90 Seat RJs - Redefining the Profession

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Review

Why don't you take the revenue for all the regionals, add SWA, Alaska, and AirTran, ATA, Frontier and the rest, and compare those totals, roi, roa, etc. on to what we now call the majors.

Then think about what any of them does in combination with the others. Think no more wholly owneds at all.

I thinks that a RJ airline should be required by law to connect the dots from every hub and spoke mainline system. That means no Miami, Atlanta, Chicago but Chicago-Miami via an RJ. The same goes for the rest of the system. Give the American people what they deserve and not the garbage that they have now.

Embraer

As an aside, at the RAA I had the opportunity to see the new Embraer 170 which is the base for their second group of larger regional jets. It is a fantastic looking aircraft and terrific looking cockpit. Real big aircraft feel rather than the small tube effect.

There is no question at all that the so called regional is going through a metamorphisis. It started with Comair strike and has not stopped since.

Hi!

Splurt:
Air Wisconsin is the best paying regional. In about 3.5 years, at the end of their current contract, a first year FO will make about $40K, substantially more than a NWA 1st year guy. I think with their work rules, senior captains there will be making $120-150K. They have a very nice retirement package.

Most of the regionals have 401Ks, and some have better retirements, though I think AWAC is the best of the bunch.

Have fun flying your big iron. I would love to fly a 737, which would be smaller than what I used to fly, but bigger than the C-182 I'm flying now!

Cliff
GB,WI

To the Major!?

I'm wondering if the CFI's on this board now will end up having to stay at the Regional level as a career with the rate that RJ's are growing. No doubt an RJ can replace a 737 over the same route, the bean counters love this and would rather pay an RJ crew than a mainline crew. Why not, take LAX to PHX, Skywest is flying an RJ instead of UAL flying a 737. We are our own worst emeny, all of us have to deal with this evolution that will change the industry in the long run.

Re: Embraer

publisher said:
There is no question at all that the so called regional is going through a metamorphisis. It started with Comair strike and has not stopped since.

What started with the Comair Strike? What exactly are you saying?

The customer will define the market. Not the pilot. Keep jamming the rj down their throat and you will drive them away. They will gladly fly SWA or JB for the bigger A/C. People don't want to fly on "little" airplanes. They will pay more to ride a larger A/C. In the long run relying on an RJ that competes on a route with one offered by a mainliner, the customer will pick the bigger A/C every time. The only pax that like these jets are the ones in markets only sevred by them where they don't have a choice.

Call me crazy... but if a city has service options of two 757's a day or 6 RJ's a day. I think the multiple time option would be the better choice. The struggle of the RJ is to use it in the efficient time periods in the right sized markets.
Many cities are offered much more service options per day because of the RJ.

Ask a passenger what they want out of an airline?
1. Safety
2. On time
3 Customer service

That's the fact Jack.

I personally like the fact that I can be boarded in 10 minutes, drop my bag by the step and get it when I get off. Convience.

Speed, comfort, service are all the same. I guess I don't get to watch those funny bloopers though.

Good luck to us all.

Latest resources

Back