• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A little pro-ALPA Koolaid for ya

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
As a DAL N guy I never quite understood the animosity btw DAL and its subs. But now I am getting up to speed quickly. These ********************ing yahoos act like they are negotiating from a posistion of power. It is our scope that ALLOWS them to have a job.

Then quit whining and take it back...You sold it, and it will cost more than you have to try and get it back...The simple fact is, none of have much power anymore because ALPA and the mainline pilots screwed scope up so bad....The Republic model is the next step and these "regionals" will end up becoming your competition.

By the way, you said you "allowed" it...Why did you "allow" your job to be put out to bid to the lowest bidder? Not too smart if you ask me.....

Cobraair75drvr said:
We should not be negotiating anything other than a staple with flow down IN SENIORITY or nothing.

I'll take nothing then...peddle your snake oil somewhere else...

Cobraair75drvr said:
Actually the corporation would be better off shifting the flying to one of the more junior feeders(such as compass) which would, at least short term save a ton of money.

That's smart....lower the cost of operating these DC9 size aircraft and let me know how that helps you in your negotiations....Ya think it might just put some more downward pressure on your rates....just maybe? It's that kind of stupid thinking that is partially to blame for your current situation.

Cobraair75drvr said:
The mid to junior asa/cmr pilots need to rein the guys in quick. Possibly a blanket party.

Now that's funny....:laugh:

:beer:

Even you Joe thought about coming here last time. Do Not even say you did not think about it!

I did not think about coming to Delta...I've never even filled out an application. Delta was never one of my "dreams"....I'll admit that ASA wasn't either....When I first got into the business, United and American were the two on my dream list...Thank God that never happened....

Okay, here goes again. This was the main point of my original post:

Now, with all that being said and ALPA's general depravity being established, I would like to submit that one big union, ALPA in this case, is still the last hope we have to effect positive change within our profession. From safety to general professional pilot advocacy, there is simply no alternative.

My point is we should all stop whining about back-stabbing and undercutting and bla blah blah. We're not going to get any level of seperate airline cooperation out of ALPA. That's it.

What we can get and should embrace is what ALPA can give us: A national advocacy organization for safety and the profession. Outside of that it's gonna be every group for themselves.

I swear, these DCI/DAL threads are always depressing. Can't you guys just get the f&^% along?! :rolleyes:

You sure are.

But nooooooo!!!!! I can't just hear how it went!!!! You wanted to make darn tooti'n sure there were 'real' narrow body jobs for your freakin Navy/Marine buddies.
I former commuter pilot and would have flogged my mule on main street for a staple when I was there.
Wouldn't want those pooh-pooh ex-military types to be forced to fly a wittle prop plane!!! And Oh my not even those wittle jets are good enough for our buddies!!
I would agree with you here if you were comparing apples to apples. But lets be real here. You know and I know a former military pilot is light years ahead of the typical commuter new hire fresh out of the puppy mill.

And by the way Cobradooosh, my point in all that is you idiots should have kept the flying in-house. Even if it meant your ex-military types would have to start out in props or wittle wittle jets. So now you've got us doing a really big part of the flying.

Like I said, you guys created us. So quit your whining!!!

That is correct sir.

A former ALPA National officer who was forced to leave ALPA addressed the USAPA crowd....

He stated that ALPA has been a federation.... perhaps like the 50 states. The decision for ALPA to function as a loose conglomerate of individual groups has been made and continues to be made...

But keep in mind... when the economy is growing... everyone seems to love the "federation" as we use each others industry leading contracts to get one up... Did anyone complain about UAL2000 and the ability for D-ALPA to get DAL2001?

So what happens during the anti-growth times? Say 9/11/2001 till 2007? [Or maybe it is ongoing....] Suddenly everyone wants ALPA to be a union that battens down the hatches, circles the wagons (with everyone within the circle....of course...) and makes sure that no one gets unfairly harmed...

Logic says we can't have it both ways... can we?

So right now, we want a union. ALPA to be a real union..... and protect all those who pay dues... DCI guys, Aloha, ATA, TWA, RJDC, etc...

But what happens when the economy grows again... do we switch back to the 'federation'? Can we? Have we considered what it would be like to be a union during the growth period? Would those who had economic growth at their companies be allowed to negotiate to the best of their ability and allow themselves a different economic gain (more) than others who could not? Would that be a union? Is a union where we ALL rise and fall together?

Would XYZ airline be content with being held back because they couldn't achieve more because fellow union brothers and sisters at ABC airline would be not included?

Rez- we're pushing the ten year mark on those gains. Ever since, it's been a total collapse of our wages and our way of life. I'd have to argue, that given the longevity of the downward spiral, it may indeed be time to alter how we do business. As it comes down to our current way of doing business- DCI vs. Mainline, Dr. Phil would ask "And how's that workin' for ya?" To which, I'm inclined to reply- "NOT TOO GOOD".

As for working at ACA, World, and Delta.....Goggles, glad your contract is superior in every way to the feeders and regionals. However, that simply puts you in the lime light for making too much, and being too extravigantly compensated. Frankly, no matter what we make, or how little, it will always be too much in the eyes of management.

Cobra- what do you mean about a few bad apples messing up the lotto ticket at the regional level? Doesn't it make sense that the bulk of a pilot group should be polled/ represented in number and opinion?

Frankly, there's no way this ship is going to sail......a combined list would be a disaster for management. Effectively handing us a method, as pilots, to push for higher wages without a method (scope and outsourcing) to stop it. The Delta vs. DCI battle is simple cost control for Delta management. They aren't going to write this method off- it's too effective at keeping operating cost low. Regionals are a flat line for labor cost- if one spikes it gets chopped off at the knees and the flying sent somewhere else.......or another carrier is formed to suit the cost structure. Just look at Compass and Mid Atlantic and where they came from. Thinking that Delta pilots or DCI pilots are in the drivers seat is proposterous, and down right laughable. Management has been in the drivers seat for the last 8 years, and doesn't seem to be changing- especially with the "better than...." complexes that run rampant within the Delta/DCI group.

ACL- please elaborate on Moak and ALPA National. You were a little ambiguous in what you would expect to happen, or not happen, if elected as head of national........

If I were a moderator, I would ban me.

This post has turned more vial than Delta Tie!!!

Kind of weird to see this thread. Arguing seniority in a merger that will never happen is really pointless. Frankly, Joe's made the right call for Joe. ACL has made the right call for ACL. Both did well with the decisions they made.

Neither did better than the other, they did the best for themselves and their families. Both are successful.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back