Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Minimum Fuel Scenario..what would You do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I think we should boil him in oil, tar and feather him, then hang him, as he is being shot by the execution squad!
Jeez you guys are hard on someone asking for some help, even if it is a "Doh!" type question!
Here's my take. He is not going to get out of aviation because of some dumb forum. We might as well help everyone here asking any questions (as long as they are not planning something illegal and unsafe); anything they learn from the rest of us geniuses is going to improve our world and his.

Hello,
First of all, I'd not have accepted a release that had any weather issues that might have the potential to paint me into a corner. If you are weight restricted because of fuel... Oh well, bump people/bags and put on the extra gas. An astute crew would be monitoring the weather in route and have a back-up plan in place before this aforementioned scenario even comes up. If you aren't heading to your alternate when you reach "BINGO" fuel (burn to alternate+ reserve) than you already are screwing up. NEVER let ATC or especially DISPATCHERS fly your airplane!

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Hello,
First of all, I'd not have accepted a release that had any weather issues that might have the potential to paint me into a corner. If you are weight restricted because of fuel... Oh well, bump people/bags and put on the extra gas. An astute crew would be monitoring the weather in route and have a back-up plan in place before this aforementioned scenario even comes up. If you aren't heading to your alternate when you reach "BINGO" fuel (burn to alternate+ reserve) than you already are screwing up. NEVER let ATC or especially DISPATCHERS fly your airplane!

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

A wise man once told me that an airplane will more than likely fly over gross however it will most certainly not fly without gas. I always add extra fuel for me if the load permits and I have a concern. I usually don't even call dispatch and tell them. As long as the release is legal and the alternates are good the conservative viewpoint wins and if I want some gas and it costs a bit more at this airport..too bad. The rotorhead is right: bump people and bags and take some extra gas any time your spider sense tells you to. I've never had a dispatcher yell at me when I call and I'm holding with 30 minutes more fuel than they thought I had. Remember you can go anywhere listed on the release without exercising your emergency authority. The call to dispatch (especially on a bad day when all the planes he/she has in the air are all holding) is solely for system control and advice. I usually tell them when I am going to divert to my alternate unless they come up with a better plan.

I think we should boil him in oil, tar and feather him, then hang him, as he is being shot by the execution squad!
Jeez you guys are hard on someone asking for some help, even if it is a "Doh!" type question!
Here's my take. He is not going to get out of aviation because of some dumb forum. We might as well help everyone here asking any questions (as long as they are not planning something illegal and unsafe); anything they learn from the rest of us geniuses is going to improve our world and his.

Agreed. I actually feel for the guy! I also think he could have done some serious homework before getting painted into that corner. He's interviewing for an airline job and his training, education, and experience level is at a point where he thought that he was helping the situation by introducing yet another emergency to his situation. I know most of us bust our arses to get into this job and none of us know it all. Did anyone else come upon a recommendation to shut down a good engine to save fuel scenario anywhere in their training? He needs to hit the books and ask the questions before he goes and get's shot down at another interview. He's getting some feedback now for that turd of an answer. Being a group of sensitive, careing, loving, and giving pilots he's getting just a little whipping cream to put on top. I hope he keeps on and get's up to speed to make it in the future.

If you ever make friends with your recruiter at your airline, take them out and buy them some frosty adult beverages, then pick their brain for "dumbest airline answers" from both pilot AND F/A's.

It'll have you rolling ALL NIGHT at some of the stuff people say during interviews. Things so crazy you know it has to be true...

Incidentally, this is the problem we have with why being a CFI is not a working path to the airlines these days. They learn absolutely ZERO Part 121 CRM skills unless they go and get interview prep.

How many CFI's run into this scenario in their real instructing world? How often do they even fly cross-country in HARD IFR? Not much. So they have to learn it somewhere... the answer is WHERE? Unless they get a job as a 135 pilot and actually HAVE to fly when the weather is crap and learn the associated skills, there's nowhere they can read up on it.

That's why the airlines LIKE the pilot mills... they teach them all the right answers, check all the right boxes, all without really developing any REAL judgment-making skills, but they sound good during the interview... :rolleyes:

By the way, the initial question didn't have enough information. Your first job would have been to ask the interviewer a LOT more questions about your position. How did you get into this pickle - is this field your alternate? Where are you? Where is the CLOSEST controlled field with CFR? Do you have the fuel to make it ANYWHERE else that has at least equal or better weather (preferably legal) and that also has CFR in case you DO end up in the grass BY the runway trying to land?

Gotta figure out your options before you can make a command decision. Just not enough information to go on...

p.s. If you want to succeed in an airline interview and you have NO airline experience, you need to start studying. Start with Cheryl Cage's book on interview success, and add into it some other technical / scenario question books. I don't like to push AIR, Inc on people, but their Interview Survival seminar is a MUST if you haven't been formally trained on interview technique - I see hundreds of military personnel in there every time they give it.

If this isn't flame, then good luck to you.

Last edited:
We can all save our airlines. Why fly around with 2, 3, 4 engines burning all that gas when we can shut'em down enroute?

1- Push both throttle up to firewall power

2- Grip the yoke with both hands

3- Push above mention yoke as far forwrad as you can

4- Trim contol pressures out

5 - Adjust your seatbelt and shoulder harness for the impending sudden stop

6 - You now have the rest of your life to contemplate the situation you just got yourself into.

You are at minimum fuel, the nearest alternate is over 100 NM(which you certainly do NOT have enough fuel aboard to make it to)
You just went missed at a non-towered field because could not see anything at DH(or 100 abv TDZE),
wHAT DO YOU DO? Looking for some input in relation to what the 121 world would recommend?

Perhaps you didn't understand the question, min. fuel means you can not except any delay or a fuel emergency may result. Thus, you should be able to make it to your alternate with no problems plus have your 45 minute reserve. So what do you do? Call min. fuel and head for your alternate. Anything other than this means you have broken other regulations long before you got yourself in this situation.

Now, since this was really flamebait....you would come back around on the approach. You would have the PNF create waypoints on the GPS that border the airport boundary. When you get to DH, fly direct to boundary waypoints as fast as possible. You will be doing 360s around the airport. After about 3 of these you will have created enough of a vortex that you should be able to land under VMC. Option two, hit the hydraulic fluid crossfeed bypass. This will direct all of your hydraulic fluid to the engines creating combustion for a few extra precious seconds. Although this might create another kind of emergency, but you already seem to be into that kind of stuff. Third option when applicable would be to grab the pistol of which ever one of you are on the firearms training program and shoot the one of you in the head that got you in this situation.

Latest resources

Back