rather dismal week in aviation. I do hope that at some point we get back to growth at both mainline and DCI.

tbkane said:
Delta express counts toward mainline Delta block hours so no more jets unless mainline was to grow. Sorry.

You don't have to say sorry to me, if you are right, sounds good. I just somehow remember it that way. \

Funny how 10 months on furlough can scramble the mind.

NYRANGERS You+150

surplus1 said:

-----Don't know if it was luck or not, but any ideas which agree with mine are certainly "genius!"

-----Well, Surplus, I have listened to you for wayyyy too long, and haven't heard too much "cool stuff," but I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and keep listening!

Now when all those 732's get to CVG, do you think they will park them or fly them on the high density routes now flown by CMR?

----We'll see.

When they do replace the CMR flying, which is what I think will happen (so that CMR jets can attack AA and AAA routes), should we start complaining that you are "taking our jobs", or instead will you admit that this is how the business is supposed to work.

-----I don't know how many times I can say this, but I have no problems at all with how the business is supposed to work. I understand the value and purpose of rjs, and hope we continue to employ them. All I care about is the amount of my flying that Delta can outsource.

Many tell me that Delta could never make a profit with rjs on mainline. What is ironic is that many of those same people courageously struck for 89 days to bring CMR rj wages up to relative parity with mainline.

Thank you....I hope so too.

Last edited:
surplus1 said:

Now when all those 732's get to CVG, do you think they will park them or fly them on the high density routes now flown by CMR? When they do replace the CMR flying, which is what I think will happen (so that CMR jets can attack AA and AAA routes), should we start complaining that you are "taking our jobs", or instead will you admit that this is how the business is supposed to work.

I would hardly call it luck or pure genius. This has been the plan, 757s in MCO, for a while. The CVG 737 reintroduction has also been posted over on the ALPA national forum. I suspect that you have access to it. The 757s on Express had been sent out in a company memo. It wasn't really that hard to get one's hands on it. Take credit for genius if you must. The important thing is that we are actually developing a plan to deal with the low cost carriers. Of course, the Vegas base rumor is still pretty hot.........don't touch that dial.

CS

Latest resources

Back