A Message from the AWA MEC

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

linecheck

PHOENIX, June 28 /PRNewswire-USNewswire/ -- The following statement is from the union leaders of the America West unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l. (ALPA).
In a desperate move, the pilots of US Airways are attempting to overturn an arbitrated seniority award by suing their own union. All 60,000 pilots represented by the Air Line Pilots Association will now be forced to use their union dollars to defend this complaint brought by the disgruntled pilots at US Airways.
Over the past two years, the America West and US Airways pilot groups have strictly adhered to ALPA Merger Policy to determine a new combined seniority list, as a result of the merger of the two airlines. This process included negotiations, mediation and arbitration. The failure of both sides to negotiate a settlement resulted in an arbitrated award that is final and binding.
While the "east" pilots characterized the award as "wholesale destruction," no US Airways pilot lost their position, base or pay. Instead, the award slotted 517 US Airways pilots at the top of the new seniority list, protected their desired international flying and assured them access to all growth at the airline. Despite the fact that on the eve of the merger, the pilots of US Airways were in their second bankruptcy, had more than 1,500 pilots on furlough and were facing liquidation, they believe that they are entitled to a new seniority list that would place their pilots, even those that were laid off at the time of the merger, above all their peers at America West.
The US Airways pilots erroneously pride themselves on having more experience than their counterparts at America West without any regard for the diverse military, airline and corporate backgrounds of all America West pilots. This arrogant approach to seniority is an inaccurate representation of the professionalism and experience of thousands of pilots represented by ALPA. Additionally, this lawsuit is a giant step backwards for all US Airways pilots both "east" and "west." Instead of focusing their resources on contract negotiations with management to obtain better pay, work rules and retirement for their pilots, the leadership of the US Airways "east" pilots is spending limited resources to overturn an arbitrated award.
In the meantime, US Airways management continues to cash in on millions of dollars in savings by keeping their pilots on one of the lowest pay scales in the industry. All pilots of the new US Airways deserve better and it is unfortunate the pilot union leaders on the "east" prefer litigation rather than abiding by their own union policies already established governing seniority integration.
The America West unit of ALPA is based in Phoenix and represents over 1800 pilots.
America West unit of the Air Line Pilots Association, Int'l.

Wow. Someone should have saved this is the "drafts" folder until they cooled down. It sounds like a whiney eighth-grader wrote it.

Wow. Someone should have saved this is the "drafts" folder until they cooled down. It sounds like a whiney eighth-grader wrote it.

Versus the whiney eighth-graders that actually filed the lawsuit?

I don't disagree with the message, just the phraseology. It's a press release, so it should have been written to AP journalist standards and as you can see, it was not.

It sounds like they're just firing back at US Air guys, who couldn't give a rat's ass anyway.

I don't disagree with the message, just the phraseology. It's a press release, so it should have been written to AP journalist standards and as you can see, it was not.

It sounds like they're just firing back at US Air guys, who couldn't give a rat's ass anyway.

Instead of talking s hit, why don't you compose a journalistic copy so that it can be sent to the media??

WD.

I could have saved the West MEC some time. It should have just said "Bite me you whiney little babies. You agreed to binding arbitration, go back to work." But that's just me. Flame away.

Instead of talking s hit, why don't you compose a journalistic copy so that it can be sent to the media??

WD.

Yo WD:
What's up dog? I hear things are heating up in the southwest, and I'm not talking temperatures!!;)
Looks like you and the rest of the cactus quartet are about to get your ass handed back to you. Of course you'll probably like that with how busy you've been on 44th street lately!:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

WD.

Too late. This was already sent to the media and places your MEC squarely on the "barely literate" shelf.

Or are you arguing that that was a fine piece of journalistic AP-style writing?

Sounds pretty clear cut and on point to me. Maybe the problem with press releases is that they don't actually say $hit in too many words.

seriously though guys, all bs aside, does everybody realize what is going on here? Basically US Airways is forcing all 60,000 pilots to waste our union dues on defending an absolutely frivulous lawsuit.

737 plt...instead of lalking sh#t you should be legitimately considered with the direction things are headed. Over the next 20 years there is a very good chance Dal could be involved in a merger of its own. Hopefully you won't have to deal with a group of whiners on par with AAA.

I would be embarrassed to wear an AAA uniform through any terminal these days. Procedure was followed perfectly and now that they don't like the award they have essentially decided to sue all Alpa pilots. AAA pilots, the gift that keeps on giving.

Latest resources

Back