A free hotel room? Ha!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

G2T

I just want to start by saying, this is not a rip on SW, they just happen be the airline involved.

Last night I was cruising the channels and stopped on A&E. The show Airline was on. Even though the show usually gets me fired up and angry at the passengers actions, I cracked a beer and stopped to watch the action unfold anyway. There was a guy on who for one reason or another got bumped from his flight. The airline said they could put him on the standby list for a flight later that night, or they could book him on the first one out in the morning. He was extremely upset (which can be understood) and wanted compensation for the inconvenience. He demanded a hotel room for the night and dinner. My question is this: If you pay $89 dollars for an airline ticket, is it reasonable to demand a hotel room which will cost just as much, if not more from the airline? I could understand it if you paid full fare for a first class int'l ticket, but does anyone else find this ridiculous? :angryfire

On a lighter note, there was also a guy who tried to check his cat in a soft-sided duffel bag, that was entertaining.

He should have put the cat in his carry on, in case he got hungry enroute.

I agree, take your $89 dollar coast to coast ticket and jam it up your a$s. No you can't have a freaking hotel room!

I liked the witchy mom who showed up for an earlier flight, which she couldn't get on without paying for an upgrade. The early flight went out with empty seats -- and her confirmed later flight went out with Denied Boardings.

I so wanted to see her get bumped. Not the kids -- just her.

81Horse said:
I so wanted to see her get bumped. Not the kids -- just her.

ME TOO. That's what i'm talking about, the whole attitude that the airline owes you. That lady tried to guilt the gate agent because she had so much time to kill with her kids. But really, it was the customers decision to SHOW UP 3 HOURS EARLY for her flight.

The guy with the cat should have been reported to the ASPCA.

just to play devils advocate, You dont know how much he paid, He could have paid the 299 fare, instead of the 89 dollar fare u asssume. We dont know that.

but besides that, why does it matter how much they paid for their ticket? SWA offered a price for their product at 89 bucks, even if you think its worth 500. If you buy a stereo on sale at bestbuy for 50% off, you still expect it to work just as if you bought it at regular price right? so how is that different from an airline ticket?

GogglesPisano said:
The guy with the cat should have been reported to the ASPCA.

And the druggie mom with the little boy should have been reported to Child Protective Services. (Agent: "We can only do what we can do ... ")

blackbox said:
just to play devils advocate, You dont know how much he paid, He could have paid the 299 fare, instead of the 89 dollar fare u asssume. We dont know that.

but besides that, why does it matter how much they paid for their ticket? SWA offered a price for their product at 89 bucks, even if you think its worth 500. If you buy a stereo on sale at bestbuy for 50% off, you still expect it to work just as if you bought it at regular price right? so how is that different from an airline ticket?
Good point, he may have paid a full fare, and there are certain expectations that should be met when you purchase things, I'll give you that. I was just using him a general example for things that I see on a daily basis. There are so many variables in the business that the public does not consider, nor do they have any patience for(e.g. MX, WX). They just know that if their flight gets delayed or cancelled that they got screwed and want compensation. Do we (the airline) really owe them because we delayed a flight in the interest of THEIR safety? That's where I get frustrated, that there is ZERO patience on behalf of the customer.

... nor do they have any patience for(e.g. MX, WX) ...

Which is why I think captains should make these announcements at the gate. "Folks, maintenance tells us we got a iddy-biddy 'problem' with our plane today. And the weather folks say it's blizzardin' somethin' fierce over at our destination. But I'll tell you what -- me and First Officer Biff are feelin' real sharp today, and we're willin' to give it the ole ABC Airlines try. We figure we got a solid 50-50 chance of getting where we wanna go, so y'all are welcome to come along with us. If you're feelin' lucky today. Otherwise, you got about a two-hour delay, minimum. So. Raise your hand right now if you wanna board this ole plane with me and Biff."

81Horse said:
Which is why I think captains should make these announcements at the gate. "Folks, maintenance tells us we got a iddy-biddy 'problem' with our plane today. And the weather folks say it's blizzardin' somethin' fierce over at our destination. But I'll tell you what -- me and First Officer Biff are feelin' real sharp today, and we're willin' to give it the ole ABC Airlines try. We figure we got a solid 50-50 chance of getting where we wanna go, so y'all are welcome to come along with us. If you're feelin' lucky today. Otherwise, you got about a two-hour delay, minimum. So. Raise your hand right now if you wanna board this ole plane with me and Biff."

I love it! It would be very entertaining to hear that announcment. Although, I would almost be scared to look around and see how many people would raise their hand to go, since they weren't really listening and all they heard was "Raise your hand right now if you wanna board this ole plane with me and Biff."

Latest resources

Back