Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

apcooper

Dude, where's my country?
At the moment on MSNBC they are having a documentary about the A-330 that had a double eng failure that glided into the Azores! Hope the media gets it straight!!

It's been on the National Geographic channel several times and it's represented pretty well.
Pretty interesting that the flight crew was demoted for getting the plane in that situation, then promoted for landing safely.

One hell of a job dead-sticking that airplane...

Just watched that special yesterday, it was done pretty well, the crew did an excellent job from what was portrayed.

JetSpeed219 said:
Just watched that special yesterday, it was done pretty well, the crew did an excellent job from what was portrayed.

I have watched it several times too.
Somebody (here?) said "What 'Great Job'? the tank was getting lower so they addressed ONLY the imbalance.........NOT the lowering quantity indication."
I think they were saying it seemed silly to pump remaining fuel into a tank that kept indicating lower. And "oh well, stupid electronic indicators".

Was this person (who posed this opinion) just practicing 20:20 retrospection? Or have most of us forgot basics of troubleshooting because of all the spoon-feeding we are getting?

I don't know. I don't second guess anyone. This is what I heard and want to learn from it.

I'm not practicing 20-20 "retrospection". I'm telling it like it is.

They d!cked up the procedure, plain and simple. It took superior airmanship to pull themselves and their passengers from a dire situation that their poor judgement and procedural knowledge put them into.

Hardly an "excellent job". It was an embarrasment. Fortunately, that's ALL it was.

By the way. Do a little research into this illustrious Captain's past. I wonder how he was even there in the first place.

That's why 3 or 4 engines are better than 2 for crossing oceans. Even when the checklist calls for shutting down an engine, pilots are reluctant to shutdown an engine when it means they will only have one left....

Brad

I worked that TSC236 that night through Maine. I keep missing that show. What is the title of the program so I can TIVO it?

TriStar_drvr said:
That's why 3 or 4 engines are better than 2 for crossing oceans. Even when the checklist calls for shutting down an engine, pilots are reluctant to shutdown an engine when it means they will only have one left....

Brad

I'm not sure more engines will help when there is no gas to feed them..

Latest resources

Back