A Hero Disgraced

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
LJDRVR said:
Of course, any time he serves won't be behind bars, but will instead be behind the fences of a white-collar "Club Med" facility like the one at Eglin.

Send him to Folsom State Prison.
He should get the opportunity to go to a "Federal Pound-Him-In-The-A$$-Prison."

Occam's Razor said:
GV,

Randy "The Crook" Cunningham never commanded Fighter Weapons School. He did command VF-126, an adversary squadron...but never TopGun.

http://www.skyhawk.org/3E/va126/va126.htm#COS

I agree with your post. I was never as impressed with Cunnignham as much as he was. When flying against him out of Miramar, the standard joke was to call "Check Gas!" every 15-seconds in the engagement...just to make sure he wasn't losing track, again!

He was a good driver, though.

OR,
You're the second person to alluded to him running out of gas. Were you implying there might be some truth to him doing so on the 3 Mig kill mission? Just curious. I had always enjoyed the end of the story....dodging 18 SAMs (...well, 17) and then barrel rolling out to sea with no hydraulics after killing 3 Migs. I'd never considered it to be anything other than a great display of flying. Now you (and Duke, of course) have got me wondering.
What a shame.

Sad

After his time, and it sounds like he should do some, he's going to end up selling $5 autographs at car shows.

He's also going to find out that all his "buddies" that were giving him free transcon Gulfstream rides and high end golf dues never gave a chit what he did in the first place. They'll consider him a leper, not for moral reasons, just because he'll be useless to them.

I hope he treated his real buddies well in the last few years.

Running out of gas

Cunningham may be a crook and an egomaniac but it is a bald faced "cheap shot" about running out of gas. He was smoking and on fire and his hydraulics were shot. When you run out of gas in an F4 or any other Navy jet you do not lose hydraulics. The F4, for instance, has a RAT or ram air turbine. Without damage he would simply have glided to minimum altitude and ejected. There would have been no need for the rolling...only would have lost him a lot of altitude.

AdlerDriver said:
You're the second person to alluded to him running out of gas. Were you implying there might be some truth to him doing so on the 3 Mig kill mission? Just curious. I had always enjoyed the end of the story....dodging 18 SAMs (...well, 17) and then barrel rolling out to sea with no hydraulics after killing 3 Migs. I'd never considered it to be anything other than a great display of flying. Now you (and Duke, of course) have got me wondering.
What a shame.

I have about 1,500 hours it the F-4. I know what it burns per minute in a dogfight. I know how much fuel it carries. I've heard his de-brief on the mission (load-out, fuel load, altitudes, engagement duration, distance from the ship, etc). I've got an autographed copy of his book.

I'm good enough at math to know what happened.

The unwritten rule was that we never try to dilute the impact of an amazing feat by another fighter pilot. He bagged three in one flight. No question. He had great hands and mastery of a difficult aircraft to fight with.

But the calculator doesn't lie.

A narrative that ends, "...and then we ran out of gas." is not the stuff of sky gods. The fact that one of his wingman (he only had 2 that day, instead of 3) trapped with 3.1 - without a 4-minute engagement with Col Toon - tends to support the theory.

Only "Duke" and "Irish" know for certain.

Whenever any of his peers would bust his chops at 'Hook or at the Miramar O'Club, Duke would hold up his hand with all 5 fingers spread out.

"Five"

So let me make it clear: I wasn't there and have no idea whether he ran out go-juice, ran out of go-juice and then got popped by a SAM...or if he just got popped by a SAM.

Still, there are enough of us with Phantom savvy who know a weak narrative when we hear one. Sam Flynn (another Phantom driver, and MiG killer) told a gathering of us, "If you run outta gas, make sure you've got 3 kills...or they'll hang yer a$$"

The man is dead to us.

His deeds live on...

Learn from them, good and bad.

Occam's Razor said:
Still, there are enough of us with Phantom savvy who know a weak narrative when we hear one. Sam Flynn (another Phantom driver, and MiG killer) told a gathering of us, "If you run outta gas, make sure you've got 3 kills...or they'll hang yer a$$"

CAPT Flynn, used to enjoy having him as a sim instructor at Oceana, always good for a great story or a quote (also meant less time in the sim!).

cheese said:
CAPT Flynn, used to enjoy having him as a sim instructor at Oceana, always good for a great story or a quote (also meant less time in the sim!).

I was at Kingsville with Sam Flynn, Bug Roach, and Norm McCoy (F-8 MiG killer). Between the 3 of them, the Club was a great place to hang out!

I don't think any one of them ever bought a beer. All they had to do was say, "I remember once...." and the rest of us would dislocate a knuckle trying to get our wallets out fast enough.

Great guys!

Latest resources

Back