• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

A good First Officer would...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Keep your igloo cooler with 2 months food supply towards the back of the flightdeck, or on top of your flightbag or behind your seat, I'm OLD and not nearly as limber as you are. Don't want to break a hip climbing into or out of the seat.

Express interest in Captain flows. Participate in decision making re MEL's, Fuel, alternates..etc.

Always try and encourage the FO to think like a captain, especially once holding comes up by asking them what our BINGO fuel number will be and why?

I have asked many captains what the hardest thing about upgrade was. Without a doubt, dealing the the FA's is the most common answer.

Ask the captain if you can do the crew briefing to get use to it and feedback on what could be included. Ask the captain if you can do the PA's on the ground. Try and get to the lobby 5 min prior to van time, so you don't keep others waiting.

That's all I've got, good luck during upgrade!

Lot's of good advice up there. I agree with:

Let the captain know you're upgrading so he-or-she/it can give you pointers and give you insight on decision a captain needs to make (wx, mx, dx, etc.).

As a new FO, you should resign yourself to being a high-speed secretary. Figure out which way each CA wants it and do it that way. You'll be happier this way, and after a year or so you'll start to see a pattern of the way different CA's do things differently.

Don't hang out at the crew lounge or read Flight Info. If you do, you will soon come to the conclusion that pilots are just a bunch of whiners and complainers. I assure you, they are not.

Company procedures are generally well thought out and are logical. When a procedure calls for the CA to call for a checklist, it's because someone who devoted a lot of time to thinking about it decided that it would be good for TWO people to be involved in the selection of the correct checklist. Anyone here ever skip something because the FO self-initiated a checklist?

Always treat your crew with respect. Always. The people that you work with every day are more than company units. They are people with feelings, outside problems, and egos, just like you.

One last thing: don't get into a bitching contest. The best possible outcome is that you win a bitching contest.

Last edited:
Wow, some nice responses...am I still on flightinfo?

All of the above, especially the part about listening and watching more than just flying the airplane-that's what so many fail to understand. Flying the aircraft is a given, the left seat is all about decisions/safety/legality and when to tell the FA to shut up.

Be aware that you are not in charge. Too many FO's that I fly with try to make all kinds of decisions that they should not be making. ex. Fo's doing the walk around and when the comping back up to the flight deck and saying, "I ordered fuel for you". Well I am sorry, but that is not cool.

Someone already said, you are not the right seat Captain, you are a Captain in training. So most of the time, it is more important to listen than to make your point. Even if you succeed in making your point, it still probably wont be done your way. Try to take something from each Capt that you fly with and make it your own.

Everyone can learn from someone else, that includes Captains learning from FO's. Most likely the Captains that you fly with have developed a system that works for them and they will rarely stray from a system that has worked for them for years.

For the Captain, actually flying the airplane is only about 10 percent of the job, the other 90% is trying to foresee what might be needed 500 to 1000 miles down the road. You can be the best FO in the world, but untill you are put in the left seat, you wont understand. Not to say that it is a harder job that the right seat, but it is different.

The fact that you come on here and ask your peers how to be a good FO gives great insight to the type of FO you will be.

X

A Good FO will not try and be a right seat CA. They will also do their job and do it to the best of their ability. They will be assertive if need be. They will also take no nonsense from CAs who try to micromanage or bully them. They will aslo cover the CA's a-- if he's messing up. (It's your butt on the line as well) They will also treat the other crew members with respect and dignity, even if they are non deserving.
Above all, maintain their professionalism, even if the others don't.

It will be interesting to see how well this works out with 7 years Captains being downgraded to FOs.

Latest resources

Back