Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A Minimum Fuel Scenario..what would You do?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

dueguard1

ROTT MAN 4 LIFE!!!
You are at minimum fuel, the nearest alternate is over 100 NM(which you certainly do NOT have enough fuel aboard to make it to)
You just went missed at a non-towered field because could not see anything at DH(or 100 abv TDZE),
wHAT DO YOU DO? Looking for some input in relation to what the 121 world would recommend?

...During an interview I stated I would shut down 1 engine to conserve, fuel declare an emergency, notify operations, FA's, ATC, And request emergency personel be prepared on the field?
Looking for some feedback. Thanks

You are at minimum fuel, the nearest alternate is over 100 NM(which you certainly do NOT have enough fuel aboard to make it to)
You just went missed at a non-towered field because could not see anything at DH(or 100 abv TDZE),
wHAT DO YOU DO? Looking for some input in relation to what the 121 world would recommend?

...During an interview I stated I would shut down 1 engine to conserve, fuel declare an emergency, notify operations, FA's, ATC, And request emergency personel be prepared on the field?
divert before it becomes an issue....I'm guessing you didn't get that job....

Unfortunately shutting down an engine (on at least a 2 engine aircraft) will not result in less fuel being used. Drifting down from altitude yes, but bumping along at 5,000' not so sure. Then you have a whole new host of problems to deal with on top of your fuel EMERGENCY......At this point it's worse than just min fuel, you have a FUEL EMERGENCY.

Yeppers.

Fuel emergency
. You should have 45 minutes on board, right? So go somewhere, ANYWHERE, direct with priority handling to ANY airport that has an approach or VFR weather.

New guys get way too va-clemped about declaring emergencies. As long as you're doing what you're supposed to, it's NBD.

Hey due... "request equipment" WTF? over, you said you couldn't see anything, where are you going to have the equipment standing bye??

The answer to your question, I would have already been on the ground at some other airport. .... was going to explain the following to you, but never mind, I've already wasted enough time here.... ;)

B

Min fuel isn't an emergency but shutting that engine down is. You must have had enough fuel to get to your alternate. If you don't than declare the emergency and land below mins if you have to. I rather explain why I'm on the airfield with 1/4 vis than why I'm on a corn field. Just my opinion.

Dear Due,

you are a ********************ing idiot, thank GOD this is an interview question, which u obviously failed. I can only hope that my superiors have the foresight, wisdom, and prior experience to keep someone of your caliber from actually having some type of interaction in the aviation community. (My mother sometimes travels via air transportation, to visit me.)

B

Last edited:

WOW...

Is today April First? Please tell me yes!

I would pray that I wasn't a passenger in the back and that you were the CA. Please go somewhere that has a ten year upgrade.

Latest resources

Back