A few NJI Questions

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

On Your Six

I am sure some of this info has been covered before. I have a friend who flies the GIV/V for the USAF and he is considering his next move. NJI is of interest to him, but of course there is a lot of confusion with the NJA/NJI situation and current hiring needs. So, I have a few questions (not trying to start a fight between NJI and NJA):

1. What is the probability for each that a newhire would start on the older GIV, GV or the newer G450/550? Can newhires start in the G450/G550?

2. Do the G450 pilots also fly the G550 due to the common flight deck?

3. How many non-NJA pilots are expected to be hired onto NJI this year? Any estimated numbers for 2007?

4. What is the approximate first year income (with per diem and without per diem) for a newhire? Does it vary based on aircraft type (GIV, GV or G450/550 FO)? I have seen airlinepilotcentral.com data but I'd like to hear about the average with and without per diem.

5. Does NJI offer the same 7/7 schedule as NJA?

6. For a NJI newhire, what is the "estimated" time to upgrade if the status quo with regard to NJA is maintained?

7. For those who work at NJI, general opinions of working there, QOL, etc. would be helpful as well. I have heard good things about working there.

Thanks for any replies and details. I hope to not stir the waters too much between the groups - just trying to get some facts for a buddy.

PMs are welcome too.

Last edited:
I am surprised with all of the NJI guys prowling this website that nobody has answered yet.

Did anyone see that WSJ ad with Tiger Woods standing in front of "his" Gulfstream 450? Pretty nice ad - I am sure it will convince some wealthy people to look into NJI/NJA.

answers

1. All new hires start as FO on the GIV. On occasion GV-FO slots are announced and it is mostly a first come first serve situation. If you go to the GV as an FO you will have a 2 year seat lock.

2. GIV is one fleet
-GV, G450, G550 is one fleet

3. approx 6 new aircraft in 2007 = approx 13 NJA pilots moving over. One third of new captains come from NJA. Half new FO's come from NJA.

4. NJI is non per diem. First year pay approx 65-70k.

5. yes

6. all depends on single carrier suit. Just a guess, if you got hired today, probably 3-5 years if things remain the same. Remember, just a guess.

7. QOL is great. There are always going to be issues no matter where you go, but overall it is a great place to work.

Last edited:
johnsonrod said:
NJI guys prowling this website

Yikes Dude!

You make us sound like a bunch of fat old nasty guys sitting in the dark... naked... surfing the net....

(I do fit 2 of the 3 though):eek:

WP

The schedule is 7 on and 7 off. The salary cap I have no idea. We dont have that. I guess we stop making more money when our customers stop making money.

NJA is the only one with the Salary cap.!?!?!?

There is no published payscale .. they each make their own deal and noone knows for sure what anyone else makes. Pilots junior to someone making more than them is one of the common but few gripes I have heard from NJI pilots. That may be changing with the NJA pilots going over. Don't know for sure, just saw it on the radio.

We call that Section 27 of the 2005 CBA.

Everyone gets the same payscale regardless of friends in management.

Just say no to the A-Team.

Translation: Lowest Common Denominator

Anyone with reasonable skills and attitude can do better on their own.

Guess thats why you can't fly the line.

Latest resources

Back